Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:31 PM

5,745 posts, read 17,617,113 times

Advertisements

I've owned convertibles for the last 13 years as my daily driver. I rarely put the top down on the drive to work . . . I guess it's too early in the morning for the blast to the senses. . . .but I almost always put the top down on the way home. As long as the temperature is above 60F and it is not raining. Sometimes I'll drive through a quick rain shower with the top down as the drops never hit you if you are going fast enough. A good A/C system is a necessity in the summer. Today it was 85F and I had the A/C on max for most of the way home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:05 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,179,450 times
I've always loved my vert (owned for 29 years). The only thing I can say about it that is don't like is... Nothing.
  • It attracts attention from other car people.
  • It attracts a lot of attention from women.
  • When it is hot in the summer, I turn on the air conditioning and point all the vents at me
  • In the autumn. there is nothing like it on a cool day.
  • On a typical South Carolina winter day, putting the rear section up (and driving in Targa mode) on the coldest days is all the additional warmth I could ever need.
  • Unfortunately, the heavy spring pollen means cleaning it more.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 PM

7,462 posts, read 4,710,776 times
Love convertibles. Wind in my hair!

Old 06-29-2017, 05:05 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,099,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I don't "hate" convertibles. I just don't want nor need one. No roads near me to make driving one daily worth the cost of ownership and maintenance.
That cost is usually no higher than a coupe or sedan. Why do people insist on using spurious logic to fault convertibles?

Old 06-29-2017, 05:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,424,866 times
I loved them, had many...but in CO I got tired of the afternoon sudden showers
and the hail! In JUNE!
So no more for me.
Plus, being an attractive blonde...I'm more private now...people can't help but gawk...
started to bug me..like, "Put your eyes back in your head, already'.
Sounds cynical, but after awhile, years, it finally got to me.
Something for a wannabe to consider.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:05 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,876,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I loved them, had many...but in CO I got tired of the afternoon sudden showers
and the hail! In JUNE!
So no more for me.
Plus, being an attractive blonde...I'm more private now...people can't help but gawk...
started to bug me..like, "Put your eyes back in your head, already'
Sounds cynical, but after awhile, years, it finally got to me.
Something for a wannabe to consider.

Yeah, yeah, you REALLY hate that gawking, don't you ? Just like women who wear provocative clothing and then complain "Men keep staring at me !"

Old 06-29-2017, 07:10 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,746,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yeah, yeah, you REALLY hate that gawking, don't you ? Just like women who wear provocative clothing and then complain "Men keep staring at me !"
You don't think it would get old having people staring at you?? Although, could she not just put the top up & have tinted windows on the days she just want to be unnoticed?

Old 06-29-2017, 07:43 AM

9,380 posts, read 6,998,523 times
Perfect solution for those people who want the occasional vert experience but like sound iscolation and better climate controls?

Old 06-29-2017, 07:54 AM

7,832 posts, read 4,578,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Perfect solution for those people who want the occasional vert experience but like sound iscolation and better climate controls?

Yeah, as I mentioned upthread, if I were to sell my BMW335i convertible hardtop, that would be the car to replace it. The Beemer has a similar top and it's the best of both worlds. I get a huge kick when I take the top down and there's a little kid nearby... TRANSFORMERS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2017, 08:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post

There are even affordable cars like this. Pontiac G6 is the most recent one I can think of. Mitsubishi Spyder was an awesome car of the later 1980s early 1990s with the coolest hard top convertible ever. There were some 1960s cars too, One Thunderbird I think. You do not have to spend the price of a house to get one of these. One day I will get one, probably a Spyder the G6 is just too boring a car other than the hard top convertible and most of the others are too pricy. Besides the Sypder was a car I really wnated at te time but could never afford, plus it has all kinds of cool features including an amazing twin turbo engine and all wheel drive and all wheel steering.

It will have to be a second toy car though. I will probably always have a Jensen Healey or a Jensen Interceptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive