Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Popular to who? Where are you getting your info?
Yeah I don't know anyone who listens to AM radio, expect for a couple of hardcore religious people who want to listen to preaching and gospel music all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 05:46 AM

154 posts, read 176,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah I don't know anyone who listens to AM radio, expect for a couple of hardcore religious people who want to listen to preaching and gospel music all day.
I listen to AM all day. News station and sometimes sports (not conservative talk news). After a while you get bored listening to the same songs over and over on FM.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Are you serious?!
How else do you do it? You can't put the CD in your computer as the files are locked.

-----

EDIT: Ok, nevermind. Here is what you do:

1. Toss or sell your CD's
2. Go to YouTube and download the video of the song via YTD Downloader, a free program (google the site).
3. Use Anytime Video Converter (another free program) to convert the video file to .mp3. Be careful, because that program will install unwanted stuff on your computer unless you choose "Custom Install". It is otherwise a good program.
4. Use iTunes to put the files in your library via "File" > "Add File to Library" (no password needed)
5. Sync with your iPod.

This way you never have to buy a song again. It's all free on YouTube. This is what I do. I have not paid for music since 2008 or so. As long as you can find the video of the song on YouTube or Vimeo, etc., which I have about 99.5% of the time. If you want a specific version of a song by a rare cover band, that may be harder to find.

Last edited by mileena202; 05-15-2017 at 06:05 AM..

Old 05-15-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Why go through all of that hassle when you can simply stick the CD into the slot? Not everyone wants to deal with iTunes, I used it about 5 years ago and then forgot the password... Ive never bothered with it again.
No password required to play your music or add to it on your computer. Only if you want to buy stuff.

You can lose CD's or have them destroyed in a fire. One time I left my cassette tapes in the car and after work, I returned to find the sun had melted them. Another time I was burglarized and had them stolen. Not so with digital media, at least if you have multiple backups, like I do, one stored on a hard drive in my safe deposit box.

It is also a pain changing from CD to CD while in the car. Much easier to have thousands of songs stored on your iPod.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:19 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,251,693 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post
how else do you do it? You can't put the cd in your computer as the files are locked.

-----

edit: Ok, nevermind. Here is what you do:

1. Toss or sell your cd's
2. Go to youtube and download the video of the song via ytd downloader, a free program (google the site).
3. Use anytime video converter (another free program) to convert the video file to .mp3. Be careful, because that program will install unwanted stuff on your computer unless you choose "custom install". It is otherwise a good program.
4. Use itunes to put the files in your library via "file" > "add file to library" (no password needed)
5. Sync with your ipod.

This way you never have to buy a song again. It's all free on youtube. This is what i do. I have not paid for music since 2008 or so. As long as you can find the video of the song on youtube or vimeo, etc., which i have about 99.5% of the time. If you want a specific version of a song by a rare cover band, that may be harder to find.
huh?
I copied all the songs from over 300 CDs I have purchased over the years to .WAV files for storage (non-lossy) and then copied those WAV files over to MP3 for paying via SD Card or USB flash for my truck (also placed many MP3 files on my Android phone and tablet for when camping.
Totally legal since they are not sold and for my own personal use. But files are not locked.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post
How else do you do it? You can't put the CD in your computer as the files are locked.

-----

EDIT: Ok, nevermind. Here is what you do:

1. Toss or sell your CD's
2. Go to YouTube and download the video of the song via YTD Downloader, a free program (google the site).
3. Use Anytime Video Converter (another free program) to convert the video file to .mp3. Be careful, because that program will install unwanted stuff on your computer unless you choose "Custom Install". It is otherwise a good program.
4. Use iTunes to put the files in your library via "File" > "Add File to Library" (no password needed)
5. Sync with your iPod.

This way you never have to buy a song again. It's all free on YouTube. This is what I do. I have not paid for music since 2008 or so. As long as you can find the video of the song on YouTube or Vimeo, etc., which I have about 99.5% of the time. If you want a specific version of a song by a rare cover band, that may be harder to find.
But again, that sounds like a lot of work, and half the videos I find on YouTube have TERRIBLE sound quality. I don't want to have to convert anything, I just want to stick the stupid cd into the slot and play it.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
huh?
I copied all the songs from over 300 CDs I have purchased over the years to .WAV files for storage (non-lossy) and then copied those WAV files over to MP3 for paying via SD Card or USB flash for my truck (also placed many MP3 files on my Android phone and tablet for when camping.
Totally legal since they are not sold and for my own personal use. But files are not locked.

OK, my bad! I guess I am partially computer illiterate, lol. I will have to remember this for the future.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:52 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You know you can hire someone for this. Find a high school kid, give then your box of CDs, $20, and a pizza. They'll covert all of them to mp3 in a couple of days.
Point. Missed.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:15 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
And people who listen to talk/information radio, and people who listen to local sports broadcasts, and people who still want local sources for local news. People listening to radio in their cars is probably what's keeping the industry alive.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:21 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
AM/FM will stick around because while FM is a dying format, AM is still pretty popular, the hardware is cheap, and it doesn't take up any additional real estate on the dash unit
Yup, still going strong in spite of many vendors' attempts to kill it, like with iPODs that came with FM only tuners and no AM. Good luck finding a computer device that tunes in AM, they are trying so hard to kill AM but it just won't die - people want their talk radio. I listen to AM radio a minimum of 3 hours per day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive