Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 05:14 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Go back in time a bit further and you also had a starter button on the floor.
Never had that but do miss the high beam switch on the floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 05:19 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Manuals used to be more fuel efficient and quicker shifting than automatics, but now with DSG transmissions you get the convenience of an automatic with the efficiency of a manual.
Some vehicles these days are even quicker and more fuel efficient with an automatic than the manual option. And in most others, the difference is minimal. I think the practical advantages of the manual, at least in commonly occurring situations, are pretty much gone. Now the advantages are mostly the touchy-feely stuff.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:24 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Well it clearly proves them to be unwanted by most people (passionate protests by some notwithstanding). If there were significant demand, the automakers would be offering them to meet it. I don't think the lack of interest is because they're unsafe though.

Dumbing down America, brought to you by No Child Left Behind and the Common Core.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:29 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Dumbing down America, brought to you by No Child Left Behind and the Common Core.
I suppose there's no reason to have HVAC either. One can just chop wood, keep the wood stove loaded and cart out the ash. Anyone who wants a natural gas furnace and digital thermostat so they don't have to do anything, must be dumb.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:32 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I suppose there's no reason to have HVAC either. One can just chop wood, keep the wood stove loaded and cart out the ash. Anyone who wants a natural gas furnace and digital thermostat so they don't have to do anything, must be dumb.

Whataboutism eh, why do anything besides kill each other for basic necessities. Who needs civilization.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:12 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post

It’s on the gas pedal
If your left foot is on the gas pedal, then your right foot is probably resting on the dashboard. Or sticking out the passenger-side window.

Now...THAT'S unsafe.

You could simplify your driving just by using the correct foot on the correct pedal. For most normal people in right-hand drive cars, that would the the right foot on the gas pedal.

(The foregoing recommendation is offered under the assumption that you have two functioning legs with one foot attached to the end of each leg. If your physical configuration differs from the norm, well...you're on your own.)

Old 04-16-2019, 06:25 PM

3,867 posts, read 3,147,873 times
I miss driving a manual. Automatics are so boring.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,385 times
I have also driven manual transmission in left-hand driving and right-hand driving countries. Both places for many years.

I can easily rotate without any hassles. Only that because I am right-handed, it poses some challenges when I drive in UK or Japan because I have to use my left hand to control the stick shift. The response is not as prompt as if I use my right hand.

Back in the days when manual transmission was more prevalent like early '70s, there was fringe benefit in driving manual. When you went on a date, she might likely wear mini-skirt. So there were plenty of opportunities that when you moved your stick shift, your hand would accidentally touch her thigh especially if you were driving cars like Volkswagen Beetle.

The fun is gone for automatic.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I have also driven manual transmission in left-hand driving and right-hand driving countries. Both places for many years.

I can easily rotate without any hassles. Only that because I am right-handed, it poses some challenges when I drive in UK or Japan because I have to use my left hand to control the stick shift. The response is not as prompt as if I use my right hand.
Ditto for me when I lived in Australia. Took some getting used to for shifting.

Quote:
When you went on a date, she might likely wear mini-skirt. So there were plenty of opportunities that when you moved your stick shift, your hand would accidentally touch her thigh especially if you were driving cars like Volkswagen Beetle.
So it was the gearshift and you were also happy to see her...

Old 04-16-2019, 06:42 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,737 times
Omg manual cars are one of my biggest failures in life. For some reason I just cannot get it. Everyone has tried to teach me, parents, grandparents, husband, sister, friends. Heck my daughter will probably try to teach me one day.

I’m a smart woman, I have two masters degrees, but I cannot figure out the timing with that bleeping clutch to save my life. I’ve driven for over 20 years, I know when to shift. It’s that stupid clutch, I either pop it too fast or go too slow.

It’s disappointing, it just looks like fun. But thank goodness for automatic cars- I’d be sunk without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive