Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:02 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Just to vent/question. It seems to me a new trend that cars pull out from side roads onto main roads, without stopping at stop sign or just pulling out in front of oncoming traffic. I've been driving for a long time, but this trend seems to be picking up steam. As I drive to work/wherever, down an arterial road, vehicles will enter from housing/shopping areas without so much as a hesitation at stop sign, they just go. It's almost like they are saying, "it's my turn". Then I have to slow down, or even break hard, to accommodate for this impatient driver.
In my city there are traffic cams all over the place and they record these infractions. The fine is $250.
Police don't even have to be there.
You can go to court to fight it but that is very difficult since there is a video of you and your car crawling through a stop sign. Can't really dispute the evidence.

I am noticing more frequently that folks in a parking lot will pull through the spot they should stop in and go through to the next row placing their car head first along the opposite parking lane. I know there has been bylaw against it that has been in force since I took driving lessons in 1969.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 02:03 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
Stop signs are inefficient and unnecessary. Unless of course your goal is to raise revenue and give the police license to harass whomever they want.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I am noticing more frequently that folks in a parking lot will pull through the spot they should stop in and go through to the next row placing their car head first along the opposite parking lane. I know there has been bylaw against it that has been in force since I took driving lessons in 1969.

I challenge you to cite such a law.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:59 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
I once got a $140 ticket because I didnt come to a 100% stop at a stop sign and the intersection was clear, so that 1-2mph I came to must have made me a danger to society lol.

Ive almost been rear ended, had horns honked at me and even been flipped off for coming to a 100% stop at every stop sign I approach now.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:06 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Just to vent/question. It seems to me a new trend that cars pull out from side roads onto main roads, without stopping at stop sign or just pulling out in front of oncoming traffic. I've been driving for a long time, but this trend seems to be picking up steam. As I drive to work/wherever, down an arterial road, vehicles will enter from housing/shopping areas without so much as a hesitation at stop sign, they just go. It's almost like they are saying, "it's my turn". Then I have to slow down, or even break hard, to accommodate for this impatient driver.
It's true. A while back, I sat next to a busy intersection near our university. This was on a Sunday afternoon, so there wasn't any rush-hour traffic or a need to get anywhere fast. I counted 235 vehicles going through this 4-way stop intersection, at 15th & Agate Sts., during a one-hour period. Of these cars, not a single one came to a full stop. Half of them wouldn't even have qualified as California stops. Nine of the cars were city police vehicles.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It's true. A while back, I sat next to a busy intersection near our university. This was on a Sunday afternoon, so there wasn't any rush-hour traffic or a need to get anywhere fast. I counted 235 vehicles going through this 4-way stop intersection, at 15th & Agate Sts., during a one-hour period. Of these cars, not a single one came to a full stop. Half of them wouldn't even have qualified as California stops. Nine of the cars were city police vehicles.

How many accidents did you witness as a result?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:33 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
The first step is to identify the problem. The problem is failure to yield, not failure to stop. Example: you are driving along and a car approaches from the side street, 500 feet in front of you. The driver of that car sees you coming, so he rolls through the stop sign, turns in front of you and accelerates quickly to the speed limit, before you arrive at the intersection. He rolled through the stop sign, but you don't even have to slow because he is already at the speed limit when you catch up with him. Example 2: the same car approaches from the side street, 500 feet in front of you, but it's driven by a soccer mom with a cell phone on her shoulder. Being a good soccer mom, who is paying no attention to traffic she comes to a complete stop at the stop sign for five full second while she yells at the kids in the back seat. She can't see you because if she turned her head she would drop her cell phone. So she blindly pulls out infront of you. At this point you are right on top of her and have to brake hard to avoid a collision. Not only that, you saw the car roll through the stop sign. You knew he wasn't going to stop. But the soccer mom actually looks like she was going to yield to you, but then she pulls right in front of you, and that is the way accidents happen.

So to recap, step 1: identify the problem. The problem is failure to yield, not failure to stop. So save all the preachy BS about the importance of stopping at stop signs. The title of this thread should be, "Why don't drivers yield the right away when required".

Old 07-09-2018, 05:58 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The first step is to identify the problem. The problem is failure to yield, not failure to stop. Example: you are driving along and a car approaches from the side street, 500 feet in front of you. The driver of that car sees you coming, so he rolls through the stop sign, turns in front of you and accelerates quickly to the speed limit, before you arrive at the intersection. He rolled through the stop sign, but you don't even have to slow because he is already at the speed limit when you catch up with him. Example 2: the same car approaches from the side street, 500 feet in front of you, but it's driven by a soccer mom with a cell phone on her shoulder. Being a good soccer mom, who is paying no attention to traffic she comes to a complete stop at the stop sign for five full second while she yells at the kids in the back seat. She can't see you because if she turned her head she would drop her cell phone. So she blindly pulls out infront of you. At this point you are right on top of her and have to brake hard to avoid a collision. Not only that, you saw the car roll through the stop sign. You knew he wasn't going to stop. But the soccer mom actually looks like she was going to yield to you, but then she pulls right in front of you, and that is the way accidents happen.

So to recap, step 1: identify the problem. The problem is failure to yield, not failure to stop. So save all the preachy BS about the importance of stopping at stop signs. The title of this thread should be, "Why don't drivers yield the right away when required".
If someone is stabbing you with a knife and you yell stop do you mean for him to stab you slower before speeding up again? I come to a full and complete stop even when the road is obviously clear because I want to keep in the habit of stopping. If it is a habit to come to a full stop then you’re less likely to roll though a stop and either get a ticket or an accident. I do the same with turn signals. I use them even when there are no other vehicles around so I can stay in the habit of always using my turn signal. Heck, I even use the turn signal in parking lots.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If someone is stabbing you with a knife and you yell stop do you mean for him to stab you slower before speeding up again? I come to a full and complete stop even when the road is obviously clear because I want to keep in the habit of stopping. If it is a habit to come to a full stop then you’re less likely to roll though a stop and either get a ticket or an accident. I do the same with turn signals. I use them even when there are no other vehicles around so I can stay in the habit of always using my turn signal. Heck, I even use the turn signal in parking lots.

What an idiotic analogy. Getting stabbed is causing physical harm at any speed. A habit is something you do without thinking, which is not applicable to any part of driving. In fact, Cloudy illustrated in example 2 - the soccer mom who stopped out of habit but whose mind was not on driving.

Turn signals are useless 90% of the time. Halt the time they are misused and do more harm than good.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:18 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What an idiotic analogy. Getting stabbed is causing physical harm at any speed. A habit is something you do without thinking, which is not applicable to any part of driving. In fact, Cloudy illustrated in example 2 - the soccer mom who stopped out of habit but whose mind was not on driving.

Turn signals are useless 90% of the time. Halt the time they are misused and do more harm than good.
In the analogy stop means the same thing. You get in the habit of driving through a stop sign then you’re more likely to drive through into a crash. The habit works both ways. You get in the habit of rolling through the stop sign intersections. I am in the habit of coming to a full stop. I’d rather be in the habit of doing something correctly than in the habit of doing something that endangers the lives of others. As for turn signals, perhaps if those other people got into the habit of using them properly then there would be less accidents. Instead they are in the habit of never using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive