Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 07:04 AM

1,069 posts, read 787,722 times

Advertisements

Does Europe have a higher standard when it comes to fuel economy? I just read about number vehicles which get upward of (55 mpg) in a care review of cars with names quite familiar to most people. The cars were smaller, lighter and powered by less horse power as well. The bottom line is mathematically and or economically the cars would certainly be ideal for city commuters.

The same cars would also easily compete with the smaller hybrids and being less complex win in the longevity and maintenance competition as well. Do Internal combustion engines that get 55 plus MPG (highway MPG) even exist? Are they for sale in the U.S.. I have owned 50 MPG cars in the bought new in 1980 and put 100,000 plus miles on with just recommended maintenance before being sold. However I have not heard of the current 55 MPG stuff till I read the mentioned article. Remember I'm just referring to internal combustion engines only (not hybrids).

Being this is a worldwide forum the answers should be quite interesting making comparisons with the 1980 car I previously mentioned. I am interested in what progress has been made with (internal combustion engine efficiency) in the last 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 09:15 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
In America we have always liked our big thirsty V8 engines. They are doing more with less or I should say they are getting more power out of the gas/engine so there is more efficiency and cleaner burning.

IN Europe many of the cars are smaller. The last few times my wife and I were in Ireland and England we rented cars and they were diesels that really sipped the fuel. The cost of fuel is expensive with prices approaching $1.50 per litre and then figure in the exchange rate and a gallon of fuel was about $5. It is a good thing their cars and engines are small and get good mileage.

I believe in Ireland they still are taxing cars on the size of the engine so you will pay less for say a 2 litre car over a 5 litre one.

Trucks are big sellers in America with Ford actually stopping production of sedans and many of those trucks are now coming with smaller engines that have just as much if not more power and better mileage than their older big V8's had.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:49 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
I’m not an expert on the subject but interested as well. My understanding is that fuel injection took the place of carburetors in most car models during the 1980s and after that there really hasn’t been any significant innovation in the internal combustion engine beyond incremental refinements over the years. This would explain why fuel economy hasn’t improved much over that period of time except for hybrid engines.

While I was in Mexico recently I rented a car that was very fuel efficient but had an obscenely underpowered engine by U.S. standards. I didn’t see this as a case of innovation but a cost-saving measure. Gas is also expensive there by comparison to here. However, this was just one example of cutting corners to bring costs down. Since the general population has less money there and see car ownership as a luxury as opposed to basic need, most cars there are bare-bone on the extras we come to expect here (automatic transmission, cruise control, electric windows and door locks, A/C). The car I drove had none of these things.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’m not an expert on the subject but interested as well. My understanding is that fuel injection took the place of carburetors in most car models during the 1980s and after that there really hasn’t been any significant innovation in the internal combustion engine beyond incremental refinements over the years. This would explain why fuel economy hasn’t improved much over that period of time except for hybrid engines.

While I was in Mexico recently I rented a car that was very fuel efficient but had an obscenely underpowered engine by U.S. standards. I didn’t see this as a case of innovation but a cost-saving measure. Gas is also expensive there by comparison to here. However, this was just one example of cutting corners to bring costs down. Since the general population has less money there and see car ownership as a luxury as opposed to basic need, most cars there are bare-bone on the extras we come to expect here (automatic transmission, cruise control, electric windows and door locks, A/C). The car I drove had none of these things.
Does anyone else find this incredibly hard to believe?

Its more likely, progression has been suppressed imo...Im sorry, but technology doesnt just 'plateau' and sit there for years, decades!

Old 04-30-2019, 10:15 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,737 times
Quote:

There has actually been a lot of progress in the last 10+ years. Direct injection, a huge increase in the use of forced induction, and transmissions with additional gears have all led to much higher fuel economy as well as significant increases in power. Look at any vehicle from 15 years ago and a comparable vehicle today. Both fuel economy and horsepower are likely to be significantly higher.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:15 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,425,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post

The same cars would also easily compete with the smaller hybrids and being less complex win in the longevity and maintenance competition as well. Do Internal combustion engines that get 55 plus MPG (highway MPG) even exist? Are they for sale in the U.S.. I have owned 50 MPG cars in the bought new in 1980 and put 100,000 plus miles on with just recommended maintenance before being sold. However I have not heard of the current 55 MPG stuff till I read the mentioned article. Remember I'm just referring to internal combustion engines only (not hybrids).
Adding 5mpg from 1980 - 2019 is easy, many cars have done it.

The car you had was likely smaller, less luxurious, and slower than the comparative vehicle of today.

Quote:
There have been many advancements, variable valve timing, variable cam timing, high compression, direct fuel injection, using lighter oils, variable displacement, variable compression, OBD1, OBD2.

The actual MPG # is based on many factors, including consumer demand, safety, comfort, etc.
You could probably have a 60+ mpg vehicle, but how many people today would be comfortable driving a 1.5L or smaller vehicle without A/C, Power steering, rear speakers, rear seats, automatic transmission, or 10 airbags?

Old 04-30-2019, 10:17 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Does Europe have a higher standard when it comes to fuel economy? I just read about number vehicles which get upward of (55 mpg) in a care review of cars with names quite familiar to most people. The cars were smaller, lighter and powered by less horse power as well. The bottom line is mathematically and or economically the cars would certainly be ideal for city commuters.

Being this is a worldwide forum the answers should be quite interesting making comparisons with the 1980 car I previously mentioned. I am interested in what progress has been made with (internal combustion engine efficiency) in the last 40 years.
Take a look at the Chevy Cruze and Equinox diesels-both are reportedly getting over 50mpg highway (Cruze quite a bit better). Or look for a used Jetta or Golf TDI.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...-cruze-diesel/

Old 04-30-2019, 10:18 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
175 hp out of a 4-cylinder was considered very high performance in the 1980's.
A lot of cars had less than 100 hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Take a look at the Chevy Cruze and Equinox diesels-both are reportedly getting over 50mpg highway (Cruze quite a bit better). Or look for a used Jetta or Golf TDI.
They neutered the 1.6 GM diesels in the quest for max mileage. They're gutless.
VW? They're a bunch of scofflaws. Who knows what crap was done to make them compliant. Or they're just not.

The best version of these things to get is the 2015 Cruze 2.0TD.
Do NOT buy an earlier one... it took awhile to get the emissions sorted.
Lots of torque (264 lb/ft), gets very good mileage, meets emissions.

I've seen over 50 mpg a few times (highest was 56) in the right conditions, but normally I get mid to high 40's hwy.
That's going 80 mph, which is where an old 55 mpg car would be topping out.

Last edited by eaton53; 04-30-2019 at 10:30 AM..

Old 04-30-2019, 10:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
You can have a lightweight car with a turbo that gives you 50mpg in most condition except for highway if people can accept a CVT or more intrusive computer controlled automatic. The problem is people want instant torque and 50mpg and there's no way to do that without a hybrid or EV approach.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:38 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,851 times
Quote:

Japan is all about tiny cars with put put motors because its so crowded over there. So the cars probably get 55mpg and are designed to do that.
My guess is that big cities in Europe have such a high price of living that people with money want to drive cars that are status symbols. Its the outliers that get the tiny cars. I know in NYC you cant get these kinds of cars besides a Fiat. But in NYC you should see more of these cars, but they arent out there.
I think NYC is supposed to enact some sort of commuter tax to alleviate the congestion. If cities around the country do this, that could drive some sort of change in cars.

Really all the cars should be electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive