Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:58 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times

Advertisements

I have a guy friend who thought that his Acura TL had a V8 ! I didn't bother to correct him. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 07:47 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
My wife's like this. She just knows a car by it's color.

It's ok, because that's what I'm here for.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:56 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
To me, this is a matter of knowing the value of your purchase. Some people will never get it. Even more than not having a clue about the car, it's a matter of not understanding the deal and how good or bad it is. At least the people referring to a "V4" have some inkling that the cylinder count matters.

A larger engine usually means more motive power, which means the components are less stressed. The car will feel more responsive and should accelerate much more quickly. However this does get blurred as the state of tune can vary even with the same size motor, especially with different size turbos.

Take the engine options in the BMW 3-series:

BMW 320i: B48, 2.0L turbo straight-4, 180 hp
BMW 330i: B48, 2.0L turbo straight-4, 248 hp
BMW 330e: B48, 2.0L straight-4 hybrid electric, 248 hp
BMW 340i: B58, 3.0L turbo straight-6, 322 hp

I'm not exhaustive, but I want to know what I'm getting. I want to know whether it has a CVT, a dual-clutch automatic, a planetary automatic, or a single-clutch automated manual. I want to know if there is a turbo and if so, whether it is intercooled. I want to know whether it has multiport injection, electronic fuel injection, direct injection or some combination. Some people go much deeper into wanting to understand the technology and engineering choices.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
When my wife bought a used car long ago, the dealer tried to convince her (and later me) that it was a 6 cylinder engine. He kept insisting. I opened the hood and pointed out the four spark plug wires and he said on this model the the other two wires run inside the engine where you cannot see them.

I do not know why he did that. We knew it was a four, and we bought the car anyway, I guess he just could not handle being wrong.

My daughter recently bought a spark. 87 horsepower. She never even drove it ont he freeway. It was "cute" end of story.

My other daughter bought a Fiesta. It was cute too. She drove it around the block and liked how easy it was to park. Since she never drove on the freeway, she did not get the full experience of the DCT transmission that is now the subject of a class action lawsuit that Ford just settled. It was recently wrecked so now she is looking for a new recent model car. I am pointing her towards a Mazda 3 or a Ford Fusion. Not "cute" but at least they have some redeeming qualities.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post

A larger engine usually means more motive power, which means the components are less stressed. The car will feel more responsive and should accelerate much more quickly.
A smaller engine also often means higher compression - usually through turbocharging. That translates to two things other than higher HP (but not as much torque at the lower end as most NA v-8s): higher octane gas (more expensive); and a higher likelihood of blown head gaskets later in life. Also sometimes the turbos are integrated and cooled by engine coolant. This can lead to huge problems or major costs later in life. I generally prefer to stick with an NA V-8, but I keep cars forever. I might start thinking about a replacement at 200,000 or 250,000 miles. If the turbo is bolt on and the head was designed for high compression (not just stronger bolts and a better gasket), turbo is ok, but I still generally prefer a NA engine. it is not jsut about longevity, but also how easy it is to work on. In later years, it is not worth paying a mechanic to work on a 200,000 mile car, so I want to know I can figure it out and can get my hands where they need to go with a minimal amount of bloodshed.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:13 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
A lot of people just don't seem to care. I like stats, and specifications, so research, engine, horsepower, torque, fuel economy, maintenance requirements, etc. I do this before I even go into a show room, and typically know more than the salesman. It is too big of a purchase to not be informed.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:17 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
I pulled my Sonata into the dealer service dept one time for some recall work, the service advisor walks over and says "so what are doing to your Elantra today" . This is a guy who sits there all day every day watching Hyundais roll in, yet he couldn't tell the difference.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,627,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I have a guy friend who thought that his Acura TL had a V8 ! I didn't bother to correct him. LOL
I know a lot of people that say their car has a "V4".

Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
Women in General do care about engine size
1)Is it Cute
2)What color is it
3) Is It fast(for some ladies)
I have lady at my job that drives a nice clean BMW M3. I asked her one about her BBS Rims on the M3, Her response was "Whats a Rim"
I was done

Old 08-01-2017, 09:18 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A smaller engine also often means higher compression - usually through turbocharging. That translates to two things other than higher HP (but not as much torque at the lower end as most NA v-8s): higher octane gas (more expensive); and a higher likelihood of blown head gaskets later in life. Also sometimes the turbos are integrated and cooled by engine coolant. This can lead to huge problems or major costs later in life. I generally prefer to stick with an NA V-8, but I keep cars forever. I might start thinking about a replacement at 200,000 or 250,000 miles. If the turbo is bolt on and the head was designed for high compression (not just stronger bolts and a better gasket), turbo is ok, but I still generally prefer a NA engine. it is not jsut about longevity, but also how easy it is to work on. In later years, it is not worth paying a mechanic to work on a 200,000 mile car, so I want to know I can figure it out and can get my hands where they need to go with a minimal amount of bloodshed.
The modern 4cyl turbo craze has changed that thinking quite a bit. It's now possible to get a turbo that uses 87 octane and has no lag. They act and feel much like a V6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive