Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:47 PM

9,912 posts, read 7,257,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
LOL, I think you are proving my point. A couple of check engine lights and an AC relay is pretty bad for a car that's only 10 years old.

I sold my 2002 Toyota Corolla a few years ago with 150K miles. The only thing I ever did to it was brakes, tires, oil changes, and typical maintenance. Never had a CEL or anything like that.

My mechanic friend loves Audis, but he admitted he would never drive one if he wasn't a mechanic.
That Passat was better than the last two Hondas I owned. AC compressors, regular check engine lights, bad EGR valves, et al. That Passat was one of the best cars I ever owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 05:06 AM

6,579 posts, read 7,185,344 times
https://www.yahoo.com/news/half-japa...040100077.html

Say this today, goes along with what the OP is asking...but it's just a prediction of someone.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:26 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,512,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Competition breeds quality. There once were many American makes. Virtually all were good. The Detroit 3 set out to run off the competition and through undercutting prices and other dirty tricks, succeeded in putting the competition out of business. With so little competition, quality of the Detroit 3 plummeted. Now Detroit junk has been trying to catch up with Asian quality for decades and still haven't begun to catch up. I shudder to think how dismal the quality Detroit would spew out if they didn't have competition.
Truth. I remember hearing some years back that the Big 3 (more or less) should merge, which I thought was ludicrous for what should be obvious reasons. Not too long back, Ford and GM joined up for a 6-speed auto trans. Big piece of junk and reaffirmed my thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Ah yes - the infamous focus group of 1.

I just traded in a 2005 Passat with 130K miles on it. It was not an electronics disaster. My coil packs and window regulators were fine. I did have a couple of check engine lights but nothing out of the ordinary and I had to replace an AC relay.
The problem is that all VWs should be like that. You'd think the Germans could pull that off, though maybe not as much with their Mexican-made vehicles...my sister's Jetta had a bad AC condenser from the factory. This shouldn't be rocket science for all the practice VW should have at this stuff.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:40 PM

178 posts, read 163,024 times
Economies of scale is why part sharing occurs. Lexus vehicles making their own parts would jack up the price too much against the competition. The bread and butter of Lexus is their RX crossover, which has no true Toyota equivalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive