Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 12:21 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
In my area, some stations (primarily Exxon and Mobil) charge ten cents more per gallon if you use a credit/debit card versus cash. I don't care who I annoy for a ten cent per a gallon price difference, so that's my reason.

Many people are simply scared by the seemingly constant news stories about skimmers installed in the pumps, and that's their reason.
Paying cash for gas and groceries makes it easier to stick with a budget.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:35 PM

78,442 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Really I don't think there is any solution to the OP's observations of inconsideration. The fuel business has such a slim margin for the station operator that their real profit comes from getting you in the store. Otherwise they would be out there directing traffic and making sure no one blocked the pumps any longer than necessary. Once again, follow the money. It would be nice if all stations provided enough parking to allow everyone to pump then park but around here some of the stations were converted to convenience stores from small service stations so space is limited.

It seems like in our society we only come together after a crisis, otherwise it's I pay my taxes and I have kids to put through school so I don't have the time or energy to be considerate of others. Really sad but I'm guessing most of us are guilty of this at times in one way or another.
At this place there were actually spots open right in front of the place and a couple dozen open spots about 100 feet away (Big truckstop type place).

I personally admit that if there are 16 spots and there are 3 cars at them for example, I might leave my car at the pump too.

It's just that the pumps were packed and there were open parking spots and after I finally get a spot I look around and there are half the pumps with a car parked in front of them, nobody around, no gas being pumped...nothing.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:36 PM

998 posts, read 1,238,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Gas Station Idiots ??

As in NJ and Oregon ? (where you cannot pump your own Gasoline?)

Many passing through OR from Canada (in their Diesels) get a tank full of Gasoline courtesy of the Pump Jockeys not allowing them to 'self' fill. Of course the victims get to :
1) pay for the Gas
2) Get stranded and miss plans
3) pay for the tow
4) Pay to have tank drained and HAZARDOUS disposal fee for the gas they just paid for
5) Pay to Refill will Diesel
6) Get to buy a new injector pump in the next few months ($800 - $4000)

Nice!
Not sure about New Jersey, but in Oregon you can pump your own fuel if you have a diesel or if you're riding a motorcycle.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Paying cash for gas and groceries makes it easier to stick with a budget.
I'm going to use the same amount of fuel whether or not I'm using cash or credit, it makes no difference.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:44 PM

78,442 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I always leave my car at the pump trump. I pay cash nash and always cash. Don't need a skimmer taking my CC info joe.
I have no issue with cash payers for whatever their rationale.

But for example, after I finally got a spot, I filled my tank with about 14 gallons and was finishing up when the 20-something couple strolled back to their car next to me and then started fueling so we're talking around 10 minutes or more that they parked in the pump spot, went in and did whatever before strolling back out to pump their gas.

If someone parks in front of pump for a 20-30 minute crap\gas\food stop when the place is really busy...then they're being a d-bag imo.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
In my area, some stations (primarily Exxon and Mobil) charge ten cents more per gallon if you use a credit/debit card versus cash. I don't care who I annoy for a ten cent per a gallon price difference, so that's my reason.

Many people are simply scared by the seemingly constant news stories about skimmers installed in the pumps, and that's their reason.
Meh, I'd pay the ten cents difference just to keep from going inside and standing in line.

As for the skimmers, that's why you don't use a debit card... if you use a credit card you have fraud protection, one call and the charges are dismissed.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:45 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,072,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
When you pay cash, you have to prepay. I have also been to stations that are lazy about keeping receipt paper stocked in the pumps, so I've had to go inside for my receipt.

Just tend to your business and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.
It is not universal. In Minneaoplis-St. Paul, some places requires pre-pay/pay-at-the-pump for all after a certain time (say 8 p.m.) while others have it in place only for the outer pumps (furthest away from the building) and some, as you write, require it always. I see the first two most often in the Twin Cities, outstate and neighboring states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So...they went inside to pay for their gas and no one else can use it till they do that anyway and you're upset with them? Not everyone uses the card swipers. Gas stations are one of the more common places to find card skimmers.
Common practice for paying inside. As written upthread, some places ask that you leave your car at pump until paid. No place will reset the pump until paid anyway.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:47 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,072,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have no issue with cash payers for whatever their rationale.

But for example, after I finally got a spot, I filled my tank with about 14 gallons and was finishing up when the 20-something couple strolled back to their car next to me and then started fueling so we're talking around 10 minutes or more that they parked in the pump spot, went in and did whatever before strolling back out to pump their gas.

If someone parks in front of pump for a 20-30 minute crap\gas\food stop when the place is really busy...then they're being a d-bag imo.
Well, yeah, that's just being dbags.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
You'll find most people think they are the only ones on the planet. They are only thinking of themselves 24/7... nobody cares about anyone else anymore. Not even common courtesy..

Old 08-06-2017, 01:20 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
At this place there were actually spots open right in front of the place and a couple dozen open spots about 100 feet away (Big truckstop type place).

I personally admit that if there are 16 spots and there are 3 cars at them for example, I might leave my car at the pump too.

It's just that the pumps were packed and there were open parking spots and after I finally get a spot I look around and there are half the pumps with a car parked in front of them, nobody around, no gas being pumped...nothing.
Regarding that last situation, sometimes the station has a problem with one or more pumps. If it is crowded, even a couple of glitches can really cause a bottleneck. Similar to being in a crowded supermarket and one or two of the registers is screwed up. It throws a kink in the flow, not that the flow is all that smooth anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive