Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:32 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My mom and sister do this all the time. It's almost a given that if they bought a vehicle they won't have any idea about the engine. They don't even know how many cylinders their engine has. I've grown to accept "that's just how they are". Today a coworker and I were walking to our cars. He had just bought a 2016 Toyota Camry. I asked him which engine he has and he looked at me and said he had no idea. He didn't even know if he had a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder! Told him to pop the hood and at a glance knew he had the 4 cylinder. He bought a used car without even looking under the hood! Is this becoming a common thing among car buyers? Every car I bought, used and new, was looked at under the hood, in the trunk, in the wheel well, and other places.
Most people couldn't give a crap what makes their car move. They just want it to be reliable and cost efficient. Hobbyists / car enthusiasts are the only ones that care these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 09:51 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I get people not knowing the size (liters or cubic inches) and power of their engine. But you got to look under the hood at least once before you buy the car. Makes me wonder how many bring their car in for repairs and can't tell the service manager which engine it has since most vehicles are available with at least two different engines. I remember the exact size and nearly the exact horsepower of every car I've ever owned as well as the number of gears in the transmission.
If you know nothing about engines, why would you look under the hood? Do you think they would know what they were looking at? Would they know if something was out of place? Heck, most new(er) cars now have these engine covers which cover everything you would look at anyways.

Here is an example... When you buy clothes, do you look at the material it is made out of knowing which material is better or do you just buy the color you want?

Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
A lot of people just don't seem to care. I like stats, and specifications, so research, engine, horsepower, torque, fuel economy, maintenance requirements, etc. I do this before I even go into a show room, and typically know more than the salesman. It is too big of a purchase to not be informed.
This. Even though my last 3 car purchases have been Jeeps, I know exactly what I want when I walk in. My last 2 I bought sight unseen - the 2014 I bought off the delivery truck, having dealt with the details before I even walked into the dealership. My 2016 was a dealer order since I wanted options not common on the lot. I didn't even go into the dealership until it arrived and was ready for me to pick up.

My last 2 motorcycles were the same. I knew exactly what I wanted when I walked on, down to the stock number I wanted to look at. Makes life much easier.

No way I could bring myself to spend that kind of money on a vehicle and not know all the details.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:12 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
See the thread about the automobile as an appliance. People just don't care.
More and more common and will be universal with autonomous electrics.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:28 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,451,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Women in General do care about engine size
1)Is it Cute
2)What color is it
3) Is It fast(for some ladies)
I have lady at my job that drives a nice clean BMW M3. I asked her one about her BBS Rims on the M3, Her response was "Whats a Rim"
I was done
That's because they are called wheels.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:02 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Women in General do care about engine size
1)Is it Cute
2)What color is it
3) Is It fast(for some ladies)
I have lady at my job that drives a nice clean BMW M3. I asked her one about her BBS Rims on the M3, Her response was "Whats a Rim"
I was done
I associate the word "rim" with ghetto speak. "Aww, sheeeet dawg, when you'd get twetyfo inch rims fo yo donk".

The rim is not the entire wheel, but just the outer portion of the wheel which is in contact with the tire.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:12 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
If you know nothing about engines, why would you look under the hood? Do you think they would know what they were looking at? Would they know if something was out of place? Heck, most new(er) cars now have these engine covers which cover everything you would look at anyways.

Here is an example... When you buy clothes, do you look at the material it is made out of knowing which material is better or do you just buy the color you want?
I do check the material. I want as much cotton as possible. My work clothes aren't cotton so I wear a cotton t-shirt under my work shirt.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post

I usually do not look at the color. For suits, the salesperson brings me suits they think I will like and i look at my wife and she nods or shakes her head. I might note the general color to make sure I do not have to buy new ties or shoes to go with it. Otherwise, I do not much care. My other clothing either people buy for me, so they choose the colors or whomever donated the item to salvation item chose the color. If it is clean and in good shape and really cheap - then I am good with it. I suppose some glaring awful color would chase me away but for the most part, I just do not care. For fabric, as long as it is not polyester, I also do not care. My favorite fabric - linen is not really used anymore. I guess when it comes to clothing, I am an appliance driver. My goal with clothing is to spend as little as possible while with a car it is to get as much as I can afford subject ot other higher priorities like kids or the house. .

Old 08-01-2017, 12:27 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,261,224 times
Anytime I'm spending near 40 grand on an "appliance on wheels", I want to know all the details. Engine size and torque bearing right at the top. Just because I can't wrench on a new vehicle now doesn't mean I don't want to know all about it.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:33 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,261,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When my wife bought a used car long ago, the dealer tried to convince her (and later me) that it was a 6 cylinder engine. He kept insisting. I opened the hood and pointed out the four spark plug wires and he said on this model the the other two wires run inside the engine where you cannot see them.

I do not know why he did that. We knew it was a four, and we bought the car anyway, I guess he just could not handle being wrong.

My daughter recently bought a spark. 87 horsepower. She never even drove it ont he freeway. It was "cute" end of story.

My other daughter bought a Fiesta. It was cute too. She drove it around the block and liked how easy it was to park. Since she never drove on the freeway, she did not get the full experience of the DCT transmission that is now the subject of a class action lawsuit that Ford just settled. It was recently wrecked so now she is looking for a new recent model car. I am pointing her towards a Mazda 3 or a Ford Fusion. Not "cute" but at least they have some redeeming qualities.
"When my wife bought a used car long ago, the dealer tried to convince her (and later me) that it was a 6 cylinder engine. He kept insisting. I opened the hood and pointed out the four spark plug wires and he said on this model the the other two wires run inside the engine where you cannot see them."

How in the world did you keep from telling the salesman it's time he tried a new line of work? I would have had to ask him to explain to me how the invisible plug wires,or any wires could work inside of an engine full of moving parts and oil. I'm surprised he didn't try to sell you on its "hidden power". Geesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive