Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 10:13 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual. How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on steering wheel? It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual?
It safer in the UK where you steer with your right hand, whilst changing gear with your left.

The main difference is in relation to having a clutch pedal and having to know how to change from gears 1 to 5 and finding reverse.

A lot of cars these days are automatic in the UK and Europe, especially more expensive models.

I learnt to drive on a manual, so it's second nature to me, however it might be more problematic if you have never driven amything but an automstic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 10:15 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have always driven 5 speeds, and have never driven a 6 speed. To me the shift pattern of a 6 speed looks more complicated.

With a 5 speed I always know straight up/down is 3rd and 4th gear, but with a 6 speed there doesn’t appear to be a straight up/down, unless I’m looking at it wrong.
I have a 6 speed (and (2) 5 speeds). It is a slight push to the right to get it down in 6th.

I honestly get lost when I'm downshifting though, it's the tightest shifter I've had and it's like ok, am I in 5th? 3rd? Oh what the hell, let's go for 4th!

I seemed to handle the transition from 4 speed to 5 speed ok so I don't know what my problem is what this one.

Never mind all 3 cars go into reverse differently.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:29 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I never have to look at the shifter to know what gear I'm using or when to shift.
+1
While I haven't owned a manual shift car for quite a few years, back in the days when I did have cars with a manual transmission, I didn't have to look at the shifter.

On a side note... have you ever noticed how many people who have been driving the same automatic trans vehicle for many years... somehow... can't seem to figure out how to shift from P to D, or from D to R, or from D to P without staring intently at the shift lever? How is it possible to be so unfamiliar with the controls of one's own car that it is necessary to look at the automatic shift lever every time one needs to move the shift lever?

Even if these people don't possess any sense memory, aren't they aware that every modern vehicle has a read-out on the instrument panel indicating which gear they are in?

'tis a mystery...

Old 04-17-2019, 10:47 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,263,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Years ago I was second in line at a traffic light next to North Gate mall, at the traffic light with snow on the ground, when the light changed, the panel wagon in front of me hit me hard doing lots of damage. Driver had just bought it, and forgot it was a 3 speed tyanny not the 4 speed he had just traded in, put in reverse instead of low and being in snow gave it lots of gas destroyed the whole front of my 6 months old car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

My worry is that I could seriously screw up by shifting from 5th to Reverse. But Reverse is pretty far over. When I first got the vehicle, I would only shift into 6th if nobody else was near.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I have a 6 speed (and (2) 5 speeds). It is a slight push to the right to get it down in 6th.

I honestly get lost when I'm downshifting though, it's the tightest shifter I've had and it's like ok, am I in 5th? 3rd? Oh what the hell, let's go for 4th!

I seemed to handle the transition from 4 speed to 5 speed ok so I don't know what my problem is what this one.

Never mind all 3 cars go into reverse differently.
One addition that I think manual transmissions could use, particularly 3-speeds, which have reverse where 1st is on most other 4-, 5-, or 6-speed transmissions, is a positive mechanical reverse lock-out, like the ring on those Hurst VW shifters.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:09 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Manuals used to be more fuel efficient and quicker shifting than automatics, but now with DSG transmissions you get the convenience of an automatic with the efficiency of a manual.
Exactly right, my friend.

I think the DSG transmission is one of the great innovations in automotive technology.

The best of both worlds.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:44 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I have also driven manual transmission in left-hand driving and right-hand driving countries. Both places for many years.

I can easily rotate without any hassles. Only that because I am right-handed, it poses some challenges when I drive in UK or Japan because I have to use my left hand to control the stick shift. The response is not as prompt as if I use my right hand.

Back in the days when manual transmission was more prevalent like early '70s, there was fringe benefit in driving manual. When you went on a date, she might likely wear mini-skirt. So there were plenty of opportunities that when you moved your stick shift, your hand would accidentally touch her thigh especially if you were driving cars like Volkswagen Beetle.

The fun is gone for automatic.

So, you used the act of shifting gears as a convenient excuse to "accidentally" touch a young lady's exposed thigh?

How classy and chivalrous.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:38 PM

1,070 posts, read 787,975 times
Default Funny you mentioned that, consider this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual. How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on steering wheel? It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual?

Funny you mentioned that. Driving very carefully I hope. Think of it this way, truck drivers using those unmanageable manual transmissions delivered to dealerships all the cars and pickups you see on the roads any where you go in the world for the past 100 plus years.

Somehow these drivers were able over power these awkward devices and put those gears in their place. Here's to the drivers who controlled those pesky manual transmissions everywhere. It may well be that robots will require automatic transmissions the do the job in the future but human manual transmission drivers will not think less of them because they can't drive a shift.

The future robot drivers must always remember, that it was a truck driver, driving a truck with a manual transmission that delivered the computer that designed them originally.

I digress, back to your question. It's a worthwhile skill to learn even 13, 15, 18 speed transmissions. it makes a better driver out of you. No different then building a computer, or trading stock on line or installing your own 7' satellite dish. It's just a set of skills committed to memory. The economic benefits and the sense of accomplishment make the skill worth doing. The getting there part may not always be the most enjoyable part of the journey, but having the skill in my tool pouch always makes me glad I've learned whatever it is.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:43 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
So, you used the act of shifting gears as a convenient excuse to "accidentally" touch a young lady's exposed thigh?

How classy and chivalrous.
Sometimes it isn't intentional. I rarely drive an automatic. There have been a few embarrassing moments when I was driving somewhere in one with a passenger, made a reflex grab for the shifter that didn't exist, and ended up clutching the thigh of the passenger instead. Surprised looks, apologies and explanations, and sheepish laughter usually followed. Everyone ends up looking silly at one time or another if they live long enough.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:19 PM

972 posts, read 543,119 times
Driving a manual is hard work while you're learning, but it becomes second nature with a little practice.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Nothing like driving a manual drop top.

I learned to drive on a 1976 Triumph Spitfire. It was love at first site.

Then my first car my dad bought me a 1967 Shelby Mustang Fastback manual that he was going to restore. It was a blast to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive