Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 01:41 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,011,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
My '14 and '16 Grand Cherokees didn't come with CD players. I didn't want it and don't miss it. 32gb USB stick and bluetooth streaming Google Music from my phone.
I don't know anyone other than collectors and hobbyists that want to mess with anything involving a disc or tape anymore.

I also question how long traditional AM/FM radio receivers will remain in cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 01:46 PM

1,112 posts, read 884,760 times
My new Honda accord does. And it surprised me too!

Mae

Old 05-14-2017, 02:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I don't know anyone other than collectors and hobbyists that want to mess with anything involving a disc or tape anymore.

Longer than CD players will be I have a feeling. The radio seems to have a lasting appeal that even broadcast television seems to have lost. It's cheap and easy and everybody likes it. I can tell you I've almost never enjoyed listening to pre-recorded music of any kind in my car more than I have simply channel surfing for a station that's playing something I like. It's just easier and I'm busy driving anyway. A little background noise is nice but I don't want to have to think too hard about it.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:34 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post

Audiophiles, particularly classical music aficionados, still prefer the superior sound quality of CD versus today's popular but lossy formats.

AM/FM will stick around because while FM is a dying format, AM is still pretty popular, the hardware is cheap, and it doesn't take up any additional real estate on the dash unit. That was a major reason why CD players went away, they were taking up space that was increasingly wasted and could be put to better use.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:25 AM

154 posts, read 176,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Looking at new cars and I realized that many don't have CD players but instead they have USB and MP3 ports.

Question: Can I buy a portable CD player that plugs into one of these ports and then plays out over the cars speakers?
CD's went out of style in the late 90's. They are like 8-tack tapes.

Just convert all your CD's to .mp3 files using a voice recorder on a smart phone. Then upload to iTunes and sync with your iPod. Buy an .mp3 cord and you are set! Do not use your phone for music as that drains the battery.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post

Just convert all your CD's to .mp3 files using a voice recorder on a smart phone. Then upload to iTunes and sync with your iPod. Buy an .mp3 cord and you are set! Do not use your phone for music as that drains the battery.
Why go through all of that hassle when you can simply stick the CD into the slot? Not everyone wants to deal with iTunes, I used it about 5 years ago and then forgot the password... Ive never bothered with it again.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Why go through all of that hassle when you can simply stick the CD into the slot? Not everyone wants to deal with iTunes, I used it about 5 years ago and then forgot the password... Ive never bothered with it again.
You know you can hire someone for this. Find a high school kid, give then your box of CDs, $20, and a pizza. They'll covert all of them to mp3 in a couple of days.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:45 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You know you can hire someone for this. Find a high school kid, give then your box of CDs, $20, and a pizza. They'll covert all of them to mp3 in a couple of days.
MP3 is dead.
MP3 is officially dead as founders terminate licensing program - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Get with the times!

Old 05-15-2017, 05:04 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Audiophiles, particularly classical music aficionados, still prefer the superior sound quality of CD versus today's popular but lossy formats.

AM/FM will stick around because while FM is a dying format, AM is still pretty popular, the hardware is cheap, and it doesn't take up any additional real estate on the dash unit. That was a major reason why CD players went away, they were taking up space that was increasingly wasted and could be put to better use.
Popular to who? Where are you getting your info?

Old 05-15-2017, 05:07 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post

Are you serious?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive