Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 10:52 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,051,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, you might be. iTunes kind of sucks, bro. lol But you aren't the last person to keep music locally on your phone to listen to. I don't use iTunes, I have Rocket Player for Android.
I do use Pandora and Spotify some times to find new music, but I have a massive music collection on my 64GB SD Card in my phone. And I use it often.
What do you suggest I do differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 11:35 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Nothing. If it works for you, who cares that not many people do it?

I don't like iTunes and I know a lot of "Apple people" that don't either...but there certainly are lots that do.
You've probably got it working smoothly and synching with your phone. No need to change unless you switch to Android some day.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:21 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I want an 8-track cassette player.
My mom's '77 Cutlass Supreme had an 8-track. She had multiple 8-tracks by- Anne Murray, Olivia Newton-John and Linda Ronstadt (I'm still recovering). We had it until she got a new '86 Cutlass Supreme with a cassette player. Fun times...

I wonder how long the CD player will linger and what will be the last car to offer one? It's hard to believe that the last car with a cassette player was the 2010 Lexus SC430 (2-seater convertible, popular with the affluent AARP crowd). My cousin's 2009 Lexus GX470 has a cassette player also. It looks like some ancient relic tucked under the center control stack.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:33 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,592,059 times
I wish everything would be on USB flash drives it's so easy and convenient. I rather plug in a flash drive right into my car stereo simple vs playing around on a phone to bluetooth music. They need to get rid of dvd players too and have usb players. And then someone needs to make a redbox where you can bring your flash drive and plug it in to load a movie on it to watch at home. I don't know how that is possible but anything can be done.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:26 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,051,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Nothing. If it works for you, who cares that not many people do it?

I don't like iTunes and I know a lot of "Apple people" that don't either...but there certainly are lots that do.
You've probably got it working smoothly and synching with your phone. No need to change unless you switch to Android some day.
Although I am often told that the era of buying and owning music is over, and that people just stream music that they don't own. But I don't know of any way to do that which can be done safely while driving. Any advice?

Old 12-11-2016, 04:35 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
I buy CDs and then rip then to MP3s on my laptop. It's cheaper than buying the MP3s on Amazon and it gives me a backup copy.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:48 PM
JFR

1 posts, read 961 times
I don't care if cds are a dead technology or if thumb drives are the way to go, or whatever. I use a thumb drive and a nano for music on the cd playerless car I just got. But I have a lot of cds and all I want to know is whether there is a portable player with a USB connector to play them in the car. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:06 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR View Post
I don't care if cds are a dead technology or if thumb drives are the way to go, or whatever. I use a thumb drive and a nano for music on the cd playerless car I just got. But I have a lot of cds and all I want to know is whether there is a portable player with a USB connector to play them in the car. Thanks.
No but most cars also have an auxiliary audio input, either in the form of a 3.5mm input jack (same size as the headphone jack on your smartphone or portable CD player) or as split RCA inputs that look like this:

If your car's AUX input is a 3.5mm input, then all you need is a cord with a 3.5mm male connector on both ends. If it has RCA inputs, you get a cord that has a 3.5mm male on one end and RCA male outputs on the other end, like this:

Whichever your car has, plug the appropriate connector into your car. Then you plug the 3.5mm connector on the other end into your CD player's LINE OUT jack if it has one, or headphone jack if it doesn't with the headphone volume set about mid-way.

I assume most portable CD players have it, but it's important to make sure you get one with skip protection or you won't have a very pleasant listening experience in a moving car.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:09 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR View Post
You should start working on copying your CDs and if you use iTunes you can store the songs there

Old 05-13-2017, 11:31 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,006,984 times
In addition to what Bitey said, there are also low cost 3.5 mm to Bluetooth adapters. They plug into the 3.5 mm jack of the portable CD player and uses Bluetooth to to play through your vehicle if equip with Bluetooth. Similarly, there are still many of the older radio transmitters that plug into the 3.5mm jack but broadcast stereo FM signal to the radio. However, if you have a 3.5 mm input to your vehicle's system, a simple cord is the cheapest and cleanest way to connect using a portable CD player. Now, as for the CD players, they are slowly disappearing from retail shelf space. Good news is you can pick one up for cheap at yard sales, discount retailers or closeout/liquidators. Not long ago I saw one of those Sony Discman car kits with CD player, power cords, cables and that cup holder player stand/adapter for under $20 at Goodwill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive