Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 08:40 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Big mistake and I doubt Trump will extend a bailout to GM like Duhbya and Obama did. Self driving cars and electric cars are not wanted and not cost effective, respectively.
Instead of dropping models they should drop upper level management and their union negotiators.
Yeah, and their entire "PR" team which must consist of a group of garden slugs and perhaps a goldfish or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 08:40 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai/Kia still seem to be doing okay selling sedans. It’s the “big 3” sedans people don’t seem to want.
While this may be true(I don’t keep up with the numbers since I retired), I’ve been told that there is some serious belt tightening taking place at Honda right now. Overtime has been slashed, projects delayed, etc. When you are constantly designing and doing the engineering work on vehicles that are two and four years out, in times of slow sales a lot of care must be taken to ensure design and engineering have the necessary funds.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:44 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
IMO this is a brilliant move by GM! In 18-24 months when we are in the midst of a great recession businesses will be looking to shed costs just as GM is doing.. they are getting out in front of the curve!

In fact every industry tied and supported primarily through credit markets and the issuance of loans is going to implode when the credit markets seize up. This will make GM a smaller more nimble company to do battle in key areas and keep the company alive.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:48 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I haven't seen a commercial for Impalas in YEARS, the commercials are always for Malibus, crossovers, SUV's and trucks.

It's like they decided years ago that they were dumping the Impala.....and they do, in fact, make these kinds of decisions long before the general public gets wind of it.
Come to think of it, I am mixing up the Impala with the Malibu. Kinds says a lot about the GM styling. And what's up with killing the CT6? It's the best looking Cadillac out there. I was seriously thinking of stepping up from a Lexus.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:50 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
GM should have invested in CVTs while they had the chance. LMAO

Old 11-26-2018, 10:02 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
BMW has had this issue, haven't paid much attention to Audi or Mercedes' sales.
I don't think so. They all sell SUVs but their sedan segments seem to be thriving. Lexus sedans are doing fine. I have one. Look around any. parking lot. There are plenty of sedans still around. Fusion sold 16,000 in October. Sonata sold 8000 an dyet nobody is talking about killing the Sonata. And get this. Legacy sold 2700 and yet all we hear is how Subaru is taking over the world.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
On autoblog I saw listed the Chevy Cruze, Impala, Volt, Buick Lacrosse, Cadillac CT6 and XTS to end production.
All those cars are loss leaders that's why. GM can't make any passenger car that's reliable and desirable.

People rather buy Japanese when it comes to passenger cars and SUV/Trucks is where GM can be competitive.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:34 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Not really anything which is why the CT6 and Impala would be reasonably expected to be posting higher volumes if a reasonable demand currently exists for these vehicles.

I think the new Blazer will be a major hit for GM.

The Silverado from what I have noticed doesn't appear to be the raging success that was hoped for unless production just isn't up to speed yet.

"In the first nine months of 2018, U.S. sales of the Volt fell 15.9 percent to 12,664 units, compared with a year earlier. During the same period:

• Cruze sales fell 26.5 percent to 109,662.

• Impala sales declined 13.4 percent to 43,952.

• CT6 sales fell 10.6 percent to 7,240.

• XTS sales rose 15.9 percent to 12,664.

• LaCrosse sales fell 14.2 percent to 13,409.

Altogether, during the first nine months of the year GM sold 199,591 units of the vehicles to be discontinued.
That's less than half of the Chevy Silverado, GM's most popular model."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...la/2114114002/

Old 11-27-2018, 02:37 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't think so. They all sell SUVs but their sedan segments seem to be thriving. Lexus sedans are doing fine. I have one. Look around any. parking lot. There are plenty of sedans still around. Fusion sold 16,000 in October. Sonata sold 8000 an dyet nobody is talking about killing the Sonata. And get this. Legacy sold 2700 and yet all we hear is how Subaru is taking over the world.
No, Lexus is sucking as well ....https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-is-an...-be-killed-off
So is Subaru. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tor...again-2018/amp

You might see sedans in the parking lot, but those were purchased in better times (and you can also get them for nothing brand new now). As people upgrade, they buy more and more CUV’s and more sedan sales shrink which results in more getting killed off and less options for the consumer.
This trend started with the 2 door coupes a few years ago.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:14 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
No, Lexus is sucking as well ....https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-is-an...-be-killed-off
So is Subaru. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tor...again-2018/amp

You might see sedans in the parking lot, but those were purchased in better times (and you can also get them for nothing brand new now). As people upgrade, they buy more and more CUV’s and more sedan sales shrink which results in more getting killed off and less options for the consumer.
This trend started with the 2 door coupes a few years ago.
You are correct everyone thinks just because they see allot of sedans at a mall parking lot that they are selling very well. What they fail to realize is those sedans are not new but a couple years old. New sedans are not selling period large SUVs and CUV’s and pickups are the big sellers now and have been, hell the F150 is the best selling vehicle in the country. People think they know what is selling better than the automakers who make them i laugh when i see these people on here thinking they know a automaker business better than they do. All this boohooing on how the impala is such a great car well if everyone bought one then they wouldn’t be getting rid of it, it’s not until GM decided to get rid of it then people are coming out and saying it’s a great car. Then we’re we’re all these people at before GM decided to axe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive