Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times

Advertisements

They don't have cassette players or 8 track players either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:49 AM

17,301 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Didn't realize that USB ports are becoming obsolete. Yes, my car does have Bluetooth. But when using Bluetooth, I cannot give voice commands to choose a song, nor can I select a song through the car's touch screen. Bluetooth will only play whatever I manually select on my phone, which cannot be done safely while driving. Is my car unusual?

Also, it seems that I'm the only person still using iTunes. I hear that everybody else uses Spotify. But how do you use t hat while driving? As far as I can tell, that can only be controlled directly through the phone, which, again, cannot be done safely while driving. Unless I am missing something.
I wouldn't say unusal, just a bit out of date. Many head units now(and have for a few years) natively support Pandora/Spotify/etc over bluetooth and give you full control from the touch screen/steering wheel/voice controls. And many are moving to Apple Carplay/Android Auto now.

Last edited by notnamed; 12-07-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-07-2016, 11:11 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You can buy a portable CD player and use the Auxilliary input if you have one, but I have not seen one with a USB or MP3 output.i also see new cars with a cd, might have been a cd delete.
I have a 2014 Dodge Durango Citadel and there are several USB's in the vehicle. There's even a hidden CD player. I don't even own cd's anymore so I forget it's there.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:13 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I wouldn't say unusal, just a bit out of date. Many head units now(and have for a few years) natively support Pandora/Spotify/etc over bluetooth and give you full control from the touch screen/steering wheel/voice controls. And many are moving to Apple Carplay/Android Auto now.
My car does natively support Pandora, and I do use it (although it often crashes). However, I don't think Pandora lets you choose a specific song. I think Spotify does (but I don't know).

Old 12-07-2016, 11:16 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,713,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I think Chrysler is the main manufacturer that has eliminated the CD player. Most other brands still have them. Eventually, CD players will probably follow the cassette and 8-track into automotive history.
The problem is that people still use blue ray & dvd, so if you want video in the car you need that disc slot

Old 12-07-2016, 11:17 AM

There's a free spotify service that works like Pandora on mobile that won't let you pick specific songs(but will use your playlist). The paid version does though. But yeah head units that support it let you fully control it through the head unit.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The problem is that people still use blue ray & dvd, so if you want video in the car you need that disc slot
Can stream video from phone too. Many have hdmi and other video inputs that people use to hook up video games and such.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:23 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
just curious, how come you don't want to copy the discs to a file, and put that file on a usb thumb drive?
the reality is CDs are a dying technology.
Some of us aren't children that grew up with MP3 players. We enjoyed our vinyl and now CDs; we like looking at the art on the cover, and reading the lyrics.

And they are not a dying technology. The audio CD perhaps, but not the disc itself.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:28 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,102,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Great. I'm still putting having some of my old cassettes converted into CDs (and computer files on Itunes); and I have a small CD collection. And a much larger dvd collection. I hate this business of having to completely switch over every 20 years or less...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Digital audio in file format puts and end to that because it's no longer tied to the physical medium.
Until the next latest and greatest thing comes along to replace it.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:32 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Some of us aren't children that grew up with MP3 players. We enjoyed our vinyl and now CDs; we like looking at the art on the cover, and reading the lyrics.

And they are not a dying technology. The audio CD perhaps, but not the disc itself.
I still collect audio cd's as well as videos on Blu-Ray, but I disagree and do think the CD, and physical data storage of any sort is a dying technology. Last year I was issued a new laptop at work. You know what it doesn't have? A CD drive. Cloud storage is becoming the norm. Audio CD's are quickly becoming like vinyl, an item for collectors, but not for the mainstream. Data CD's are headed that way as well. Anyone who plays video games knows that the current generation Xbox and Playstation have games available as digital downloads as well as physical discs. I'd put money on the next generation of systems doing away with physical media altogether.

Business and home users are moving away from physical data storage and migrating to clouds. I'm sure there are still people out there who burn their photographs to CDs, but the number must be declining. You can still buy a floppy disc or blank cassette tape, but most people would call those dead technologies, and CD's really aren't far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive