Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 02:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Then you can justify disgust from a system designed for inept non-drivers.
I'm not the "average" driver
I would hardly consider myself an inept driver considering the accident free miles I've driven. Partly luck and partly skill.... You are discussing a "dumb" sytem though, these cars are not dumb because they will understand the conditions.

Can you precisely manipulate 4 brake pedals while using the accelerator? These cars will be able to do that making instant calculations and reactions in small fractions of a second based on conditions and physics. You will never be able to manipulate a car as well as one of these computers because your brain does not process information that fast and physical limitations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 PM

797 posts, read 752,285 times
That depends. Will a self driving vehicle be on it's cell phone,looking back at the kids and putting on make-up all at the same time? Then speed up when you try to pass them?

Old 01-13-2017, 03:07 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would hardly consider myself an inept driver considering the accident free miles I've driven. Partly luck and partly skill.... You are discussing a "dumb" sytem though, these cars are not dumb because they will understand the conditions.

Can you precisely manipulate 4 brake pedals while using the accelerator? These cars will be able to do that making instant calculations and reactions in small fractions of a second based on conditions and physics. You will never be able to manipulate a car as well as one of these computers because your brain does not process information that fast and physical limitations
Oh yeah, they are not dumb. They understand conditions really well. Like the Google self-driving car that crashed into the side of a 60 foot long articulated bus, to avoid running over a sandbag in the street. Or the Tesla self driving car that killed its driver, by trying to drive underneath a semi truck. They are not dumb at all.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:43 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Your experience with a PC is no comparison to this, dedicated systems are much more robust. There will be redundancy built into them and being able to bring the car to a safe stop under any condition is going to be a huge priority. I would suspect an independent sytem that is has it's own power source dedicated entirely just to stop the car.
No my experience with anything controlled by a computer... I can't even use the self checkouts without it saying things like "please place the item in the bag" the item is in the bag... Every computer controlled system can and will fail. Anything built by a human will fail.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Oh yeah, they are not dumb. They understand conditions really well. Like the Google self-driving car that crashed into the side of a 60 foot long articulated bus, to avoid running over a sandbag in the street. Or the Tesla self driving car that killed its driver, by trying to drive underneath a semi truck. They are not dumb at all.
If Tesla's numbers are to believed so far they are ahead of the game compared to humans. The fatality rate with human drivers is about 1 every 95 million miles, Tesla vehicles were up to 130 million. Two caveats here, it's small sample size and it's only highway driving. There will be bumps in the road as there is with any tech but it will only improve.

That crash was apparently caused by sensor issue, the LIDAR has difficulties with overhead signs. It detected the truck but the video did not and it assumed it was false positive.

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-13-2017 at 04:22 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 05:18 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Self-driving cars will be one, but the concept of not owning a personal vehicle will also take hold. The Uber concept is not going away, but a large chunk of that will be self-driving cars.

There will be a number of different possibilities. A lot of people will enjoy having a non-owned commuter car scheduled to appear at their door at a certain time and drive them to work. A lot of people won't mind having a car take over the majority of a cross-country trip.

The transition will take a good while.
It's not an original thought; I first heard it in a graduate course on urban transportation over 45 years ago, but I think most people recognize it without even examining the logic:

Public transportation is a service; the automobile is a servant.

There are more factors at play here then just the economics, and ego is a larger one than many people realize.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-13-2017 at 05:32 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 07:21 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Something else that I haven't seen brought up- although I've scanned the posts of the thread I haven't read them all- is how dramatically autonomous vehicles will affect one industry in particular; Trucking. After taxicab drivers, and eventually Uber drivers, the next big wave of obsolete jobs will be truck drivers, and as they number 3.5 million this is no small thing to those now employed in the industry. As it is already a heavily regulated industry I imagine it won't be too difficult to layer on autonomous driving truck rules to it.

I foresee autonomous freight truck transport to actually make a much earlier presence than the widespread adoption of private autonomous driving cars. The trucks will all talk with one another and hook up as virtual trains staying in the proper lanes, being able to discern signals and brakes to safely allow cars to merge within them as necessary and freight companies will benefit from having exacting time schedules and communicative trucks letting them know exactly what's going on and expected delivery ETAs. It will make driving in the highways much safer, and I say this knowing that your average truck driver is much more skilled than your average car driver, but autonomous trucks will drive super conservative while maintaining speed and be able to react better to the many wretched drivers out there in their cars.

It sounds scary to have computer driven 100,000lb vehicle barreling down the highway until you consider that massive jets are mostly autonomous, and with embedded sensors in and around roadways layered over the array of sensors in each truck I imagine it will actually work quite well.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:26 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Something else that I haven't seen brought up- although I've scanned the posts of the thread I haven't read them all- is how dramatically autonomous vehicles will affect one industry in particular; Trucking. After taxicab drivers, and eventually Uber drivers, the next big wave of obsolete jobs will be truck drivers, and as they number 3.5 million this is no small thing to those now employed in the industry. As it is already a heavily regulated industry I imagine it won't be too difficult to layer on autonomous driving truck rules to it.

I foresee autonomous freight truck transport to actually make a much earlier presence than the widespread adoption of private autonomous driving cars. The trucks will all talk with one another and hook up as virtual trains staying in the proper lanes, being able to discern signals and brakes to safely allow cars to merge within them as necessary and freight companies will benefit from having exacting time schedules and communicative trucks letting them know exactly what's going on and expected delivery ETAs. It will make driving in the highways much safer, and I say this knowing that your average truck driver is much more skilled than your average car driver, but autonomous trucks will drive super conservative while maintaining speed and be able to react better to the many wretched drivers out there in their cars.

It sounds scary to have computer driven 100,000lb vehicle barreling down the highway until you consider that massive jets are mostly autonomous, and with embedded sensors in and around roadways layered over the array of sensors in each truck I imagine it will actually work quite well.
Well, we know that's the first avenue being explored by Google and Amazon.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
This will go way beyond trucking industry jobs. They are all at risk with this and other tech and I mean all of them. Why bother going to the store for that part if you can just print it? Amazon can deliver the printer material to you that came out of the robotized factory. How many jobs did that just wipe out?

The trucking industry itself eventually will be relegated to moving bulk material and local deliveries. A local manufacturing plant using large scale 3D printers could make cars one day( any make and model), refrigerators the next day and whatever else the next day.

When the printer can print a new printer? This stuff is coming....

Old 01-13-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, we know that's the first avenue being explored by Google and Amazon.
Amazon has a patent for "flying warehouse"...

Amazon's 'Mothership': Retailer Gets Patent for Mega-Drone

Here is another idea, they could load a cargo plane up with packages for NYC in LA. Fly it across the country and bomb the drones out the back door when they get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive