Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 11:09 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You have to slow down before you can pull over. If you are slowing down and preparing to pull over because you are having a hard time seeing, then the car behind you will be having a hard time seeing you. If you don't warn the driver behind you in advance, that you are having difficulty and slowing down to pull over, the driver behind you will not have time to react. One second you are both traveling 40 mph, and the next second you have slowed to 30 mph and the car behind you is still going 40 mph, because you don't want to put on your hazard lights until after you stop.

Putting on your hazard lights after you stop is like putting on your turn signal after you make a turn.
If you're changing lanes and/or pulling off the roadway you better have your directional on so the people behind you know what you're doing. If you have your flashers on your directionals do not function. Ticket for Failure to Signal well earned while creating a hazardous situation for everyone else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 11:36 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If you're changing lanes and/or pulling off the roadway you better have your directional on so the people behind you know what you're doing. If you have your flashers on your directionals do not function. Ticket for Failure to Signal well earned while creating a hazardous situation for everyone else!
Yes, you can not use your turn signal when your hazard lights are on. I think we all know how car lights work. If you are changing lanes, using the turn signal would be the best choice. Otherwise using the hazard lights is fine.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:04 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times
Quote:
Yep, that's why hazard lights are a necessity when driving in the rain. There is always some idiot behind you driving 60 mph, with his engine check light on, holding a camera in one hand, who admits that he can't see a thing, but keeps charging ahead full speed anyway, and he is probably just following your tail lights.
Do you hear yourself? "just following your tail lights". You can see them! What difference will flashers make other than to confuse the person behind you? Those cars can already be seen.... by your own words. Your directional signals don't work while under flasher use...... by your own words. You are effectively taking away certain safety features and misrepresenting others just because YOU believe it.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:45 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 4 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I'm from Ohio and I always noticed that when I'm driving in the south (NC, SC, FL), when it rains people always turn on their hazard lights.

has anyone else noticed that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
I've noticed and it drives me nuts.
I fail to see what's so bad about turning on hazard lights during the rain. Isn't driving slow, especially during bad road conditions, supposed to be a sensible time to turn on the hazard lights. A lot of people keep their headlights on all day on the road (and in fact, legally required in large parts of Europe). I don't see the southern way any less senseless than the European way.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:47 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Do you hear yourself? "just following your tail lights". You can see them! What difference will flashers make other than to confuse the person behind you? Those cars can already be seen.... by your own words. Your directional signals don't work while under flasher use...... by your own words. You are effectively taking away certain safety features and misrepresenting others just because YOU believe it.
Yes, I hear myself very well. I have been driving for over 40 years. When a driver can't see anything else, they start following the tail lights infront of them. Which works fine until the lead car decides to stop with no warning. Then the cars behind just start crashing into each other, one after the other, until 50, 100, 200 cars are involved. It happens all the time. Some of you people, I wonder if you even drive a car at all.

Second, you are the one who are taking away a certain safety feature, by not using hazard lights when driving. I'm advocating using both turn signals and hazard lights. It's not like there is a switch on your car where you have to decide in advance which feature you want to enable and which you want to disable. You can use both. If you are driving with your hazard lights on, and want to use your turn signal, it's a simple as flipping your turn signal on and flipping the hazard lights off.

Third, I have no idea what I'm misrepresenting. Why don't you enlighten me.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 AM

765 posts, read 474,114 times
hazard blinking or just the smaller yellow caution lights?

yeah? so? better safer than sorrier.... and i'm a transplanted Yankee here in south, as the daughter of a port authority police officer who died right after 9/11, i was raised on lights on in bad weather every time!!!!! no matter where i hung my hat as home.

i don't mind it when people use their hazards blinking away, it let's the speed demons out there, oh yeah, we all know them by their insane driving.... gives them a chance to not plow into someone going way slower because they are super cautious..... in downpours so few people will slow down and I think it is really a good idea for the super cautious to warn others they are driving much slower than normal. Great idea in my book.... and might save them a rear-end collision, what with road rage everywhere, why not blink your hazards to warn the speed demons???? and don't even get me started on the people who MUST answer the phone, text while driving or even go on the web for news!!!! crazy people like that are accidents waiting to happen.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Yes, I hear myself very well. I have been driving for over 40 years. When a driver can't see anything else, they start following the tail lights infront of them. Which works fine until the lead car decides to stop with no warning. Then the cars behind just start crashing into each other, one after the other, until 50, 100, 200 cars are involved. It happens all the time. Some of you people, I wonder if you even drive a car at all.

Second, you are the one who are taking away a certain safety feature, by not using hazard lights when driving. I'm advocating using both turn signals and hazard lights. It's not like there is a switch on your car where you have to decide in advance which feature you want to enable and which you want to disable. You can use both. If you are driving with your hazard lights on, and want to use your turn signal, it's a simple as flipping your turn signal on and flipping the hazard lights off.

Third, I have no idea what I'm misrepresenting. Why don't you enlighten me.
I've been driving 55+ years now just to put your 40 into perspective. Never a chargeable accident, several speeding tickets. I would seldom use flashers while moving, especially when driving lights, directional signals and brake lights appear to be more than sufficient for the accomplished driver.

You have been enlightened sufficiently, no need for further discussion. Your mind is made up and no amount of reason seems to sway it, so there will be no more facts from me.

Please enjoy your day.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:52 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Can someone explain how it would be UNSAFE to drive with hazards on? I just don’t see what the risk is, even if someone thinks you’re stopped that means they won’t run into you.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Can someone explain how it would be UNSAFE to drive with hazards on? I just don’t see what the risk is, even if someone thinks you’re stopped that means they won’t run into you.
1. Hazard lights (flashers) on means your directionals don't work. If you change lanes it may not be clear to someone behind you. Also, if you turn them off to use your directionals, there isn't much of a time gap between turning them off and your directionals on, so it serves to confusing an already confusing situtation you have created by having hazards flashing.

2. Most drivers understand flashers to mean a stopped vehicle ahead. Depending upon the conditions they may feel the urgent need to get their moving vehicle into another lane so as not to smack the standing vehicle, thereby endangering someone else traveling behind them.

3. If hazards were a necessary safety mode for lighting a vehicle they would be attached to your headlight switch by the manufacturer and work in conjunction with them.

4. The law varies from state to state regarding their use while moving.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:32 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
1. Hazard lights (flashers) on means your directionals don't work. If you change lanes it may not be clear to someone behind you. Also, if you turn them off to use your directionals, there isn't much of a time gap between turning them off and your directionals on, so it serves to confusing an already confusing situtation you have created by having hazards flashing.

2. Most drivers understand flashers to mean a stopped vehicle ahead. Depending upon the conditions they may feel the urgent need to get their moving vehicle into another lane so as not to smack the standing vehicle, thereby endangering someone else traveling behind them.

3. If hazards were a necessary safety mode for lighting a vehicle they would be attached to your headlight switch by the manufacturer and work in conjunction with them.

4. The law varies from state to state regarding their use while moving.
1. If it's raining so heavily that you have your hazards on, you definitely should not be moving from lane to lane. The whole idea of using hazards in torrential downpours is to increase visibility to the people driving in front or behind you.

2. Not true. It used to be the case, but very few people use their hazards when pulled over on the side of the road. Again, we are only talking about using them in extremely heavy rain.

3. If that were the case, then your headlights would be wired to come on automatically every single time you use your windshield wipers. That's a safety mode and actually a law in many states that many people ignore.

The best part of people using them is that up ahead, if you see the hazards being turned off, you know you are almost out of the very worst of the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive