Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 05:19 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
So you are okay with your taxes going up even more to pay for two officers in each vehicle? Gotcha.
I sure would support that. It would reduce my chances of getting a ticket by 50%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 05:29 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes here too. I was recently complaining about this to my bf. The middle lane has become the new slow lane.
I have also taken note that school buses (almost guaranteed to be the slowest members in traffic) often do not "keep right" as the rest of us are advised to do.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
55 was artificially low in 1974.
Wasn't that around the time Detroit got neutered because of the EPA?

Old 07-30-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
So is making an error at 55.
Going 80 was the error made at 55

Old 07-31-2018, 03:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
So you are okay with your taxes going up even more to pay for two officers in each vehicle? Gotcha.

No, he just wants to keep on branding himself by claiming revenue generation in order to throw responsibility for any consequences of his own decision to violate the speed limit law onto someone, ANYONE, else.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:38 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If the cops really truly cared about safety, rather then being hypocrites, they would set an example by requiring two cops in every car. One to drive and one to operate the tech. But we all know that what they really care about is filling their ticket quotas. Two cops in two cars can collect twice as much revenue as two cops in one car. Revenue comes first, safety second.
Strawman argument. How many police wreck due to them looking at their tech? Can you provide some data to support your argument?

Having two cops in one car is safety for the officers for when they get a call for a potential violent situation. They could use more of that, but there are not enough police officers out there. Many municipalities can't afford to hire more officers or are having a hard time hiring quality officers with the low unemployment and poor pay/dangerous job. Plus as you can see from your posts and others, police officers get no respect, even the ones who are risking their life to save yours.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:28 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Strawman argument. How many police wreck due to them looking at their tech? Can you provide some data to support your argument?

Having two cops in one car is safety for the officers for when they get a call for a potential violent situation. They could use more of that, but there are not enough police officers out there. Many municipalities can't afford to hire more officers or are having a hard time hiring quality officers with the low unemployment and poor pay/dangerous job. Plus as you can see from your posts and others, police officers get no respect, even the ones who are risking their life to save yours.
How is it a straw man? It points out the hypocrisy of it all and your response is basically (1) I want to see data (try Google) and (2) cities can not afford additional officers.

Neither addresses the point

Old 08-01-2018, 08:02 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:

LOL, the police don't collect that data on themselves. But I can tell you that when I was working in the city, in one two year period I personally can distinctly remember seeing four separate serious traffic accidents where police cruisers crashed into the back of cars stopped at red lights. No evidence of a police chase or anything like that. Just police cruisers without flashing lights crashed into the back of innocent motorists. I believe that was about the time they started putting computers into police cars next to the driver's seats. I can think of only two possible explanations for that. 1. The cops were all terrible drivers. Which is something you wouldn't expect of trained professionals, or 2. They were distracted by the tech in their cars.

Anyway the point is that if texting and driving is really dangerous, which I'm not arguing it is not, then it is just as dangerous for cops to do it. If they really cared about safety, they would stop doing it themselves. But that will never, never happen, because they are revenue collection agents. Everything they do is about maximizing the amount of revenue they collect.

Another example, if cops really believed that speeding is dangerous, they would park their cars out in the open, where everybody on the road would see them and immediately slow down. But slowing drivers down is not their true goal. They want drivers to speed, so they can collect revenue from it. So they hide under a bridge where nobody can see them, and then they can pick out whatever car they want to collecting revenue from. Everything cops do is to collect the most revenue possible in the shortest amount of time.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:55 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Wasn't that around the time Detroit got neutered because of the EPA?
Every car manufacturer was neutered by the EPA.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:57 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Quote:

Municipalities have no problem finding money for the latest radar and laser guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive