Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 10:41 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've already stated that anyone who uses "revenue generation" as an excuse for their misbehavior as far as speed limits are concerned brands themselves as a person who simply cannot accept responsibility for the predictable consequences of their own actions and is therefore too emotionally immature to be in possession of either a driver's license or a motor vehicle. If only we could test for such emotional maturity (or lack thereof) when testing for driver's licenses.
So then please explain how a road that goes through 4 towns and doesn't change in terms of traffic density, housing, schools, etc, might have 4 different speed limits, if speed limits are based only on safety and an engineers scientific studies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 10:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Here is a Texas school revenue zone sign, 7:30 AM to 4PM, and no flashing lights. It's not even restricted only to school days. They can collect it on any weekday, even when school is not in session. And look at that. They add a cell phone prohibition for a second revenue stream. Apparently they couldn't collect enough revenue from speeders so they had to add something else to make it more profitable.

Ah, I see, right next to not only the Mertzon High School (where students are likely to be leaving in their cars for lunch, etc., throughout the day) but the School District offices. By the way, it very clearly says Mon-Fri right on the sign right under the speed.

Should have clarified that often those specific more high traffic all day areas will have longer school zone hours. Fortunately, adults are able to cope with such things for the 20-30 seconds it generally takes to get through such. And, for that matter, able to stay off their cell phones for an equal period of time.

Those who are NOT adult emotionally will throw hissy fits and cry revenue generation, just like when they were two years old, at having to slow down/put down the cell phone (two equally entitled attitudes).

Old 07-24-2018, 10:47 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Now hear this: If the topic of left-lane driving comes up again in this thread, the thread will be closed. That topic has been discussed previously, ad nauseam, and is off-limits. Also, it happens to be off-topic here, since it has no relevance to the opening post.

NO MORE POSTS RE: LEFT-LANE DRIVERS!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So then please explain how a road that goes through 4 towns and doesn't change in terms of traffic density, housing, schools, etc, might have 4 different speed limits, if speed limits are based only on safety and an engineers scientific studies?

Lots of reasons. The most common is that the road goes right through the heart of those towns, its a highway but with the town's streets crossing it, and there are far too many idjits who think that because it's a highway they should just speed right through it. In Texas, what I've usually seen in my half a century of driving here is 65 on the highway, drops to 55 (and is signed and, yes, they are visible if you are paying attention to your driving as you should be) as the town is approached, drops to 45 as you enter the town, maybe down to 40 as you go right through the heart of town if it goes right through the heart of downtown, then back up to 45, then 55, then back to 65. I have yet in all those years to have those signs not be visible, by the way, but people will still cry "revenue generation" when they choose to speed and get caught. Much easier than saying, yep, I did it, I got caught, and I'll accept my responsibility for the consequences and be glad those consequences were only to myself and not to someone else.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Lots of reasons. The most common is that the road goes right through the heart of those towns, its a highway but with the town's streets crossing it, and there are far too many idjits who think that because it's a highway they should just speed right through it. In Texas, what I've usually seen in my half a century of driving here is 65 on the highway, drops to 55 (and is signed and, yes, they are visible if you are paying attention to your driving as you should be) as the town is approached, drops to 45 as you enter the town, maybe down to 40 as you go right through the heart of town if it goes right through the heart of downtown, then back up to 45, then 55, then back to 65. I have yet in all those years to have those signs not be visible, by the way, but people will still cry "revenue generation" when they choose to speed and get caught. Much easier than saying, yep, I did it, I got caught, and I'll accept my responsibility for the consequences and be glad those consequences were only to myself and not to someone else.
I already stated a road that doesn’t change in regards to population or anything else. I told a story earlier about such a road, where in the one town it drops in, the cop tells you if you plead to a municipal offense you won’t get points. This town DOES generate a lot of revenue from this, it the population is no more dense than in the other towns. There are many rural roads where the population is low and the road does not pass through any town center, where the speed limits change from town to town as well. I didn’t cry about my ticket on the first road, as I said I was happy not to get points. I accepted that I got no points because the town is smart enough to generate revenue by getting people to plead to a no points municipal ticket so they get all the money vs sharing with the state. Everyone leaves happy. Again, no tears here, just stating my story.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:12 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I think MOST drivers (my estimate is about 90%) think that "speed limit" means the MINIMUM speed you should be going on the interstate. For those of you reading this who don't know..its the MAXIMUM speed you should be driving.

Interstate drivers routinely drive 70 80 mph's where the speed limit causes for 55...and if your going 55, they actually zoom past you upset because your not going 80.

Do you think that most drivers know what SPEED LIMIT means?
Eh. Words meanings change over time.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:57 PM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Today I passed another construction zone and yep, you guessed it, police were parked off the side of the road to make sure idiot dummies stopped speeding through it.

It's sad that it takes parked police officers to get the public to respect and abide by these construction zone sign speed limit sign.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Today I passed another construction zone and yep, you guessed it, police were parked off the side of the road to make sure idiot dummies stopped speeding through it.

It's sad that it takes parked police officers to get the public to respect and abide by these construction zone sign speed limit sign.
They aren't actually there to give tickets. There are always police there when they do construction projects on major roadways, for general safety. Usually through those zones traffic is backed up and crawling, no one is zooming through.

Again, most of us in this thread said we go 5-10 over the limit, which is what MOST people do. You guys like to keep making us out to be Mario Andretti going 90 or 100, those people are very much the exception to the rule. Just because I drive at 60 on a 50 on the low traffic road I take to work does not mean I don't slow down for school zones or construction zones or people crossing the street or anything else. I'm 56 years old, haven't had a ticket in about 30 years, and had one fender bender, when I was pulling out of a gas station turning left and was foolish enough to let a woman wave me out, not seeing a small car behind her in the next lane over. I'm not a teenager drag racing. Again, the vast majority of people go 5-10 mph over, with maybe 20% going faster and 20% going slower to varying degrees.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,205,739 times
I-41 between Oshkosh and Green Bay is the worst! Everybody flying at 85 - 90+ mph even in heavy bumper to bumper traffic. Never seen anything like it anywhere. Totally crazy.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:29 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusheightsRedLightScam View Post
If I wish to go slower then 65-70 MPH, I put my vehicle in behind a semi-truck. Let the other drivers rack up the speeding tickets. 80 MPH in a 65 MPH zone is two points on your DL record and three years of incresed insurance rates, as you may know.
Not in California... and yes, I unfortunately know this from experience. Been a while since I got a ticket (I drive a bit slower these days), but I got at least two for going slightly over 80, and they were simple one-point tickets. ONE time I got pulled over going 92mph on a steep downgrade, and the officer put 84 on the ticket to "cut me a break." So I'm guessing 85 is the magic number where it becomes a two-pointer.

Every state has their own speed limit laws, as I think it's already been proven here. For example, the fact that going over 80 in Virginia can be charged as reckless driving. I don't know any other state where that's true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive