Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:31 PM

496 posts, read 446,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You should get a vehicle with stop/start adaptive cruise control. The old fashioned maintain-one-speed cruise control is pretty much useless.
Hmm I forgot cruise, but when I drove back roads a lot, or at night on highways with no traffic it was nice. These days I don't use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 11:06 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
Sunroof. I never open it and I keep the shade pulled shut. It might as well not exist.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think faux roof rails are one of them. Completely useless for most drivers.
While they can add a touch of style to an SUV, they have no other use. On top of it, they aren’t cheap either. They should be added if necessary.
Lane change assist is another one, in my opinion. I always turn it off and I am on a hwy a lot.
Or huge key fobs. Who needs that bulky stuff?
They are not faux roof rails, they are fully functional. They sometimes not come with the crossbars and have to add it for them to function.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:53 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
They are not faux roof rails, they are fully functional. They sometimes not come with the crossbars and have to add it for them to function.
Right, but by saying they are useless, I meant most drivers don't need or use them. They should be optional like tow bar.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:44 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Moon roof. We've opened it once, even keep the shade closed all the time.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:00 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Hand brake. In both stick and auto, I can't recall ever using it, except in highly unusual situations. But there are times when they ere essential.

I bought a used Honda and didn't know about the radio codes. Unless the previous owner has written down the codes and told you where, it makes it possible for only the thief, but not the owner, to reprogram the radio.

And then there is the hidden reset button for the fuel pump that you have to know about and find if somebody nudges your bumper while parking.

Those last two go beyond useless, into infuriating.

Oh wait theres another. There is the automatic load stabilizer under the cargo deck of the Olds station wagon, that readjusts every time you roll over, if trying to sleep in the car. The only way to disable it through the same fuse as the radio.

Did I mention my friends Honda Fit? He reached in through the window to start it, and the empty seat sensor set off the theft alarm, and it took five minutes reading the manual to turn it off.

Last edited by cebuan; 12-16-2018 at 01:28 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 04:03 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
This is the most random/least useful thread on CD.
Not.

Just had a relative purchase a top of the line Honda CRV with all of those high tech "gadgets".

An older couple. Brought up with cars with crank windows, key in door to lock, etc.

One by one on this new top of the line Honda CRV -

each one of the gadgets is being turned off. Most a trip to dealer to get turned off.

So they pay high dollars for top of the line vehicle AND turn off most/all of the safety features.

Why didn't they buy the base model - save a few thousand dollars - and get what they use?

Old 12-16-2018, 05:52 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
volvo s80's have a button that when pressed the rear headrests go down. -- anyone know why they do that (visability) ?
also volvos have one bright rear tail light on the left side. according to their website, it be foggy in switzerland so trailing cars can see you. i use it to **** off drivers behind me who honk.

also:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyfraud.../fake_exhaust/

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
the One most Useless?

sunroof/moonroof/whatever.
during the day, it allows too much light which drowns out digital readouts,
and at night, it offers no advantage over a solid roof in terms of cabin visibility.

however, a "car guy" told me that the newer sunroofs are more solid
and stable and protective than any of the newer solid "non-sun" roofs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Sunroof. I never open it and I keep the shade pulled shut. It might as well not exist.
heat rises, its nice as a vent.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 12-16-2018 at 06:30 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 07:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Most useless is that eco light. I have them all turned off on my vehicles.
You mean Eco mode on your car? It's not just a light.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:33 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
I don't use the heated seats. And unless I'm outside working at some sort of event and freezing, I probably wouldn't.

I *do* love the heated mirrors. Scraping mirrors is a royal pain. And I'm so glad to have a sunroof again after 15 years of not having one.

The dumbest car is the 3 rear headrests. They got pulled out the first month and will live in the house for as long as I own the car. That's all I could see in the rearview mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive