Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:44 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times

Advertisements

Love those old classics from the 30's and 40's

I did drive a totally stock Model A.. all 40 hp and mechanical brakes from the SF Bay Area to Reno for the Model A Convention.... just me on the open road in my 1930 Model A.

Went highway 50 through Tahoe and over the mountains... it really was a wonderful drive and glad I had the opportunity... got 2nd place at Nationals too in my class.

Since then it has been mostly Wine Country or Pacific Coast Highway touring...

We have had club members drive from the Bearing Straight to the tip of South America in Model A's... around the world including Jordan and India in their Model A's plus coast to coast travels... I would say they really love driving... 400 miles in one day in a Model A is quite a trek...

My best domestic trek was when I drive Highway 1 in a 68 Convertible Mustang and never put the top up... it was Spring Break with Beach Boys Endless Summer on the 8 track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:44 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Yes.

I drive for pleasure sometimes and I used to own a motorcycle. However, stop-and-go traffic and boring stretches of interstate can make driving a chore. Driving for a living would get old and boring fast for me.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:50 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Drove city-buses in Seattle for 11-years......I quit while I was making very good money. So yeah, I got very sick of driving.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:44 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One of my sons just got a job driving around one of those trucks with a big advertising sign on the back. He complains about how boring it is. I have a hard time with that. I love driving. Other than the pittance he is paid, is sounds like a great job to me. Within a certain area, he can drive it wherever he wants. When I get bored, I go for a drive - for fun. Sometimes I just keep driving all day, because I am enjoying it. I cannot see it getting boring ever. It might get tiring, but 8 or 9 hours is not that long. On road trips I often drive for 16 hours if necessary. I stop when I get too tired, but I am never bored.

Anyone drive all day and love it or hate it?

Why?
I have been driving for over 40 years. Driving never gets old for me. I've had a lot of driving jobs in my lifetime. Even doing deliveries in heavy city traffic and loved it. But how over the road truck drivers do it, I have no idea. I can't imagine sitting in a truck for 14 hours a day staring at the straight open road while driving across Wyoming or Nebraska. I would fall asleep before I could get through the first shift.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:46 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Primary reason I took early retirement at age 53 in 1997 was not because of work pressures but because of the 64-mile round trip commute. Wife and I were in a van pool but it folded and I had to drive. She was afraid of driving, y'see.

In retirement, I've averaged 2,500-3,000 miles per week, mostly to stores, doctors, and church. Three times a year tops, I drive to my brother's place, 18 miles away. That's as far as I go.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:22 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
............But how over the road truck drivers do it, I have no idea. I can't imagine sitting in a truck for 14 hours a day staring at the straight open road while driving across Wyoming or Nebraska. I would fall asleep before I could get through the first shift.
Odd. That's the part that never got old, to me.
I drove a steady 150,000 miles a year. The driving part almost never got old. There were other parts that did, but not the driving part.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:36 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
I won't say my son, a professional owner-operator (his truck cost more than my house) loves it, but he loves the income it provides to him. People find it hard to believe a trucker can gross 20k a month.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:10 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Primary reason I took early retirement at age 53 in 1997 was not because of work pressures but because of the 64-mile round trip commute. Wife and I were in a van pool but it folded and I had to drive. She was afraid of driving, y'see.

In retirement, I've averaged 2,500-3,000 miles per week, mostly to stores, doctors, and church. Three times a year tops, I drive to my brother's place, 18 miles away. That's as far as I go.

Wow! That's a lot of driving! Over 10,000 to 12,000 miles a month. That's hard core.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:13 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I won't say my son, a professional owner-operator (his truck cost more than my house) loves it, but he loves the income it provides to him. People find it hard to believe a trucker can gross 20k a month.

Obviously he is in a highly specialized field. Regular truckers are lucky to make $3k or $4k a month.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One of my sons just got a job driving around one of those trucks with a big advertising sign on the back. He complains about how boring it is. I have a hard time with that. I love driving. Other than the pittance he is paid, is sounds like a great job to me. Within a certain area, he can drive it wherever he wants. When I get bored, I go for a drive - for fun. Sometimes I just keep driving all day, because I am enjoying it. I cannot see it getting boring ever. It might get tiring, but 8 or 9 hours is not that long. On road trips I often drive for 16 hours if necessary. I stop when I get too tired, but I am never bored.

Anyone drive all day and love it or hate it?

Why?
Driving for fun is different than driving for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive