Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 02:31 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The EyeSight lane crossing alarm on my Outback conclusively tells me that I can’t have my eyes on my iPhone and stay centered in the lane. I don’t think a taco would be a problem.
But that car isn't a stick is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 02:32 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,877,055 times
Is this a fake question? Tell me it's a fake question. You can hear it and feel it when it's time to shift. I hear a stick shift is a built in anti theft device. With all the video games young people have grown up playing, it shouldn't be hard to master shifting a car.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:35 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,877,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's worse than that. There's also the high beam switch down there on older cars and occasionally the emergency brake pedal. Five things to control with your feet.

I recall back in the day being able to drive a manual transmission, smoke a cigarette, roll a controlled substance, and not spill my beer. My car had a CB radio. I didn't have power steering or power brakes. It was crank windows and I had to use a key to open the door.

Driving a car with no synchromesh actually took a bit of skill.

I wouldn't mind having the high beam switch back down there. It was very convenient.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
I don’t see how you can possibly drive a manual safely on a highway with tons of traffic (rush hour)
Do you need to watch your feet to see if they are on the acceraltor or brake petals?. Do you have to take your eyes off the road to be able to signal?

Old 04-16-2019, 02:45 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Learn to drive a stick on somebody else's car. My dad offered to sell me the truck my brother and I learned on, but I declined.

Once you've learned, it become automatic and isn't that big a deal. I only owned manual transmissions for nearly 30 years, but switched to automatic a few years ago. My right hand and left foot are still wondering what happened.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:48 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
I learned on a stick. I have driven in all kinds of traffic and conditions. Not hard.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:49 PM

787 posts, read 781,765 times
I was the same way when I saw my dad and mom drive stick when I was growing up. How do they do it?

I thought riding a bike was the hardest thing when I was a kid. Then I got on and with practice learned. After I got comfortable riding I pretty much lived on my bike all throughout my childhood.

Same thing with driving stick. You just need practice. The hardest part is getting the car to move from a standstill. You can find the point where the car wants gas by slowly releasing the clutch while the car is on flat ground. You'll feel the car start to lurch forward. That is the point when you give it gas. Once you get this down shifting is easy and fun.

Then after a few months you don't even think about it. Just like when you learned how to ride a bike.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:14 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
That is why you have a tachometer.

Driving a manual is fun in the right situation like on a curvy mountain road. In bumper to bumper traffic, not so much.
This is the most succinct and truthful statement I've ever read describing the main benefit and drawback of manual transmissions.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:38 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
It may be true that most young people (actually, most people, in general) did not learn how to drive manuals like the rest of us can but it's disrespectful, condescending, and ignorant to disparage or belittle them about it.

The truth be told, it is a skill that becomes more obsolete and unnecessary every day, with a few exceptions.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:39 PM

434 posts, read 1,041,593 times
The US definitely love their automatic, it has been here a very long time, from the 30s I believe. The 50s many cars had automatic transmissions in the US. Sometime in the 70s or 80s, non luxury brands like Ford, Chevy, and Dodge stopped offering a manual option on some of their models. By the 2000s many or most American cars didn't have an option for a manual transmission. When Americans go to the dealership to buy a new car, they are buying automatic, and this has been happening for decades.

With high demand for automatic transmissions, automakers for the US market continue to offer less manual transmission cars. Automatic transmissions were made for luxury and once the middle class grew and dealerships realized Americans were willing to pay extra for automatic, it was downhill for manual transmissions in the US(and its catching on to the rest of the world too). Can you buy a new Ford truck in a manual or other pickups? Not Ford I believe, some of the others offer it. Even commercial trucks, Class C, B, and A are dropping manual.

Its not due to safety(its silly to think manual makes driving unsafe), with the history of automatic transmission in the US grew a population of people who can't drive manual or preferred automatic. OP, driving manual offers a better driving experience than automatic, its not a lot work at all, and its definitely not unsafe. Even in traffic its really not too bad, its more your clutch that is feeling the pain due to premature wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive