Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,383,830 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite tyre brand, in terms of cost benefit.
I really like Michelin, but i find them to wear out faster than any other tyre i've used.
I am on the market for 225/40R18( mercedes cla 250) any suggestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 10:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
For me, it depends on the car, how/where it's used, and the tires. The brand name doesn't have anything to do with the tire wear. Michelin makes tires that wear for a long time if you want them. But the handling or ride might not be what you want. Pretty much everything with tires is a compromise, so you have to decide what is most important to you, what conditions you drive in, etc. If you want to learn about tires, Tire Rack is a good place to go to compare different tires, performance, reviews, user reports, etc.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:48 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,593,442 times
i don't know what a tyre is

Old 10-24-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
i don't know what a tyre is
"Tire and tyre both mean a covering for a wheel, usually made of rubber. Tire is the preferred spelling in the U.S. and Canada. Tyre is preferred in most varieties of English outside North America. Of course, all English speakers use tire in the sense to grow weary."

Old 10-24-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
For me, it depends on the car, how/where it's used, and the tires. The brand name doesn't have anything to do with the tire wear. Michelin makes tires that wear for a long time if you want them. But the handling or ride might not be what you want. Pretty much everything with tires is a compromise, so you have to decide what is most important to you, what conditions you drive in, etc. If you want to learn about tires, Tire Rack is a good place to go to compare different tires, performance, reviews, user reports, etc.
It's a Mercedes CLA 250. I like grip which normally means softer rubber thus more wear and tear, but michelins just seems to "burn away" too fast. I will check Tire Rack. Thanks for the heads up

Old 10-24-2016, 11:08 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,593,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
"Tire and tyre both mean a covering for a wheel, usually made of rubber. Tire is the preferred spelling in the U.S. and Canada. Tyre is preferred in most varieties of English outside North America. Of course, all English speakers use tire in the sense to grow weary."
I was being facetious... It's like when people say i have to cash a cheque i'm like um ok hah

Anyway back on topic...

I'm not stuck on any brand of TIres lol just they have to be made here in the USA. No chinese rubber on my vehicles.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:11 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
Tire Buyer is another good source as they carry some brands that Tire Rack doesn't. In many cases, before shopping tires by brand, know what all the specifications mean. Once you know what all those rating means, it's easier to buy tires based on your need and not by some advertising campaign. You ill see tires marketed as high end sports tires but if the ratings essentially say they are average passenger car tires, you may not want them on your Mustang. Likewise, a heavy named brand may have a lousy noise rating that makes you feel like driving in a snare drum. Even across the same brand you can get garbage or high quality. Buy the tire specification, not their marketing.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:49 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Also, big tire manufactures have multiple brands they make. For example, Michelin makes BF Goodrich, Uniroyal, among others.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
When selecting tyres or tires, there must be a compromise between longevity and performance. Determining factors include speed rating, wet performance, dry performance, and load index.

If you want a Z-Speed rating, and often go over 150 mph you cannot expect them to last 50,000 miles. Same for a vehicle that's close to the maximum load index, or is used off road. For the best traction, the tread will be softer, and therefore will wear faster. For me each of the 3 cars has different brands. The Challenger has high performance Michelins, the Escape has the OEM Continentals, the Ranger has Firestone Destination TAs.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:26 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,954,081 times
Cooper Tires. Made in USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive