Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No. they are both motors by the definition of motor. The bottom one can also be called an engine in modern vernacular even though that maybe technically incorrect. Like many words, the use of Engine for motor has become so common, it becomes necessary to modify the language rather than correct the usage. This happens from time to time. engine is not widely accepted as an alternative to motor.

When cars first came into vogue, that was not the case. Thus all the manufacturers were founded as motor companies and still are. If they were "engine" companies, people would think they made locomotives, or later, fire trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 10:03 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I was taught that a motor has an outside of power such as electricity, water, hydraulics, air, etc. An engine generates its own source of power.

I am sticking with that explanation.
It comes from motorcar which is a more formal version of the word automobile. A motor powers a motor car so it is interchangeable with engine.

Think about this the next time you are down at the DMV.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:49 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No. they are both motors by the definition of motor. The bottom one can also be called an engine in modern vernacular even though that maybe technically incorrect. Like many words, the use of Engine for motor has become so common, it becomes necessary to modify the language rather than correct the usage. This happens from time to time. engine is not widely accepted as an alternative to motor.

When cars first came into vogue, that was not the case. Thus all the manufacturers were founded as motor companies and still are. If they were "engine" companies, people would think they made locomotives, or later, fire trucks.
The typical automobile has an internal combustion engine.

When I hear someone use the phrase "motor," I automatically think of a 10-year-old who has not yet learned the proper language to use.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:06 PM

776 posts, read 580,830 times
Quote:
The typical automobile has an internal combustion engine. When I hear someone use the phrase "motor," I automatically think of a 10-year-old who has not yet learned the proper language to use.
Motor - a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.
Engine - a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion.

tomato - tomahto

Old 11-11-2016, 03:13 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:

When I hear someone use the phrase "motor," I automatically think of a 10-year-old who has not yet learned the proper language to use.
Yet english dictionaries say the "10 year old" is right.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:

So when you hear general Motors and Ford Motor company you think they are ten year olds?

Then of course there is Delorean Motor Company, American Motor Company, Motorcycle,

Lots of ten year olds running around. Apparently you are the only adult in the the world. Lonely?

Old 11-11-2016, 06:48 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Do we really need yet another pissing contest?

Both sides are right. Yes, by strict dictionary definition, "motor" is not incorrect. But Fleet is also right in saying that it sounds dumb in real-world use in educated circles. It does.

The Ford Motor Company argument is extraneous and irrelevant. That is a name conceived in a different age and Delorean Motor Company is merely a derivation of that age-old name.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:16 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Guys, let's quit bickering like a bunch of retired English teachers about "engine" and "motor" and get back to talking about our favorites amongst the prime movers of our vehicles!

For me, favorite is not just about hot rod engines, it's also about "old reliable" engines that just run for many miles with little trouble or attention, like the 1963 to about 1989 GM inline 6. Although these can be warmed up a bit using parts from outfits like Clifford performance. And they can be warmed up quite a bit without spending an insane amount of money. The result is definitely "something different".

Old 11-11-2016, 07:21 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Y'know, in all my years of working on reciprocating ENGINE aircraft (VO-540, R-985, R-3350, R-4360, etc.) and "suck and blow machines" (J-34, J-79, JT-9D, PT-6 etc.) I don't remember ever hearing them called "motors"!

To further complicate matters, many hot dodders referred to their engines as 'mills'.

How To Build An Engine - Steps For Building Engines - Hot Rod Network

http://www.hotrodsandclassics.net/hotrodslang.htm

Old 11-11-2016, 07:44 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
So all these years I have been riding an enginecycle , NOT a motorcycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive