Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 04:32 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,951,630 times

Advertisements

I have a 23mpg minivan and a 47mpg Prius. Stop taxing me so much.

We've got to get the Feds out of this tax-and-regulate mindset where they're trying to control every little thing. It's choking our economy.

Just imagine the wages and crazy spending power we'd have if things were like the early 60s, before Johnson and his "great society" garbage took over.

Cars are probably twice as expensive as they'd be if we didn't regulate them down to the last bolt. Capitalism works, when given a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 04:36 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,739,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
So buy the highest MPG car you can afford. Trump isn't going to stop you.
Excellent and refreshing....a person who dares promote freedom of choice.

Trump will expand the closed minds of the young in ways they have never imagined. By the end of his first term, public advocacy of freedom won't take the courage it does today. America has a new lease on life.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:38 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,786,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Market proponent so I agree with Trump on it. If you want to increase average fuel economy, raise gas taxes. Say 5 cents a year, every year, for the next ten years. Fuel efficiency wouldn't even be priority. Funding the deplorable state of roads with all that money would be.
NYC did it as 5 cents per gallon a few decades ago and it made no difference. The deplorable city streets still exist.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:52 AM

19,084 posts, read 27,661,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Donald Trump

Trump has announced plans to role back stricter regulations set in 2011 by the Obama administration which would have required auto makers to achieve an average of 54.5 mpg by 2025. Several automakers have had major problems with more fuel efficient CVT transmissions and some now produce cars with no spare tire to reduce weight. I support some increase in fuel efficiency but I do think Obama overreached and the result for someone with a new Ford Focus that is unfixable CVT it is effectively a tax on the poor. You can't haul a trailer loaded with cattle behind a Prius.

Do you think changes to cars will be significant as a result of this election?

No, he simply needs to run honest investigation into the entire global warming idea. As THAT is what brought all the murderous on autos regulations and restrictions. Do not treat symptoms, treat the cause of the disease.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,526,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
So buy the highest MPG car you can afford. Trump isn't going to stop you.
Surely, you recognize that when the regulations end, the car manufacturers will stop pushing the development of more efficient engines in order to reduce costs. The market (consumers) can be manipulated into taking their eyes off of efficiency and MPGs. Don't play politics with your common sense.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:23 AM

50,931 posts, read 36,618,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I have a 23mpg minivan and a 47mpg Prius. Stop taxing me so much.

We've got to get the Feds out of this tax-and-regulate mindset where they're trying to control every little thing. It's choking our economy.

Just imagine the wages and crazy spending power we'd have if things were like the early 60s, before Johnson and his "great society" garbage took over.

Cars are probably twice as expensive as they'd be if we didn't regulate them down to the last bolt. Capitalism works, when given a chance.
It's not just Feds and certainly not just Dems. Christie is getting ready to raise our gas tax by 23 cents a gallon, after doubling NJ tolls (it now costs $4.00 to go one way on the 40-mile long AC Expressway)
and both after running in the promise of lower taxes, of course. Nothing personal, I just don't get why people think it's just certain parties who love raising taxes.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:47 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,656,797 times
All the rich liberals love global warming, but have no problem flying around in their private jets and living in their big homes. They like telling everyone else how to live.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:50 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,872,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So, fuel costs and the environment means nothing?

Personally, I want the highest MPGs I can get.

I see both sides of this discussion. I am a hot rodder and love my gas guzzling, fume spewing cars. However, I also see the need to protect our environment , for the benefit of future generations.

It is no secret that Trump does not care about the environment (dismissing global warming as a hoax) so it should be no secret that he is anti-fuel mileage requirements.

Maybe there needs to be a choice somewhere in the middle between reasonable gas mileage requirements and air quality.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:16 AM

30,478 posts, read 21,343,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So, fuel costs and the environment means nothing?

Personally, I want the highest MPGs I can get.
I would rather have horse power and a fast car.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:39 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,657,194 times
Notice how so many "government" ideas are so potentially beneficial and self-evidently sensible that they need to be mandated with penalties for non-compliance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive