Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 09:53 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Given that both my head unit and my smartphone are voice-controlled, I'd suggest you start buying it.

By the way, cars sitting in the sun will heat up enough to deform CDs. They're just plastic. They melt. And it doesn't take much deformation to screw up a CD. And a deformed CD will pretty much take out your head unit.
Never have had this experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Never have had this experience?
I have. One of the reasons I started using more durable USB sticks instead.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I have. One of the reasons I started using more durable USB sticks instead.
Durability is debatable on USB drives. They're not immune to the heat or extreme cold either. They're also not immune to getting corrupted. Their durability also depends on what brand you get as well.

CDs can last quite a long time if you take care of them. Any CDs I have possessed that became unplayable usually succumbed to scratches. And they usually got scratched by folks who borrowed my CDs and scooted them around on the coffee table. Otherwise, I still have CDs over 20 years old that play perfect. And the other great thing is that if I DO have to replace any of them, I can grab a used copy off of half.com for a buck.

But yeah, I've never had an issue where a CD has ruined the stereo head unit.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:01 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,246 times
Quote:
Durability is debatable on USB drives. They're not immune to the heat or extreme cold either. They're also not immune to getting corrupted. Their durability also depends on what brand you get as well.

CDs can last quite a long time if you take care of them. Any CDs I have possessed that became unplayable usually succumbed to scratches. And they usually got scratched by folks who borrowed my CDs and scooted them around on the coffee table. Otherwise, I still have CDs over 20 years old that play perfect. And the other great thing is that if I DO have to replace any of them, I can grab a used copy off of half.com for a buck.

But yeah, I've never had an issue where a CD has ruined the stereo head unit.
Personally, I'd prefer a USB stick, holding a COPY of my music. I pretty much just buy the tiny ones that are all connector except for the block of substrate with the contacts and the flash chip embedded inside, and a little teeny tiny bit of metal or rubber to grab onto. Yeah, they get corrupted sometimes, but they don't deform enough to jam the USB port. And when they stop working I just get another one, dump my playlist to it again, and off I go.

It's been my experience that people who keep CDs in their car generally do NOT take care of them. They leave them on a seat, slide them in and out of envelopes, stick them in cupholders or cracks in the dash trim, and do other mean things to them because they're trying to do it while they drive.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Personally, I'd prefer a USB stick, holding a COPY of my music. I pretty much just buy the tiny ones that are all connector except for the block of substrate with the contacts and the flash chip embedded inside, and a little teeny tiny bit of metal or rubber to grab onto. Yeah, they get corrupted sometimes, but they don't deform enough to jam the USB port. And when they stop working I just get another one, dump my playlist to it again, and off I go.

It's been my experience that people who keep CDs in their car generally do NOT take care of them. They leave them on a seat, slide them in and out of envelopes, stick them in cupholders or cracks in the dash trim, and do other mean things to them because they're trying to do it while they drive.
Yeah, never happened to me. I always took care of my CDs. My very special CDs never made it to the car. I'd just take CD-R copies of those. Then again, I never really left them in the car or CD player for extended periods of time, especially during the summertime with extreme heat. I guess I just really value my collection, and I love the fact that there are so many people now who find their old CDs useless that are willing to practically give them away.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:30 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,416,367 times
Quote:
Yeah, never happened to me. I always took care of my CDs. My very special CDs never made it to the car. I'd just take CD-R copies of those. Then again, I never really left them in the car or CD player for extended periods of time, especially during the summertime with extreme heat. I guess I just really value my collection, and I love the fact that there are so many people now who find their old CDs useless that are willing to practically give them away.

Same here. Never had a CD deform or warp, or get jammed it player. Since CD player have been out I have had one in all my vehicle. And now having steering wheel controls picking out what I feel like listening to. I several hundred I have purchased since they started coming out.
I always keep 8 or 10 depending on what I want to listen to. Swapping them out. With CD's I dont have to fool around with displays and looking for what I want to listen to. Just use and return to case. Thats the important thing to do. Never leave in direct sunlight, or more important, direct sight so some ahole wont break out the window and swipe them. I now have several audio books to listen to on my long commute to work. Yep, getting old, want it read to me. LOL.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:43 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,531,605 times
Ive had CDs in my car since around the year 2000. Never a warped CD and that includes many summers where my car sat outside at work all day in temps approaching 100. Occasionally a CD will no longer play but that is very rare.

I like to have both CD and USB available, often I will want one type of music in the AM and different tunage for PM driving. So I can just change sources and maintain the playlist for the next day.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:11 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Look at new computers no longer have a CD player either.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:16 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Look at new computers no longer have a CD player either.
Both my new truck and my new computer have CD players.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:52 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Both my new truck and my new computer have CD players.

I bought a brand new 27 in 5K iMac no DVD player anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive