Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:20 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
no such thing as 100% octane fuel. there is 100 octane fuel though, there is also 105 octane.

and by the way, 91 octane and 100 octane are NOT two different fuels, they are the same fuel with different octane ratings.

two different fuels would be gasoline and ethanol.

Or gasoline and LPG, which many trucks can be set up for from the factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 04:11 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
My tractors will run on 2 different fuels - gasoline and kerosene, and they don't have a fuel pump at all!

Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Almost every performance car made in the last couple decades has a high octane "mode," it is just engine management mapping parameters. Many car owners use aftermarket chips or computers to take advantage of "tuner" specs, in other words the ability to use 100 octane is just a chip setting or a "retune." I think the fact that a manufacturer mapped this into the standard computer is not that special. Most probably don't bother because that fuel is not readily available so it would pretty much be a waste of effort for most drivers.

Others who do "bother" to map their cars for this gas don't bother to tell you about it with a "mode" indicator. That's just an unnecessary "look at me" light. Advertising.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016/...-corvette-z06/

I'm not sure why R&T would go along with this claim it is the first factory car to use 100 octane. That's just nonsense.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-07-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 01:14 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Sure it can, I can switch between tunes to run 89,93 or 104. doesnt need 2 fuel pumps though
Get it to do a wheelie, then I'll be impressed

Old 08-07-2017, 08:12 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
These specs on the 2018 Dodge Demon are ridiculous - and awesome

Old 08-07-2017, 08:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
ok we get it you are popping a healthy woody for this demon, that you probably cannot afford, and all you can really do is rub out a chubby while you drool over the pictures of the car.

you would probably faint dead away if you ever approached one in the showroom.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
ok we get it you are popping a healthy woody for this demon, that you probably cannot afford, and all you can really do is rub out a chubby while you drool over the pictures of the car.

you would probably faint dead away if you ever approached one in the showroom.
I don't have to see them in the showroom, I can take a 20 mile drive to Auburn Hills Michigan and see them in Chrysler corporation World HQ parking lot. I'm a big mopar fan had a 1964 Dodge Polara in the 70's, I worked at their Warren Truck assembly plant in the late 70's early 80's. I have friends that still work for the company. And everyone on here who thinks that Chrysler is on its way out haven't a clue what in the hell they are talking about, Chrysler is making money they are taking over quality control for Fiat also. And who on here would not love to have a Demon or a Hellcat.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:47 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
I looked at the specs page and I'm amazed that it has no seats - other than the driver seat; but they can be purchased for 2 dollars. Why would they do this? What does that make it? Essentially a race car for someone who doesn't want to be bothered - or cannot build their own race car? Is it a base for someone who wants to build a fast track car, to purchase and then modify? That would be a very expensive prospect and again, you could probably get more HP for less if you started with a normal streetable V8.

Over my lifetime, I have known a couple of guys who have built 9 second cars and drive them on the street. But they - both the cars and their owners - are a PITA to drive on the street with the engine (in the old days) being too temperamental to be anything but a handfull. And then there is the issue of what can you legally do with all that power on a street?

This is a one trick pony that will sit in a garage and be looked at and maybe once in a while it may go to a track. I suppose to some, that makes it worth the close to a hundred grand price?

Personally, if I could afford it I don't think I would want it because of the space it will take, the cost of the fuel it will eat, the fact that it is really a track car yet it is pre-BANNED at the track; this all leads me back to the conclusion that this is built really to sit in a garage somewhere and to provide Fiat with a lot of money for that privilege of taking up garage space.

Will it appreciate? I would think so... but again, only if it is never driven more than just enough to keep it's seals lubricated. Cars that are actually driven more than that really have too much HP and probably a low number of skilled owners - this tends to get them bent, and that lowers resale a bunch. There are probably better investments to be had, like bitcoins, gold, and silver.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-08-2017 at 03:14 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I looked at the specs page and I'm amazed that it has no seats - other than the driver seat. So, what does that make it? Essentially a race car for someone who doesn't want to be bother - or cannot build their own race car.

It is a one trick pony that will sit in a garage and be looked at and maybe once in a while it may go to a track. I suppose to some, that makes it worth close to a hundred grand, but I also imagine someone who wants a 'real' race car will build one themselves for far less?

Personally, if I could afford it, the space it will take, the cost of the fuel it will eat do really make it a track only car, yet it is BANNED at the track. This leads me back to the conclusion that this is built really to sit in a garage somewhere and to provide Fiat with a lot of money for that privilege.
They are only going to build 3,000 for the 2018 production year, I assume that they are all ready sold also. It's a car just like the Mustang Shelby 350 GTR they also don't have a back seat.

Last edited by easy62; 08-08-2017 at 03:52 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 03:11 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I don't have to see them in the showroom, I can take a 20 mile drive to Auburn Hills Michigan and see them in Chrysler corporation World HQ parking lot. I'm a big mopar fan had a 1964 Dodge Polara in the 70's, I worked at their Warren Truck assembly plant in the late 70's early 80's. I have friends that still work for the company. And everyone on here who thinks that Chrysler is on its way out haven't a clue what in the hell they are talking about, Chrysler is making money they are taking over quality control for Fiat also. And who on here would not love to have a Demon or a Hellcat.
i am happy for you, as for who would not love to have a demon or hellcat, try me. i am sure they are fine cars, but they are far too expensive fr me to ever consider. i wouldnt consider a new vette, or shelby either. again they are fine cars, but far too expensive. for the money these cars cost, i can build vintage cars to do just about everything the new stuff does, and have money left over to buy insurance, gasoline, groceries, etc. why buy when i can build instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive