Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 12:42 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times

Advertisements

People still play CDs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 01:08 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Our van is old ( 04) and it has a DVD player in it and CD player. Now that the kids are older, its not a feature i have to have, so if the next newer car doesnt have one, id be ok with it.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:36 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Some of us aren't children that grew up with MP3 players. We enjoyed our vinyl and now CDs; we like looking at the art on the cover, and reading the lyrics.

And they are not a dying technology. The audio CD perhaps, but not the disc itself.
Some of us are your age or older and we have moved on. You like looking at the cover art? OK, you can see that on your phone. You like reading the lyrics? Yea, I did too. When I was 16. I don't have that kind of time today. hehe j/k
But there are apps for your phone that will even stream lyrics live to your phone in real time to the music.
It's a brave new world, brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yes but I challenge you to find a family that doesn't have a stack of DVDs & Bluerays the kids will want to watch, and they're not going to go out and pay again for a digital copy
Challenge accepted. Here I am.
We have a stack of old Disney VCR tapes. No player.
We have maybe 10 DVD's that we bought in the "cheap used" bin. Maybe watched them a time or 2. My son wouldn't know they were gone if I threw them away.
We have some modern DVD's and Blurays... y'know... the kind that come with digital copies? We watch the digi-copies.
Mainly my kid watches: Amazon, Netflix, PBS Kids and Disney XD. Streaming, of course, not live.

Quote:
Some dude talked about how "The Cloud is the Future".
(This thread is getting too long I can't find who said what that I wanted to quote. ha)
To you I say: F the Cloud. I am not ever paying someone to store my music on their servers. I have plenty of ways that are not going away any time soon to store my music and pics and videos and docs safely.

Quote:
Another guy: I'm the last iTunes users
Yea, you might be. iTunes kind of sucks, bro. lol But you aren't the last person to keep music locally on your phone to listen to. I don't use iTunes, I have Rocket Player for Android.
I do use Pandora and Spotify some times to find new music, but I have a massive music collection on my 64GB SD Card in my phone. And I use it often.

Last edited by Peregrine; 12-08-2016 at 12:07 PM..

Old 12-08-2016, 12:07 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
My mom just bought a new Civic. CD player is no longer available on them. I think everyone is going to follow suit soon.

I would just bite the bullet and copy the CDs to files you can play in any new car.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:25 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Those are 45's....singles....And how many cars had them? Far fewer than cd players.
I doubt if many car owners installed them at all. But turntables for autos did exist. Look, I was nice enough to do some research for you:

Car Record Players of the 1950s and 1960s | Early Infotainment Systems- Consumer Reports News

Quote:
Good grief 1980 called along with John Cusack....you still have your 1980 battery powered boom box? Boom box... Talk about a dated item and sounding like someone who is dated.
Your sense of humor seems to be stunted.

And yes, I am dated. Dated a new guy just last weekend. Thanks for asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My friend had one of the first CD players you could get for a car, it was a Blaupunkt. It probably skipped as much as that that record player. It was so bad he pulls up the one day, gets out his car, puts it on a stump and smashed it with an axe.
LOL, I felt that way about every single cassette deck in every car I owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm surprised they would consider eliminating the radio at all.
Agreed. Even AM radio is still relevant in most markets. But as long as radios and CD players remain an option, the cool kids can have their cool toys. If not having a radio makes them feel hip, have at it.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:23 PM

132 posts, read 153,962 times
My 2016 Mazda3 has a CD player, but it is optional and only included on certain models. I have never used it for anything. My 2011 Jeep Liberty had a CD/DVD player but I only ever used it for the annual nav updates and eventually Chrysler started doing those through a USB stick instead.

I've seen a few articles about how vinyl is now outselling CDs. Although that doesn't surprise me with the resurgence of records again. I enjoy putting a record on when I'm at home, something about the process. Just like reading a real book. A CD isn't quite retro enough.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:50 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nws2002 View Post
My 2016 Mazda3 has a CD player, but it is optional and only included on certain models. I have never used it for anything. My 2011 Jeep Liberty had a CD/DVD player but I only ever used it for the annual nav updates and eventually Chrysler started doing those through a USB stick instead.

I've seen a few articles about how vinyl is now outselling CDs. Although that doesn't surprise me with the resurgence of records again. I enjoy putting a record on when I'm at home, something about the process. Just like reading a real book. A CD isn't quite retro enough.
CDs may be on their way out and vinyl may be making something of a vanity comeback but anyone who tells you vinyl is outselling CDs is lying to you. CDs still outsell vinyl by a massive margin.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:19 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata, a 2015 Jeep Wrangler and a 2016 Chevy Silverado. All three have a CD player.
Drove a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe a week ago; and no, it didn't have a CD player.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Drove a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe a week ago; and no, it didn't have a CD player.

If I were to buy a general purpose vehicle today, the 2017 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate with Tech package would be my number one choice. Even without a CD player, which I haven't used in years.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 PM

127 posts, read 147,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Does your BMW have AM mono? I find it hard to believe that a manufacturer has eliminated AM altogether. At least in cars designed for the American market.
Tuner is just FM (with HD radio) and Sirius XM. Apparently it is outfitted with it but BMW has disabled it: BMW i3 Electric Car Quirk: No AM Radio--But Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive