Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 01:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,708,698 times

Advertisements

True - in one way it's like regular insurance - but in another way it is not.

They are, IMHO, a very top heavy and profitable "non-profit". I knew some mid-level execs there and they made the big bux. They are also lobbyists against many things, including open space, public transit, higher MPG, etc.

So your member "dues" are advancing an agenda which you may...or may not...support.

"AAA issued a press release critical of the Clean Air Act, stating that it would "threaten the personal mobility of millions of Americans and jeopardize needed funds for new highway construction and safety improvements."[78] "AAA spokespeople have criticized open-space measures and opposed U.S. EPA restrictions on smog, soot, and tailpipe emissions."[79] "The club spent years battling stricter vehicle-emissions standards in Maryland, whose air, because of emissions and pollution from states upwind, is among the nation's worst."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 03:31 PM

844 posts, read 1,449,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Why is your AAA $122, mine in AZ is only $57.00, wife's $31.00. We've had over $400.00 in savings this year alone in perks.
The miles that they tow for 57.00 is almost useless....if you break down 1 minute after leaving your house, I guess they could tow it back to the house.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:35 PM

4,358 posts, read 7,262,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
The miles that they tow for 57.00 is almost useless....if you break down 1 minute after leaving your house, I guess they could tow it back to the house.
I know it varies by region, but in Texas, for example, the $52 basic plan gets you up to 7 miles of towing at no additional charge. And of course, if you want to be towed farther, they can do that but there is an additional per mile fee they are allowed to charge. Or you could pay for the premium plan, and get additional (100 miles, I think) of free towing.

I think the idea is to get you to a nearby service facility, if the responder can't get your vehicle going under its own power. The other reason someone might have a roadside assistance plan is to be able to call a single toll-free number, instead of having to play roulette with whatever roadside assistance/towing services are available and able to respond in the area, particularly when travelling away from your hometown.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,764,237 times
Just yesterday one of the nurses left her lights on... did it before and the battery is 9 years old.

AAA came out and suggested a new battery... I told her get the battery installed in the lot and be done with it...

Who else is going to bring you a battery at 10 pm on a Friday night?

I pay for AAA for Mom and it gives ME peace of mind...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-06-2017 at 08:32 AM..

Old 08-06-2017, 07:45 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,867,033 times
I want to sign up with them,but it can be useless on the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway.

Private companies are not allowed on those 2 privately owned highways,which are major highways.

Instead,you have to use their own private towing companies,and pay out of pocket upfront.

The whole idea is to not pay for towing out of pocket,but I would still have to.

I will get reimbursed through AAA though.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:02 AM

22,405 posts, read 29,522,524 times
We carry it because we use it for hotel discounts when traveling and it's always good to have for emergency's with car situations.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:18 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,702,216 times
I have used AAA for various reasons : Car Battery Boost, Flat Tire, Motel Discount, Rental Car Discount. Totally use the money I spend with them. Classic Membership only cost about 53 Dollars.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:49 AM

959 posts, read 2,027,653 times
I'm with the others that discounts on travel and recreation alone have made it worthwhile for me, with the auto service a nice bonus.

Over the last year or so, I've found a number of hotel chains will give you the same as a AAA rate if you are a member of their loyalty programs. However, the AAA rate has always been refundable (if canceled anywhere from day of check-in to 3 days before depending upon place) without penalty, and the hotel's similar rate is completely non-refundable once booked. So, my actual savings has gone down some, but I've gotten the flexibility to book and cancel as needed. Discounts on park tickets and other things are still worthwhile.

I've used the auto services (towing, gas....ugh, wrong distance remaining estimate on the trip computer, and battery) a handful of times as well, which is just easier than dealing with it otherwise.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:29 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,699,160 times
Should you join the Auto Club? I think that's like asking if you should have sex more than once per week. We all have different needs.

Except for the time I was stopped with a flat in a very tiny gore point, and didn't want my rear end to get rear-ended, I've always changed my own flat tires because I didn't want to wait 45 minutes for the AAA truck. However, I found membership to be of great value when I needed to be towed or jump-started, especially when travelling out of state. As soon as they see the CA license plates, the price goes up, which I learned when having mechanical work done.

The discounts, notary service, and DMV service are all nice bonuses, too.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:59 PM

8,398 posts, read 4,390,329 times
I kept AAA for about 5 years. Then, one day, my Tahoe just died on the side of the road about 10 miles form work and 20 from home. I called AAA. An hour later, I called again. Then, every 30 minutes for the next 2 hours. Then I called a friend with a tow truck. I will never pay AAA money again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive