Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,731,080 times

Advertisements

I've gone on ride-alongs with different departments and the culture of the department varied greatly.

The OPD ride alongs were the fastest shifts in my life... responding from one call to the next from made down with gunshots to armed robbery, car theft, burglary, etc.

With nearby departments the emphasis was to find something to do... when it was slow some would go to places known for speeding or running lights.

Also hanging around the bars at closing time was popular.

It really did vary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 10:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,484,474 times
I was once pulled over because the police officer said that he thought I "looked lost." It was late at night and I had out-of-state plates, but I wasn't lost. I knew exactly where I was going: back to my college campus after Thanksgiving break. So I have no idea why he would think I was lost. I was driving normally.

Maybe he was just bored and wanted to talk to somebody. Lol My friends teased me and said that he wanted to get my phone number or something. But I don't think that was it. First of all, he never asked me my phone number or even for ID. And I doubt he could see I am a woman, like I said it was late at night I don't think he could see who was driving.

It was odd though.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:12 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,963,645 times
I've been pulled over 6 or 7 times in 39 years of driving, mainly for speeding. Once I got pulled over twice 10 minutes apart, just about 30 years ago. I was always doing what they said I was doing, and I have always gotten a ticket any time I have pulled over. Once and only once, the last time I was pulled over, the officer gave me a break in the ticket and lowered the speed from 79 mph to 65 mph in a 55 mph zone. That was a nice break, taking me from 24 mph over the speed limit to 10 mph over.

One time, in 1985, I was tailed by a police officer for a good number of miles. He followed me very closely the whole time, making me a little nervous, I hadn't done anything wrong - it was one of those rare occasions when I wasn't speeding. It started out on a parkway and then he followed me when I exited. Finally, I made a turn and he went in the other direction, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Another time, in 1986, I was able to escape from a cop who tried to pull me over for speeding. I was doing 55 mph in a 40 mph zone on the same parkway as the last incident I described. I suddenly saw a cop off to the side, but it was too late to slow down. I passed him and he immediately pulled out and started to pursue me. It was a curvy road, and I quickly hit a curve and momentarily we lost sight of each other since he hadn't caught up to me yet. There was an intersection and I made a quick decision to turn left. The turn took me into a maze of residential streets. I drove around there for a little bit, having shaken the cop, and got back on the parkway further up.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:59 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,599,327 times
Not a "pulled over" tale, plus I'm sure I've mentioned this in another thread, but more than 30 years back, I crossed the U.S./Canada border in a rental with N.J. plates, and eventually found myself in outer Montreal, parked by the side of the road, perusing a map, looking for the hotel I'd made a phone reservation at.
A cop pulled in behind behind me, and rapped on the window, telling me, (in French), that I was in a no parking zone, I replied, (in French), that I was looking for X hotel.
Amazed, he switched into English, and said, "You're American, and you can speak French?"
I said "No, I'm English and I can speak French."
He said, "Suivez-moi", (follow me), and took me the 8-10 minutes to the hotel, for which I thanked him.
It must have been obvious to him that the car was registered in the U.S., by the N.J. plates, so I guess he thought he'd just have some fun, and jerk a Yank's chain.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:10 AM

193 posts, read 183,631 times
Yes in all but my very first vehicle. I was pulled over by a game warden in that one so that kinda counts lol

Old 09-09-2017, 06:07 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,963,645 times
We should have a contest to see who has gotten the most tickets. I wouldn't come close to winning, but it could be pretty funny to hear all the stories.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:11 AM

1,857 posts, read 838,782 times
Technically I've never been pulled over in my 10 years of driving.
There was a weight station that I normally avoided by taking an earlier exit and going under the PrePass sensor. Wound up missing the sensor and had to pull in. There's a stop sign, then the scale, and then another stop sign. I managed to completely miss the first stop sign, so sure enough they called me in. The first thing I said was "didn't even see the first stop sign" he just smiled and informed me that I was also 20 or 30 pounds over the 80,000 lbs limit. Wound up just letting me go after I pulled out a weigh slip that showed me being just under the limit.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:53 AM

30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
I've been pulled over twice. The first time was for going 95 in 70mph zone. Because I was active duty military, however, the officer only gave me a $15 "failure to wear a seat belt" ticket, which I gladly accepted.

The second time, the cop pulled me over because he claimed that I ran the stop sign (that was complete BS). He let me off with a "warning," though I was secretly looking to get ticketed in order to be able to confront him in court.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:46 PM

35,171 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Are you joking with this question? It might be easier asking who HASN'T been pulled over.
Almost everyone has had a speeding ticket or some other type of driving infractions some time in there life, many more than one.
I agree. Here are the ones I remember, and I got my driver's license in November 1973:
  1. February 1974, running stop sign (warning);
  2. November 1976, Ontario, Canada at Quebec border (paid ticket, people in college dorm wondering why);
  3. May 1978 (I think) speeding in New Rochelle, NY (got off with warning);
  4. August 1978 (I think) speeding in New Rochelle, NY (pleaded guilty with explanation, same officer as prior pull-over);
  5. November 1978, speeding in Deposit New York on Route 17 (pleaded guilty with explanation);
  6. December 1978, speeding in Lansing, New York (hired lawyer, pleaded down to defective equipment to avoid 3d violation license revocation);
  7. July 1982, speeding on Henry Hudson Parkway, NYC (tried case myself, gained acquittal, more information for anyone interested);
  8. September 1986, near Montreal (talked officer out of issuing ticket);
  9. July 1987, Westhampton Beach, New York (hired lawyer, pleaded down to minor violation of some kind);
  10. July 1991 speeding in Great Barrington, Mass. (paid ticket to avoid it hitting license);
  11. December 1994 speeding in Town of Stratton, Vermont (let off with warning since it was Christmas);
  12. September 18, 2001, speeding on New York State Thruway (hired lawyer, pleaded down to parking on pavement);
  13. Unknown date in mid-2000's, texting in White Plains, (hired lawyer, pleaded to non-moving violation);
  14. Unknown date in mid-2000's, expired license plates, (no ticket, told that old plates were no longer good);
  15. Unknown date in mid-2000's, texting in Rye Brook, (hired lawyer, pleaded to non-moving violation);
  16. July 2012 - Flashing lights and crossing center line in passing slow car (hired lawyer, pleaded to non-moving violation);
  17. September 2012 (speeding in Stephentown, New York (hired lawyer, pleaded to two-point violation);
  18. April 2016, texting in Scarsdale, New York (actually changing a song on phone) (hired lawyer, pleaded to non-moving violation);
  19. May 2016, speeding in White Plains, New York (hired lawyer, pleaded to to non-moving violation)

Old 09-09-2017, 01:52 PM

35,171 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
One time, in 1985, I was tailed by a police officer for a good number of miles. He followed me very closely the whole time, making me a little nervous, I hadn't done anything wrong - it was one of those rare occasions when I wasn't speeding. It started out on a parkway and then he followed me when I exited. Finally, I made a turn and he went in the other direction, and I breathed a sigh of relief.
In 1989 I was on a blind date. On my way to take the girl home I was tailed by the officer from the point where I got off I-287 into Hartsdale. He followed closely my every turn. Eventually I parked on Hartsdale Avenue and waited for him to pass. I don't know what he was up to to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive