Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I think many of you are overthinking the self driving car. I don't ever see these fully auto driven vehicles buzzing around doing everything without the input of a driver.
Uber has cabs in Pittsburgh doing this right now. They do have a "driver" but that driver doesn't do anything and once they get by this trial period that driver won't be there anymore.

Quote:
As an example, much of an airlines flight path is automated now days, but there is still a licensed pilot and co pilot at the controls.
But at this point do you really need them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And since the potential input of data is large (and changing constantly) it's probably going to require a database -- programmed exclusively for a local neighborhood or small town. .
That is impossible and not the way these machines will ever work. A typical computer may have a database entry "the color of Dorothy's shoes are ruby red", it can answer this question all day long but you can never expect to have enough data storage and processing power to tell it every piece of knowledge known to man line by line and that is before you get into "Which Dorothy?"

These computers are analyzing things and making their own decisions. There is no database entry for Watson to look up the answer to the question "What is the color of Dorothy's shoes?" but it may answer it correctly. It could answer it wrong.... what is important to note is when it is wrong it doesn't put into it's database that the color Dorothy's shoes are ruby red but instead adjusts it's programming to arrive at the correct answer.
Quote:

It might, one day, be able to get your grandparents to the doctor's office, or the market, but I can't yet envision something for door-to-door transportation, from anywhere to anywhere.
If your Grandparents live in Pittsburgh they can already do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NodzOaLJENo

Old 01-12-2017, 06:32 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,855,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
But at this point do you really need them?
Electronics go out. So hell yea, we need them. Lightening, a small fire, a burnt out fuse, an electronic glitch, and many other seemingly minor issues can shut down electronics right away.

I have personally had plenty of issues with the high tech electronics on modern sportfishing vessels which cost upwards of 5 plus million dollars. You think that some car made for the masses is going to have failproof electronics that will never crap out?

Old 01-12-2017, 07:02 PM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
I'm not interested in a self-driving car. I'm still fortunate enough to drive (and work) in places with no satellite service or internet. I hope there will always be places like this. And many of the places I go aren't even on gps systems. I hope they never are.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Electronics go out. So hell yea, we need them. Lightening, a small fire, a burnt out fuse, an electronic glitch, and many other seemingly minor issues can shut down electronics right away.
There is redundant systems in airplanes that would include any electronics. You think changing a fuse is going to hold this back?

Quote:
You think that some car made for the masses is going to have failproof electronics that will never crap out?
There is certainly going to be issues along the way and already has been such as that Tesla crash. The technology will evolve and become more robust every year. It's in it's infancy, when planes first arrived there was people saying the same thing you are. The only difference now is tech advances so rapidly...

Old 01-12-2017, 07:39 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Self driving cars...what's the hurry? We'll get there eventually but some people are really anxious to get it all going right away. It will be a while until most people are ready to trust a self driving car to the point where there would be no need for a human backup, never mind making human driving illegal and/or obsolete.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
And many of the places I go aren't even on gps systems. I hope they never are.
You may not have local maps but the entire world is covered by GPS and you can get the coordinates of your location. It's satellite based.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:41 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistet78 View Post
I wonder if all self-driving cars will understand nighttime driving...
That's a pretty ridiculous question, don't you think? Of course they will work at night, no one is going to make an autonomous vehicle that can only be driven in the daytime. Cameras that work in the dark have been around for decades, radar doesn't matter about the light. Of course they'll work at night, eventually.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:57 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,855,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You may not have local maps but the entire world is covered by GPS and you can get the coordinates of your location. It's satellite based.
And your cars GPS units can and will go out occasionally. By my experience with boats it usually craps out at the most inopportune time. And I'm talking systems with multi GPS and electronics packages costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Again, mass produced autos are not going to get those systems installed.

Lighting will fry it and put it out of commission real quick, as it will the other systems as well. Yes, planes have redundant systems as they must because there is absolutely no backup when in the air. But I'd imagine the cost of a typical airliner is a tad more then most of us can cover.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:31 PM

16 posts, read 18,697 times
I agree with them being at least better traffic jam reducers. Better life savers is moderately debatable honestly. Let alone the fact that the technology is still fairly new. And no I am against for criminalizing human driving. Honestly, why criminalize it when you can do restricting on human driving instead at least rather than just criminalizing right away, you know? Also, first post into the forums of City Data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive