Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 12:16 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
This is what I do. Whether it's San Francisco, Milwaukee, Denver, or whatever, a universal rule is that speed limits are usually ignored because they are not set properly. **********Yes, I'm aware the limit is 50 when bumper to bumper traffic is going 70, but I just go with it. To do otherwise is create a traffic hazard when it's as busy as some of the roads are.
And I'm not only talking about on the major highways. Where I live, the New York City area, major secondary roads have close to uniform limits of 30 mph. New York City now has a 25 mph limit.Low limits allow politicians to take credit for taking "action" on highway safety, yet are at best ineffective or at worst harmful. In Westchester, someone got killed doing 100 mph on King Street, a local road. The speed limit was reduced from 40 to 35, either shortly before or after that tragedy. Does someone taking a two-lane (one each way) road really take the speed limit into account. Same with DiBlasio's reduction of the NYC limit from 30 to 25, in response to high-speed accidents. Motivated by stupidity? Or his thinking voters are stupid? I'm not sure. Limits should be between 40 and 50 on secondary roads, and 25 or 30 on true neighborhood streets where tricycles mix with cars.

The situation is equally absurd on highways. Back in the day, the LIE had a 60 mph limit in Nassau and 65 in Suffolk. The limits were never raised to prior limits after the "energy crisis" despite safer cars and better tires. Many roads had 60 mph limits, such as I-287 in Westchester, the Connecticut Turnpike, and similar semi-urban freeways, such as the parts of the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway not at 65. Those are still stuck at 55. Back in 1995 New York, lagging almost all other states, returned to a 65 mph limit. The new limit was applied only to a few roads. After 684 went back to 65 in 2004 the progress stopped.

Limits should be increased because we've invested huge amounts in safer (and more expensive) cars, and better highways. The low limits are a waste.

Reposting from my OP, Does Anyone Feel Speed Limits Are Too Low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 06:12 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I always thought those rectangle signs with numbers were just suggestions???
Correct.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:56 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
It's not my idea to drive at 1950's speed. Never said that. I rarely drive below the posted speed limit unless traffic conditions create it, or in certain areas such as schools, congestion, road work, etc.

Again, the signs are not outdated. The laws that are on the books are the ones that the signs are derived from. Or in the case of curves, exits, etc... those are based on engineers who create the road or have lot's of experience in that area. Or could be created due to multiple accidents in a certain area and the authorities believe a slower speed limit is needed for safety.

Fast cars are always colliding on a track. They are all going fast. In fact it's very rare to see a fast car hit a very slow car on a track. On a track, in the early stages of a race, if a faster car is on your rear, then I can see a strategy of yielding to the faster car until you can adjust your car to stay in front. But at the end of the race, the slower leading car would do everything it could to block if it meant a win.

To say you never see two fast cars collide is a ridiculous statement. It seems like you say that all wrecks are caused by people obeying the laws. Please show me the statistics on that.

The majority of deaths are not caused by police chases due to lack of attention. Where are you getting this nonsense?

Please show me where excessive speeding increases safety. Just one legitimate statistic.

Your comments are entertaining though.
Those signs ARE outdated because avg cars today have 2x+ the HP of cars in the 50s whhen 55mph seems very fast and suspensions could barely keep cars planted past 70mph. My minivan can outhandle muscle cars from the 60s and have the similar HP. That's just for getting groceries. Newer minivans now have 300HP and hit 0-60 in less than 7s secs.

Ever seen signs on an exit that says 15mph? Yet never seen a single car obey that sign.

If you're looking to disagree on statement simply because you can easily find examples to refute we can go on and on all day. In the real world, majority of collisions involves people doing stupid things. Fast cars going fast and not changing lanes have very little chance of colliding.

Collisions always happen to a slower and a faster car since they're going the same direction. 2 fast cars can only collide when one is going slower than the one behind it.

And wrecks can happen to anyone whether they follow or don't follow the law. The law is in your own hands.

You can be in the middle lane driving 55mph and suddenly I came from behind you and looses control and slams you from behind. Those accidents do happen and happens more frequent when theres no open spaces for cars to move through.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:51 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
And I'm not only talking about on the major highways. Where I live, the New York City area, major secondary roads have close to uniform limits of 30 mph. New York City now has a 25 mph limit.Low limits allow politicians to take credit for taking "action" on highway safety, yet are at best ineffective or at worst harmful. In Westchester, someone got killed doing 100 mph on King Street, a local road. The speed limit was reduced from 40 to 35, either shortly before or after that tragedy. Does someone taking a two-lane (one each way) road really take the speed limit into account. Same with DiBlasio's reduction of the NYC limit from 30 to 25, in response to high-speed accidents. Motivated by stupidity? Or his thinking voters are stupid? I'm not sure. Limits should be between 40 and 50 on secondary roads, and 25 or 30 on true neighborhood streets where tricycles mix with cars.

The situation is equally absurd on highways. Back in the day, the LIE had a 60 mph limit in Nassau and 65 in Suffolk. The limits were never raised to prior limits after the "energy crisis" despite safer cars and better tires. Many roads had 60 mph limits, such as I-287 in Westchester, the Connecticut Turnpike, and similar semi-urban freeways, such as the parts of the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway not at 65. Those are still stuck at 55. Back in 1995 New York, lagging almost all other states, returned to a 65 mph limit. The new limit was applied only to a few roads. After 684 went back to 65 in 2004 the progress stopped.

Limits should be increased because we've invested huge amounts in safer (and more expensive) cars, and better highways. The low limits are a waste.

Reposting from my OP, Does Anyone Feel Speed Limits Are Too Low?
That philosophy permeates our society. If a driver kills somebody at 100 mph, already a highly illegal speed, what good will it do to lower the speed limit from 40 to 35 mph? The safety ninnies allied with craven politicians respond this way again and again, and it only breeds disrespect for the law since nobody follows these low speed limits. It would be better IMO to severely punish drivers who are truly dangerous rather than make almost every driver an outlaw and impose flaccid punishments against people who aren't really doing anything dangerous along with dangerous drivers.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:39 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That philosophy permeates our society. If a driver kills somebody at 100 mph, already a highly illegal speed, what good will it do to lower the speed limit from 40 to 35 mph? The safety ninnies allied with craven politicians respond this way again and again, and it only breeds disrespect for the law since nobody follows these low speed limits. It would be better IMO to severely punish drivers who are truly dangerous rather than make almost every driver an outlaw and impose flaccid punishments against people who aren't really doing anything dangerous along with dangerous drivers.
I'm gonna be in court soon with a similar defense.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:47 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,941,358 times
I try to keep in under 10 over on the highway. Between work, kids, hobbies and social life it seems like a lot of people try to gain extra time by driving faster, but on a 30 mile drive they aren’t saving that much time by doing 85 mph instead of 65 mph.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
American Autobahn

Old 07-21-2018, 09:29 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
American Autobahn
There's a book by that name that I read.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:14 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I try to keep in under 10 over on the highway. Between work, kids, hobbies and social life it seems like a lot of people try to gain extra time by driving faster, but on a 30 mile drive they aren’t saving that much time by doing 85 mph instead of 65 mph.
They would save them 6.5 minutes per trip. If that was a one way commute, it would save them 13 minutes per day, 1 hours 5 minutes per week, or 56 hours per year. I don't know how valuable your time is, but that is like a free one week paid vacation per year to them. But maybe you have so much paid vacation time that you don't even care, about another week.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Five years later, and you're still using the same ridiculous assertion that someone can "force you" to go faster. As I pointed out to you years ago after you posted at that time that you'll drive whatever speed you want in whatever lane you want, I can't nor do I want to make you go faster, but you can indeed make others go slower. And I've learned over my lifetime that there are people who need to be able to have that sort of control over people.

You've done little more here than plaster a bunch of strawmen. I've already posted that I don't care what speed people go. I haven't seen anyone argue that you should have to go faster. You also imply that men speed out of some warped sense of "manhood." This is an example of female privilege. If I or another man tie one of your behaviors to the fact that you're a woman, a cacophony of outrage emerges with accusations of "misogyny." Stop being obnoxious.

I'm glad you've reformed your behavior over the past five years and no longer plug up the left lane.

You must have changed your screen name - can you link to the post that you're referencing?

Also, speaking of straw men - I have repeatedly, over years (when you were apparently reading) stated that I, personally, do not drive in the left lane except to pass or to exit left. Much more fun to let the speed addicts zoom by (and make it easier for the cops to see them) when I know that cops tend to hang out up ahead. But that does not fit in with what you WANT to believe that anyone that doesn't pander to your need to speed must drive slow in the left lane, so you conveniently ignore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive