Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 06:07 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If you run into me in the rain, the accident report is going to show that you ignored my hazard lights.
I won't run into you in the rain even if they were off. How do you know the police report wouldn't say that some other driver hit you because your hazards confused them? You don't write the report yourself, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 06:08 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
You have to slow down before you can pull over. If you are slowing down and preparing to pull over because you are having a hard time seeing, then the car behind you will be having a hard time seeing you. If you don't warn the driver behind you in advance, that you are having difficulty and slowing down to pull over, the driver behind you will not have time to react. One second you are both traveling 40 mph, and the next second you have slowed to 30 mph and the car behind you is still going 40 mph, because you don't want to put on your hazard lights until after you stop.

Putting on your hazard lights after you stop is like putting on your turn signal after you make a turn.
That's what brake lights are for.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:49 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's what brake lights are for.
I drive 95% with the gas pedal, so my break lights are rarely on.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:54 AM

453 posts, read 318,039 times
it is ilegal in the vast majority of states to drive with the lights on.
and it is ilegal in Florida by the way.

Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Old 05-07-2018, 11:14 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
it is ilegal in the vast majority of states to drive with the lights on.
and it is ilegal in Florida by the way.

Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws
Did you even look at that link you posted? According to that list it's only illegal to drive with hazard lights on in Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, Rhode Island, and Puerto Rico. Which means that it is LEGAL to drive with hazard lights on in the vast majority of states.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:15 PM

453 posts, read 318,039 times
Quote:
Did you even look at that link you posted? According to that list it's only illegal to drive with hazard lights on in Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, Rhode Island, and Puerto Rico. Which means that it is LEGAL to drive with hazard lights on in the vast majority of states.
it is illegal to drive with lights on in the vast majority of states unless in case of emergency or traffic hazard.
-rain is not a traffic hazard useless you have to stop completely of fall below 30 miles per hour - the correct procedure is to turn the headlights on.

so in most cases unless you are driving on a hurricane it is ilegal to do so.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:08 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I won't run into you in the rain even if they were off. How do you know the police report wouldn't say that some other driver hit you because your hazards confused them? You don't write the report yourself, you know.
Why would they be confused by hazard lights??? What's there to be confused about? Not matter what the road conditions or number of cars on the road, if you find yourself coming up on the car in front of you, you are the one who needs to slow down and back off.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:19 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,559,982 times
I've received 20 reputation bumps off of this thread, way more than any other in my history here. It must've been the "rebel scooter" comment! Ha!

I just don't see the issue here. If someone wants to kick on their hazards in a blinding rain storm, so be it. We should all be slowing down anyway when we can't see 20 feet in front of us.

Some cars (mine included) have a little button that will illuminate a bright light on the back driver's side of the car that is meant for fog and rain. I think that is more annoying than hazards, as it looks like the car is applying the brakes. Volvo, Merc's, and several others have this button.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:28 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,552 times
Quote:
LOL, when was the last time you saw a cop pull anybody over for anything in the middle of a thunderstorm? When the storm hits all the cops head to the doughnut shops for their breaks. Because 1. they don't want to have to get out of their cars in the rain and get wet, and 2. doing so, would be extremely hazardous. If they didn't get hit by a hydroplaning vehicle that could get stuck by lightning. That's why cops work hard to fill their ticket quota while the sun is shining, so they don't have to do it in bad weather.

I realise this isn’t about hazards, or even the U.S., but it is about cops in the rain.
I was driving a 2000 gallon oil tanker, between Andover, Hampshire, and Salisbury, Wiltshire, U.K., not in a thunderstorm, but in heavy rain, when a cop pulled me over.
He got in on the passenger side, sat down, and said, “There is something hanging down, under the front of the driver compartment,close to the wheel.”
I said, “There is? I had no idea.”
He said, “Well you’d better check it out.”
I got out, in the pouring rain, and looked under the wheel arch, nothing.
I told the cop, and he said, “You’d better get right under from the front.”
I took another look, zilch, and climbed back up to the cab, like a drowned rat, “Can’t see anything”, I said.
The cop said, “It must have been your foot, at the speed you were doing, it must have been through the floor.”
I learned a small lesson that night, but it didn’t stop me from leaning on the gas when the opportunity arose.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:54 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,647 times
I'm for it when the rain is like the 3:30 mark in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCUSIqI92o

Last edited by j7r6s; 05-07-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive