Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 03:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I assure you that a 10-yr old S-class looks dated. It may be clean but it's dated. I agree that some cars age less than others. BMWs hadn't changed notably, other than getting bigger. The X1 looks like the previous X3. There's something about a new car that you notice.
Most cars today look funny. All the round corners and angled fascia. The bug eye head and tail lights. IF you removed the badges most people couldn’t tell one brand from another. A lot of older cars had style that sadly most cars today are lacking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 03:35 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
I assure you that a 10-yr old S-class looks dated. It may be clean but it's dated. I agree that some cars age less than others. BMWs hadn't changed notably, other than getting bigger. The X1 looks like the previous X3. There's something about a new car that you notice.

The concept of things being "dated" - which I guess springs out of women's fashion and now HGTV - is one of the stupidest concepts I have had the misfortune to run into, late in my life.

My E30 M3 is "dated" - it's also worth roughly what it cost new, but in deflated dollars. The Biltmore House is "dated". A pre-64 Model 70 Winchester is "dated". A first generation Single Action Army Bisley model is "dated", as are the belt and holster that came with it. Hell, a P-51 Mustang is "dated". All these things are "dated" but there is nothing wrong with them, and a Hell of a lot right with them. Mr. Market has spoken, and all these artifacts are held in high esteem, and that means they cost a lot!

Saying something is "dated" is a way the Don Drapers of the world try to make you dis-satisfied with what you have, when there is no real reason to be so. If you bite on that asinine concept, you are a "fish" and deserved to be separated from your money.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:39 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,837,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
Not really. Someone I work with just got a 2017 fancier trim Ford Edge for about $19,500 with about 45,000 miles-said she got a good deal because the car new mspred at about $40,000.
45000?? That's a lot of miles for a 2 year old car. $20k is a good dealer retail for that car average from $19500 to $24k. they add in all the bells and whistles, but when I buy a used car I look at base model, engine, condition and miles. To me, a 2 year old car been driven approximately 22500 per year, way over the normal average. Probably was a lease or rental with those kinda miles. Not worth that to me.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:53 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
I assure you that a 10-yr old S-class looks dated.
Maybe to you, but you are a car person.
I've owned many 10 year old luxury cars and most people haven't a clue.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:24 PM

423 posts, read 458,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Maybe to you, but you are a car person.
I've owned many 10 year old luxury cars and most people haven't a clue.
That's what I'm getting at. A lot of people still see 08-09 luxury cars as nice and very new. You can get a Bentley Continental for the same price as an 5-Series now.

But then that raises the question, is the Bentley considered $200k nice or just $70k nice?

as OP, I personally go by what I paid. If I pay $50k for a late model S550, I see a $50k car. It's nice, I didn't pay a ton, but it's not the newest tech or design.

Now I know someone who strictly goes by MSRP. He paid $14k for a used low mileage 2013 Mercedes C class. He says its better than my 2017 Subaru because his original MSRP was $45k. So he pretty much goes around saying he drives a $45,000 car even though he paid less than what a new Corolla costs.

Difference is I brought my Subaru new for $30,000, paying nearly double and (in his eyes) getting lesser of a car). I assume what "matters" here is bragging rights. It's the type of car vs the amount of money spent on it.

I mean if I started going by his logic my $35,000 but $90,000 4-years-ago Maserati is a better car than his.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:08 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
Quote:
I completely disagree. It's kind of amazing that you would pick the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, which I think is one of the best agers in the industry. It's evolution is extremely gradual and its chassis turnover interval is relatively long.

The first photo is of a 2008MY and the second photo is of a 2019MY. You really believe those look radically different, and that the 11MY older looks very dated?

For the record, I've never discussed the purchase price or original MSRPs of any vehicles I have ever driven with anyone beyond close friends who have asked me specifically. It seems pretty gauche to me to bring it up, regardless if your car was pre-owned or new.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I completely disagree. It's kind of amazing that you would pick the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, which I think is one of the best agers in the industry. It's evolution is extremely gradual and its chassis turnover interval is relatively long.
Isn't it the S class that is the fastest depreciating car int he world? (maybe it was C class - is there a C class?). Whichever one it was it has most cars beat for depreciation by a huge margin. (in both $ and %)

Old 06-14-2019, 01:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
when i buy a car, the only price that matters to me is the sale price. i only buy used cars. but i go beyond price, and look at the condition of the car itself, and then deal with the price.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:43 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Isn't it the S class that is the fastest depreciating car int he world? (maybe it was C class - is there a C class?). Whichever one it was it has most cars beat for depreciation by a huge margin. (in both $ and %)
I've heard that before as well, but it's very much a myth. The residual values on the S-Class are comfortably above 50% on 3 year/10k terms. The C-Class' residuals are even higher, sometimes breaking 60% for the same term. The lease residuals are the most important metric here since there is a very high propensity to lease them in the United States. Relative to the BMW 7-Series and Audi A8, it performs well on depreciation tables.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:17 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not quite but it's up there.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ation/?slide=1

#1 Nissan Leaf
#2 Chevrolet Volt
#3 BMW 7-series
#4 Benz S-Class
#5 Ford Fusion Energi Hybrid
#6 BMW 6 series
#7 BMW 5 series
#8 Benz E-Class
#9 Jaguar XJL
#10 Chevrolet Impala
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive