Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:43 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
"Hate" is a strong word, but I don't understand the appeal of convertibles. The notion of chopping off the roof, which often results in decreased structure rigidity, increased NVH, and exposure to the weather, is not something that makes sense to me. In my area, everyone I know who owns a convertible admits that they put the top down only a few times per year. It's either too hot, too cold, too humid, raining, or some other reason why cars have roofs in the first place. The interior gets dusty or, even worse, develops a thin layer of pollen throughout during certain times of the year. No thanks. The appeal of any sort of hole in the roof - sunroofs, moonroof, targas, etc., is a mystery to me.

You're not much of an outdoors person are you? And you've obviously never driven a traditional sports car on a twisty valley road with the top down, listening to the engine sound come back to you, the smells of the countryside in your nose, and the wind in your hair. The feeling of being part of it all, that you, the machine, and nature are all connected rather than isolated.

There's a reason all traditional sports cars were open cars, from the Stutz Bearcat in the teens and '20s to the MGTC and others of it's ilk.

If I can't drive a convertible, I have to have at least a sunroof to open up with the windows when it's nice out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 09:17 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
I live in South Florida and it seems everyone has the dream of heading down here and driving a convertible to the keys.

Bad, bad idea. You'll get the sunburn of your life.

Usually only January or February are the only good times for a rag top otherwise, it is just too hot and sunny.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Using this line of thinking, when it's nice out one also can't go to the beach, the park, a baseball game, or an outdoor concert when it's nice out, either.
Mine gets driven to work, 25 minutes at a time.
I've already got a tan by the time the weather gets hot.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
San Diego is perfect convertible weather. I had various from Cabriolet VW to MGB to an M3 beemer. I actually rarely put the top up on the M3 as I had a customer car cover for it. It just looked mean with the top down and funky with it up. The new ones with the hard top convertible look so much cleaner.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:31 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I live in South Florida and it seems everyone has the dream of heading down here and driving a convertible to the keys.

Bad, bad idea. You'll get the sunburn of your life.

Usually only January or February are the only good times for a rag top otherwise, it is just too hot and sunny.
Is it high noon 24/7 in South Florida? They don't have sunrises, sunsets, and nighttime there?
You do know the roof goes up and down right? It's like the engineers knew that it wasn't always optimal weather or something.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
I think it depends on personality. Would you prefer to go on a hike, or a treadmill indoors with AC? A bike ride or "spinning" A rowing shell on the water or an Erg? Personally i am glad lots of people hate convertibles, I love them and the hate keeps the prices down.

There really is nothing like a hilly twisty foresty or lakeside road in a British Roadster. Miata kind of has it too, but they do not break down enough to match the feeling of triumph in completing a journey to a small town dairy queen in a true British Roadster. More seriously through it just is not the same feeling. They do not have to be fast or super nimble to be fun. One of my favorites was a doggy Triumph TR3. You could drag your fingernails along the road as you drove. Not sure why, but driving that thing was pure glee.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post

If I can't drive a convertible, I have to have at least a sunroof to open up with the windows when it's nice out.
Me too. A sunroof is a mandatory feature for me. Even my convertible has a sunroof (in the hardtop).

the few times I was compelled to accept a vehicle with no sunroof, I simply suffered through to the day I could buy a different vehicle.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:02 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't get the lure of it other than having a Miata or S2000 for the open kart feel.

In most cases having the top down is annoying.

No noise isolation, you hear all the bad music around you that other people are playing.

- Lack of privacy

- Sunburn, better put a tight hat on

- Wind and noise

I understand, it's nice to cruise around town having the vanity but it's not enjoyeable at all on the highway without some goggles and a cap or just short hair. I find baseball caps sometimes on the road and that's probably from a convertible driver.

Any woman on a date with you would prefer having the top down or end up looking like the wicked witch.
not a fan of convertibles for a variety of reasons, the ones you listed along with they are much more vulnerable to being broken into by those of a less that legal bent, causing $2000 damage everytime they do.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:10 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
not a fan of convertibles for a variety of reasons, the ones you listed along with they are much more vulnerable to being broken into by those of a less that legal bent, causing $2000 damage everytime they do.

I've had a lot of convertibles, as I said, on both coasts, and never had one broken into on either coast in any decade. That being said, that's what insurance is for.

Or do you just drive beaters and get the minimum liability insurance on them?

Old 06-28-2017, 12:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Yes I had a Miata and I wouldn't buy another convertible. I don't want to hear outside noise at all, I would rather have an insulated cabin. Plus there is virtually no rollover protection, that's why convertibles aren't tested. The pop up hoops are a joke that won't do much in a real rollover
So, don't roll over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive