Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 11:00 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
  1. In Eureka, it is illegal to use the road as a bed.
  2. In Chico, you are not allowed to plant rutabagas (or any garden) on the road.
  3. Throughout California, you cannot shoot any game (wildlife) from a moving vehicle, unless it’s a whale.
  4. In Glendale, you can’t jump from (or into) a car in motion.
  5. In Hermosa Beach, it is illegal to spill your margarita on the street.
  6. In Arcadia, peacocks have the right-of-way to cross the road.
  7. In Temecula, ducks have the right-of-way when crossing Rancho California St.
  8. Throughout the state, women are not allowed to drive in a house coat.
  9. In Cathedral City, you are not allowed to sleep in a parked vehicle.
  10. In Downey, you can’t wash your vehicle in the street.
  11. In Long Beach, cars are the only item you can have in your garage.
  12. Throughout California, autonomous vehicles (without drivers) must not exceed 60 mph.
  13. In Norco, noise from your vehicle’s sound system cannot be heard outside the car.
  14. In Redlands, any motor vehicle driven on the city streets must have a man with a lantern walking ahead of it.
  15. In San Francisco, it is illegal to wipe your car with used underwear

Would it shock you if there was a #16 on there that said all vehicles must have a driver and passenger seat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Again why are you bringing up pointless laws? And what do these stupid laws (which btw all the states have). All you’ve proven is you can google some of obscure laws. Whooptie doo. Still haven’t proven me wrong no matter how many other obscure laws you post.

But just to prove a point
For example

In Arizona, it is illegal for cowboys to walk through a hotel lobby wearing their spurs.
In South Carolina, it is legal for adult males to discharge firearms when approaching an intersection in a non-horse vehicle to warn oncoming horse traffic.
A misworded ordinance in Wolf Point, Montana: “No horse shall be allowed in public without its owner wearing a halter.”
In South Carolina, no horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants.
In Raton, New Mexico, it is illegal for a woman to ride horseback down a public street with a kimono on.
In Omega, New Mexico, every woman must “be found to be wearing a corset” when riding a horse in public! A doctor is required to inspect each woman to make sure that she is complying with the law.
Pennsylvania law states: “Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass. If the horses appear skittish, the motorist must take his car apart, piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest bushes.”
In the state of Queensland, Australia, it is still constitutional law that all pubs (hotel/bar) must have a railing outside for patrons to tie up their horse.
Pattonsburg, Missouri, Revised Ordinances, 1884: “No person shall hallo, shout, bawl, scream, use profane language, dance, sing, whoop, quarrel, or make any unusual noise or sound in such manner as to disturb a horse.”
Abilene, Kansas, City Ordinance 349 declares: “Any person who shall in the city of Abilene shoot at a horse with any concealed or unconcealed bean snapper or like article, shall upon conviction, be fined.”
Marshalltown, Iowa, it is against the law for a horse to eat a fire hydrant.
In Maysville West Virginia, the law says anyone meeting a horse and buggy on the road must bow from the waist.
In Hartsville, Illinois, you can be arrested for riding an ugly horse.

So there are s9me idiotic laws. None have anythingto do with not having a passenger seat. None of the laws you quoted have anything to do with the subject matter. You’re trying to bring up useless pointless laws which dont mean crap to the subject on hand. For what? To insinuate that there may be some law making removing seats illegal? Well go find it and prove me wrong.

You need seats if you have human occupants. If you dont have human occupants you don’t need seats in a car. That’s why they sell cargo vans with no seats. If you dont have passengers you can remove that seat also.
Mail trucks have only one seat. So do some delivery trucks.
Honestly, you two either need to get a ruler or a hotel room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 06:05 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
and post the video.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:49 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
If you buy a brand new Dodge demon, it comes with a driver's seat only. The passenger seat and rear seat are optional.

The only laws i'm aware of come with regards to the airbags. They fall under federal laws, It's illegal to disable them unless you can prove a medical reason and apply for a waiver. This means disabling the dash-airbag, or any seat-mounted airbags (unsure if 1998 has side curtain bags). This also sets you, or anyone who does it, up for liability. If you trade in the car, and the airbag fails to deploy and it was found to be tampered with, you could be in some hot water. Long story short, it's not worth it and why you probably won't find a shop willing to do it for you at all...I know I wouldn't touch this.

Now, it is done all the time. Many people I know remove factory seats to install racing seats in cars driven off road. You can't just unplug an airbag as it disables the entire system. The airbag's are bypassed with resistor simulators that mimic the resistance across the airbags internal electrical components. It's important to note that this value changes between cars and getting it wrong could render the system inoperable, so again...this is why many shops don't do it.

Removing the seat itself is easy. 4 bolts and it comes out. Might be one electrical connector if it's a power seat. The airbag part is tricky. You'd have to pull the bag out, measure resistance on the bag (or find a published value) and fabricate a plug that contains the right value, and then hope the airbag actually still works when you are done.

I would either fabricate a bed for the dog to lay in the footwell (depending on size) or remove the seat just to give the dog a path to the rear seat which may be a safer option if the airbag was not able to be disabled.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 01-03-2019 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Thanks, BostonMike7. I called the shop yesterday and the technician said that disabling the airbag would be a very complicated procedure involving the computer and ensuring that the driver airbag would still work. He also said it might be illegal, even without a passenger seat -- as I might want the seat re-installed someday and that person might not fix the airbag at that time.

Someone else told me that airbags should be inspected and maintained every 8-10 years and, after 21 years, my airbags might not even work anymore.

I've had the back seat in the down position for all these 21 years. I tried to get it back up myself but no luck. I'll ask the shop if they can manage to get it back up.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:39 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Someone else told me that airbags should be inspected and maintained every 8-10 years and, after 21 years, my airbags might not even work anymore.
That typically applies to airbags from the late 80's and early 90's. Once airbags became mandatory (late 90's) they were considered to last the life of the vehicle. I'm sure your '98's airbags will work fine but hopefully you never find out.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/d...gs-expire.html

I've messed around with some early 90's airbags having some fun in a controlled manner. They all went off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive