Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:52 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,273,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
While I hear what your saying is it possible that AAA pays the lowest rates because the have the widest coverage? I'm concerned about getting someone on the phone immediately and then having that person know exactly what to do based on where I'm calling from. AAA has the most experience and widest network. If your only concerned about local driving then you certainly should be able to count on your dealer or insurance company. My gut instinct is to pay for AAA's experience and broad coverage for piece of mind.

I would like to hear from other posters that have experience with non-AAA coverage especially the ones that were far from home and needed assistance. Which raises another question. Whose to say these other services are not using AAA as a middleman? I wouldn't be surprised if AAA is wholesaling their services. Would you?
AAA pays the lowest rates because they wield the most aggregate power. For a wrecker to not accept AAA is like a restaurant not accepting VISA.

Is your concern about getting help from other services based on actual experience or observation or just fear of the unknown? AAA is not the only large nationwide service. And figuring out who to call based on your location is a computerized lookup not some operator thumbing through the yellow pages.

Actually, many of those auto roadside programs do subcontract AAA. So there ya go. Why are you worried? You get the network and resources of AAA for a fraction of the cost. Check out this article.
Who Really Provides Your Roadside Assistance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 09:02 AM

136 posts, read 136,461 times
We've had AAA for too many years to remember. Just the basic plan. The cost is less than $100 a year for both of us. It's cheap insurance for roadside assistance. We drive late model, properly maintained cars so breakdowns have never been an issue. But flat tires and battery problems can crop up. We've used them twice for help with flats, and once for a jump. Never waited more 20 or 30 minutes for them to arrive. In one case we were at a Travel America truck stop off I70 and I noticed a slack tire. I called AAA for help changing it. Turned out that station was one of their providers. One of their mechanics was there and working on that tire in almost less time than it took to make the call. Now that we're in our 70s I don't want to change a tire, even on my own driveway. We'll be keeping AAA.

There are similar services provided by insurance companies, credit cards, and auto manufacturers. But they're just token benefits. None of them have the network or resources AAA does. The dispatch center at the police department I'm retired from was constantly receiving calls from those outfits looking for tow companies they could call to help their customers. Never got such a call from AAA. I suppose you could find yourself so far out in the boonies AAA might tell you to find your own help, and send them the bill. But if you're that far out maybe you should have had your car checked before leaving home?

Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,046,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
AAA pays the lowest rates because they wield the most aggregate power. For a wrecker to not accept AAA is like a restaurant not accepting VISA.

Is your concern about getting help from other services based on actual experience or observation or just fear of the unknown? AAA is not the only large nationwide service. And figuring out who to call based on your location is a computerized lookup not some operator thumbing through the yellow pages.

Actually, many of those auto roadside programs do subcontract AAA. So there ya go. Why are you worried? You get the network and resources of AAA for a fraction of the cost. Check out this article.

Fear of the unknown AND BIGDOG811's post!

Thanks for the link. I haven't read it just yet but I'm keeping an open mind! Thanks again.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:44 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,684,268 times
Why pay for AAA, most of your Credit Cards have roadside assistance and towing. Your insurance most likely has it, as well as any new car under warranty. You can get a 10% discount at any hotel/motel by just asking.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

OK. I've read it and I am still not moved to change from AAA. In the article it says that the same company, Agero, provides coverage to both Ford and Progressive Ins. However they are not the same coverage. Now if I could deal directly with the company and customize the coverage to my needs that would help. Nope. Until it becomes prohibitively expensive I'm sticking with AAA. Again, thank you Oceangaia for the link as it was very informative. Happy Motoring!!!

p.s. AAA, Scott Bathroom Tissue, Heinz's Ketchup and Hellman's Mayo FOREVER!!!

Old 08-03-2017, 11:04 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,273,968 times
You are not alone. AAA has a tremendously loyal customer base. Companies that can achieve that are fortunate. I think AAA makes it's money by winning it's customers loyalty when they are young and poor and need those services but keep them long after they seldom use them. I think there are more economical ways to duplicate all the services but to many people it's not even worth the research mush less a minor cost savings. At the end of the day, anyone doing well enough to not need the services is not going to miss $120/yr.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,748,982 times
I just got notice that in order to renew my home insurance (I moved auto to another company last year) I have to renew my AAA membership. As a consumer I would prefer that these two services be unlinked but was wondering if there is justification for this requirement besides revenue for them?

Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 AM

6,571 posts, read 8,428,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I quit AAA. I dumped it after I got rid of both of our 17 year old cars.

Furthermore, my car insurance includes roadside assistance.

Also, you likely have a smartphone in your pocket. You can easily summon a towing company if you need one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
I had AAA for 2 years and never had to use it. I didn't renew after that. I have roadside assistance through my auto insurance and also one of my credit cards for free.

What I hate about AAA is I still get mail from them wanting me to renew my membership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
Why would you waste your money since all new cars have at least 3 years equivalent (or better) than what AAA offers?
Also your insurance company probably offers an equivalent deal to AAA for a lot less.

Only reason I had AAA years back was hardcopy maps, but GPS and phone apps made it useless for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I have roadside assistance through my vehicle insurance. It's a few dollars a month.

My advice is to know your insurance carrier's policies on road side assistance before you're stranded on the side of the road.

I allowed my AAA membership to expire because I have RSA through my insurance carrier - State Farm. This past winter, I ran over something in the road that punctured my tire and it went flat immediately. On the shoulder of the road, I called the 800-number for RSA on the back of my insurance card - "Your hold time is 35 minutes"

I'm sitting on the side of busy interstate with cars flying past at 75+ mph. I'm not waiting 35 minutes just to talk to someone. I hang up and call my local agent directly to see if they can get a tow truck out sooner. Nope. They said I have to go through the 800-number.

Another thing with my policy is that I have to pay up front, and then submit a claim through my insurance to be reimbursed with the caveat that it's up to a certain amount. Since this is seen as a claim, it can affect my premium.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:21 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,973,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I just got notice that in order to renew my home insurance (I moved auto to another company last year) I have to renew my AAA membership. As a consumer I would prefer that these two services be unlinked but was wondering if there is justification for this requirement besides revenue for them?
Have you checked with your auto insurer to see what discounts you might get if you moved your homeowner's over to them?

Old 08-03-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
My advice is to know your insurance carrier's policies on road side assistance before you're stranded on the side of the road.

I allowed my AAA membership to expire because I have RSA through my insurance carrier - State Farm. This past winter, I ran over something in the road that punctured my tire and it went flat immediately. On the shoulder of the road, I called the 800-number for RSA on the back of my insurance card - "Your hold time is 35 minutes"

I'm sitting on the side of busy interstate with cars flying past at 75+ mph. I'm not waiting 35 minutes just to talk to someone. I hang up and call my local agent directly to see if they can get a tow truck out sooner. Nope. They said I have to go through the 800-number.

Another thing with my policy is that I have to pay up front, and then submit a claim through my insurance to be reimbursed with the caveat that it's up to a certain amount. Since this is seen as a claim, it can affect my premium.

I'm sure there may be others that had positive experiences with non-AAA provides and negative experiences with AAA. I just think at this point the car dealers and insurance companies consider this more of a perk. It's not a primary revenue stream for them. AAA now has other sources of revenue also but the roadside program has to still be their bread and butter.

Thanks for sharing.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for AAA. I just think they provide a valuable service and are pretty good at it and have been for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive