Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Shall I post the link in the other thread where I completely and totally refuted this bogus claim? And where members of Texas law enforcement acknowledge that the law favors those speeding more than it does those cruising in the left-hand lane? I'm happy to do so, since it seems to have escaped your attention that your claims are completely and utterly wrong.
No. Because I'll just start laughing uproariously at your screen name and how inappropriate it is. You didn't "completely and totally refute" the claim, by the way. You just cherry picked and ignored the other case law cited in the appellate court's decision. Granted, I used to be a legal assistant and am thus not unfamiliar with this particular tactic on the part of some lawyers, but it still makes me giggle when someone expects me to take them seriously when they do it.

Sort of like quoting the keep right statute and persistently ignoring the speed limit part of the statute rather than acknowledging that both exist and both are equally the law no matter which lane you're in. That's so obvious that a toddler would recognize it.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:06 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Right or left lane I go the speed limit or a little over, still cars pass me all the time.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Why do you bother?
Isn't it more why do I bother? It's so clear that statutes, case law, etc., are not acceptable replacements for speed for some (which is, of course, why it is necessary to have those statutes and case law in the first place) and nothing, but nothing, is to get in the way of the need for speed and the right to do what one wants, when one wants, no matter what, at all times.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
There are other reasons why there are less traffic fatalities despite higher speed limits in Germany. Licenses are harder to get there, it takes more training and money. I believe it costs a couple thousand dollars and years of training for a license. It's not 10 weeks of drivers ed and $30 for a test like it is here. We keep saying driving is a privilege and not a right but with the rate they give out a license, you wouldn't think so. Also, their vehicles are strictly inspected, no junk vehicles like we have here. It's really bad here in El Paso with body panels hanging off, non-functional brake lights, bald tires, cracked windshields, etc.

Blocking traffic in the left hand lane and causing people to go around you is more dangerous than people just cruising at a constant speed even if it's over the limit.

I think if one is caught moping along in the left hand lane, they shouldn't get a ticket, just impound their car and impose cash fines for the violation, the tow and impound fees. A ticket doesn't seem to send the message quite clear enough.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:17 PM

33 posts, read 25,573 times
I'm in FL. It is important to note in my state if you go the speed limit on any sort of highway in any lane you'll be passed by hordes of traffic and likely ran off the road. The police here don't care, they are doing 100 as well. Speeding tickets are very rare here because if the police pulled over every person who was speeding there would be no one on the road. Even when you do get ticketed you can just take the ticket(s) to a law firm and they are quickly dismissed without any negative consequence to the driver other than a small lawyer's fee.

People from places like Texas and Iowa move here and complain about the "bad drivers" when in fact it is just a different style of driving. Kind of like a person who spent most of their life driving in rural Wyoming than subsequently moved to Bangkok or New Delhi and complained about the "awful drivers" in those sort of places. You simply can't drive small town one stoplight style in a major metropolis. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:18 PM

231 posts, read 226,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Did you even READ the post you quoted? Or did your knee jerking keep you from being able to comprehend what you read?

Here it is again.

If you insist on driving below the speed limit in the left lane (assuming traffic and road conditions are fine), you need to move over.

See? I'm telling people to get the heck out of your way. That's what you want, isn't it?

However, if you want someone to obey the keep right law so that you can violate the speed limit law, yes, you are a hypocrite no matter how much you deny it.
No, I'm not a hypocrite, because anyone with more than a handful of brain cells understands the "follow traffic speed rules" and knows that sometimes (often, actually) traffic travels at more than the speed limit.

So if you want to go on cruise control at exactly 60mph or whatever the limit is, go ahead! Just do it in the right lane. And if you really want to stick to the left lane despite the fact that traffic is forced to divert around you- you are breaking the law. And you deserve a ticket. Simple, really. Glad they are cracking down.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:18 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
No. Because I'll just start laughing uproariously at your screen name and how inappropriate it is. You didn't "completely and totally refute" the claim, by the way. You just cherry picked and ignored the other case law cited in the appellate court's decision. Granted, I used to be a legal assistant and am thus not unfamiliar with this particular tactic on the part of some lawyers, but it still makes me giggle when someone expects me to take them seriously when they do it.

Sort of like quoting the keep right statute and persistently ignoring the speed limit part of the statute rather than acknowledging that both exist and both are equally the law no matter which lane you're in. That's so obvious that a toddler would recognize it.

Ah, you mean the case you posted that has literally nothing to do with what you claim it does? If I were to use that case as the basis of an argument regarding either (i) speeding, or (ii) some claim that the keep-right law only applies with posted signage, a court would laugh me out of there. Or the keep-right statute that has been repeatedly posted that says you're wrong about the "left lane for passing only applies only if signage is posted" claim that you repeatedly make? Or the multiple news articles regarding enforcement of the keep-right law that also completely and totally refutes your claim?

It's funny to me that you keep attacking my username and keep relying on some experience you may have had at one point in time being a legal assistant. You're wrong. You have been, and continue to be, wrong. Others have pointed it out as well. Since you seem to be intent on making personal attacks against me rather than focusing on the question at hand (which in and of itself is further evidence that you are wrong, since you have nothing else to do but attack me), I will simply point out that your experience as a "legal assistant" is probably not the best thing to rely on if you're talking about interpreting case law.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:39 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
I do my best to adhere to this, but in certain heavily traveled four lane highways the left lane has become the de facto "passenger car" lane while the right lane has become the big rig truck lane. I travel I-5 in Central California quite a lot and there will be a string of up to 20 trucks doing 55-60 all bunched together and a left lane packed with cars trying to get around them. After that string of trucks there will be another in just a few miles. This is all out in the middle of nowhere and the speed limit is ostensibly 70 MPH. Its hopeless to try to do the preferred method and everyone knows it. Too damned many big rigs.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:48 PM

531 posts, read 384,620 times
Whatever lane Im in, if someone comes flying up on my tail I slow down to make them angrier. If tis space for me to move over, then they can use that same space to get around me. Im not going out of my way for some impatient moron. Makes for a good laugh though watching how angry they get.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:07 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I would be considered aggressive in my driving, although to me it's just driving. I am for the most part a left lane driver because I wanna get where I am going as quickly as possible. I don't care about fuel economy. I am not doing 90 or 100 mph but I am not doing the speed limit either. More often than not there is another driver going faster than me. When I see this driver rapidly approaching me I get out of the way and let him pass. It's not hard to do.
So you admit to breaking two laws...speeding and staying in the left lane that is for passing.

The entitlement attitude is rich in your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive