Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 11:02 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,623,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
LOL, the police don't collect that data on themselves. But I can tell you that when I was working in the city, in one two year period I personally can distinctly remember seeing four separate serious traffic accidents where police cruisers crashed into the back of cars stopped at red lights. No evidence of a police chase or anything like that. Just police cruisers without flashing lights crashed into the back of innocent motorists. I believe that was about the time they started putting computers into police cars next to the driver's seats. I can think of only two possible explanations for that. 1. The cops were all terrible drivers. Which is something you wouldn't expect of trained professionals, or 2. They were distracted by the tech in their cars.

Anyway the point is that if texting and driving is really dangerous, which I'm not arguing it is not, then it is just as dangerous for cops to do it. If they really cared about safety, they would stop doing it themselves. But that will never, never happen, because they are revenue collection agents. Everything they do is about maximizing the amount of revenue they collect.

Another example, if cops really believed that speeding is dangerous, they would park their cars out in the open, where everybody on the road would see them and immediately slow down. But slowing drivers down is not their true goal. They want drivers to speed, so they can collect revenue from it. So they hide under a bridge where nobody can see them, and then they can pick out whatever car they want to collecting revenue from. Everything cops do is to collect the most revenue possible in the shortest amount of time.

If "speeding" is really dangerous, why can I now legally and safely drive 70+ on roads where the speed limit used to be 55?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 01:57 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
If "speeding" is really dangerous, why can I now legally and safely drive 70+ on roads where the speed limit used to be 55?
Just don't do it on a long holiday weekend when the cops all get overtime, to keep the roads "safe" for the holiday. After everybody goes back to work, then you can go back to driving 70+. Because we only have to keep the roads "safe" on the holidays. After that it doesn't matter.

Law enforcement is just a business, like any other business. Traffic cops work extra hours on holidays, for the same reason that retail workers work extra hours during the holiday shopping season. More customers shopping, more motorists driving. More holiday sales, more holiday traffic fines to be collected. It just business.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:36 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
I heard a report on the news this morning, that Pennsylvania is going to encourage our law enforcement, all over the state, to enforce more traffic violations....

As if they don't have enough to do, right?

And then I thought, why, why do people actually think and believe they are above the law....and speed, roll thru stop signs, go thru traffic lights, and oh, by the way, those white lines on the road, in case you don't know, are to remind you to stop there, so if a big vehicle has to turn, they can do so, without blocking traffic. We shouldn't have to pay grown adults to pay attention to traffic laws and obey speeds? Why????? What's the problem? Why are you passing on the right, or sneaking up in the right lane, when traffic is grid locked? And who said, it was ok when coming up on a construction zone, it's ok to pass everyone, so you are able to beat everyone else in line, actually those are the people who are causing gridlocks. Lord, grown adults need to be policed...and they have children no less?

It really eats me up the way so many people, grown adults mind you, have to be policed so that they obey traffic laws....
Is it any wonder why there are so many accidents and people are killed.

(Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine and why our insurances keep going up)

Oh and when you get into the car, put your GD cell phone in your purse and leave it there while your driving. Idiots!!!

Old 08-02-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Because that is the speed limit....you are supposed to OBEY the speed limits that are generously posted on signs through out every road and highway. You know what your doing don't you...your setting a very bad example for your kids...telling them, silently, that it's ok to break laws, and it's not.

The faster you go, the less chance you or the people you hit have for survival....its for your own safety and every one else out there...why is that so hard to understand?

Old 08-02-2018, 04:56 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,587 times
Quote:
The number one cause of motor vehicle accidents: excessive speed. Period. Go on YouTube and search for speeding accidents. You can see dozens of examples of people driving like bats out of hell, and when the situation goes sideways, people die.

Not complicated.

--

Old 08-02-2018, 06:56 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
The number one cause of motor vehicle accidents: excessive speed. Period. Go on YouTube and search for speeding accidents. You can see dozens of examples of people driving like bats out of hell, and when the situation goes sideways, people die.

Not complicated.

--
Well if a YouTube video says so, it must be true. Who needs scientific research, when you have YouTube. FYI Distracted driving is the number one cause of motor vehicle accidents. Speed is number two and DUI is number three. Also speed is generally driving too fast for conditions, not driving over the speed limit.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 08-02-2018 at 07:56 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 07:50 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I heard a report on the news this morning, that Pennsylvania is going to encourage our law enforcement, all over the state, to enforce more traffic violations....

And then I thought, why, why do people actually think and believe they are above the law....and speed, roll thru stop signs, go thru traffic lights, and oh, by the way, those white lines on the road, in case you don't know, are to remind you to stop there, so if a big vehicle has to turn, they can do so, without blocking traffic. We shouldn't have to pay grown adults to pay attention to traffic laws and obey speeds? Why????? What's the problem? Why are you passing on the right, or sneaking up in the right lane, when traffic is grid locked? And who said, it was ok when coming up on a construction zone, it's ok to pass everyone, so you are able to beat everyone else in line, actually those are the people who are causing gridlocks. Lord, grown adults need to be policed...and they have children no less?

It really eats me up the way so many people, grown adults mind you, have to be policed so that they obey traffic laws....

Oh and when you get into the car, put your GD cell phone in your purse and leave it there while your driving. Idiots!!!
Or the state needs revenue..

Old 08-02-2018, 08:28 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,843 times
Quote:
Because that is the speed limit....you are supposed to OBEY the speed limits that are generously posted on signs through out every road and highway. You know what your doing don't you...your setting a very bad example for your kids...telling them, silently, that it's ok to break laws, and it's not.

The faster you go, the less chance you or the people you hit have for survival....its for your own safety and every one else out there...why is that so hard to understand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post

Not complicated.

--

Guys, he's not talking about speeding. He's talking about how the interstate changed speed limits from 55 to 70-75 on the same stretch of roads. Why is it safe to go that speed now and it wasn't when it was 55? And why might the speed limit change as the interstate crosses state lines, even though the pavement, limited access, and roadway in general stays the same? it's not because the road suddenly got more or less safe, but that the state set a revenue generation limit that they want to maintain.

Oh, and only 3% of people get into accidents each year, and MOST accidents occur at low/city speeds. Here's a little tidbit for you: any accident involving rear ending someone is listed as "excessive speed" even if they are going the speed limit or below! It just means that they were going too fast to stop in time for whatever reason. But NOT that they were speeding. The problem is that speed is often a factor in accidents, but rarely the CAUSE of the accident.

80% of drivers speed according to traffic studies. 3% of drivers get into accidents according to the NHTSA accident reporting system, most at low speeds. Let that sink in for a bit. If speeding caused accidents, there would be 160 million accidents each year... (80% of 200 million drivers)

Old 08-02-2018, 10:03 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:

I find this ironic, because the police actually do the same things. They blow by those of us doing 75 in a 65 even when not on an emergency call. I've been behind cops even on many rural roads where we are whooshing along at a nice speed, well above the limit. I've been tailgated by cops, and I never know what to do. I feel like it's a trick so I'm afraid to go faster if they are behind me, but then there's a passing zone and they don't pass me either, so I don't know what's up with that.

I think most people pick and choose the laws they think it's okay. In my own personal observations, it seems to me the people who go slowest also for some reason seem to never use turn signals. In NJ, the law is "Wipers On, Headlights On" but I see many cars going very slowly in hard rain and snow, but they don't have their headlights on and look like ghost cars and you can't see them. Others drive in the left lane even going exactly the speed limit, despite signs saying "NJ LAW, KEEP RIGHT PASS LEFT". They decided that law isn't important, but maintaining the speed limit is. Others disagree like me and think that person is more dangerous than someone going 10MPH over.

I agree about the construction zone lane ending. I always thought the sign should be more forceful as in "MOVE OVER NOW". But there are lots of people on this forum who believe it's safer to use both lanes and "zipper" together into one at the end. There have been several threads where that's been argued. I don't believe it is breaking the law to do that however.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
ocnjgirl
In NJ, the law is "Wipers On, Headlights On" but I see many cars going very slowly in hard rain and snow, but they don't have their headlights on and look like ghost cars and you can't see them.
yeah, this really annoys one of my girlfriends....not using headlights. I pass two drivers in the mornings, who for some reason don't have theirs on, and it's not light yet...?

Quote:
I agree about the construction zone lane ending. I always thought the sign should be more forceful as in "MOVE OVER NOW". But there are lots of people on this forum who believe it's safer to use both lanes and "zipper" together into one at the end. There have been several threads where that's been argued. I don't believe it is breaking the law to do that however.
Well, I worked construction, and we had to put up the traffic patterns...and was told by a state inspector, that if it wouldn't be for those cars trying to butt in the lane, there wouldn't be gridlock? He said, the traffic would move along much quicker, and that is why you see people not let them in...and of course those who do it would disagree....we used to have cops on the job, simply make a presence to slow drivers down thru the construction zones, b/c we had several accidents....one of our workers was hit and could never work again, his injuries were very bad.

Another time, a tri-axel didn't slow down and plowed into the back of a van, killing everyone. Awful....don't know if I could live with that? All because, he wasn't paying attention. Accidents happen, of course, but now a days with all the distractions, and speeding, disobeying traffic lights, there are indeed more and more accidents. Sad....it only takes one second to destroy the lives of others in a very negative way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive