Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:17 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I would think drives greater than 4 hours should really consider using the rails.
I recall reading an academic paper a couple of decades ago that concluded the much more freight would travel via rail but for the Railroad Retirement Act https://www.rrb.gov/Resources/LegalI...nofRRA/The_RRA .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 07:53 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
Quote:
It's high time to replace a lot of diesel vehicles and 2050 is a long ways away. Perhaps the plan will change if/when diesel fuel evolves. As previously stated by StealthRabbit, the diesel engine was original designed to run on vegetable oil (peanut iirc). Since then we've seen fuels like recycled vegetable oil, biodiesel/blends, and HPR. So there's a possibility that diesel vehicles might burn cleaner fuel in the near future.

As the owner of an old TDI, Duramax, and 2 EVs, I can tell you the big impact of embracing an EV for a commuter/errand/road trip car. After buying our first EV to use as a commuter car we reduced our annual gasoline consumption by 1,000 gallons and diesel consumption by 200 gallons.

Tesla's Semi has been seen on the highway and at the Kettleman City Supercharger over the last month. If it can haul a load over 4 hours between charges, it just might replace a lot of diesel rigs.
Tesla Semi trucks are a joke when you have fresh produce that has to be transported from the West cost to the east cost you need a reefer Semi Truck to keep the product cold in the trailer and get it to the east coast within a week. And if you have to stop every 4 hours charge then you’re load will go bad by the time it gets there, and how you going to keep the Reefer cold add another battery lol lol and trains can go so far. California is a Democratic State that’s in so much trouble with all their regulations and policies. Look at all the people homeless on the streets of LA and San Francisco. Semi trucks keep America rolling everything you eat, and wear and use is delivered by a semi truck. Ever see a train backed up in your local grocery store shipping dock.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:35 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Hauls more than 4 hours can be very unhealthy for truckers. It's recommended that folks down sit for durations longer than 45 minutes at this point. Drivers risk fatigue and kidney issues as well if they don't take proper breaks.
That's why truck seats have air ride and isolators.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:42 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Hauls more than 4 hours can be very unhealthy for truckers. It's recommended that folks down sit for durations longer than 45 minutes at this point. Drivers risk fatigue and kidney issues as well if they don't take proper breaks.
That's why truck seats have air suspensions and isolators that car seats don't have.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
WVO is not the sustainable feedstock for Bio-D. (Tho I have friend processing 9,000 gal per day of that.). Algae and other very ez to produce feedstocks + synthetic diesel are viable north of $5 / gal. (I.e. much of world lives with $5/gal fuel). Jet-A has been quite successful using algae feedstocks. USA is hindered with crappy Bio-D due to US Soybean council owning the Bio-D board. So.... We (USA) get bad diesel and bad Bio-D. Europe engine manf and users get 100% warranty on 100% Bio-d USA = 5% max. Pretty sad.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:20 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,381,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
ROFL.... used vegetable oil makes sense but there is certainly isn't enough of it to even begin to supply demand. Growing something to provide fuel is just plain stupid or someone would already be doing it.
You mean like the ethanol from corn that is put in most Gasolines - LoL

Diesel fuel can also be made from natural gas in addition to Bio and Coal.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:26 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post

My thought is the dirty diesel is what has built California. What's yours?

California should either succeed from the Union, OR be given back to Mexico!!!!!

Old 07-13-2019, 09:09 PM

12,458 posts, read 9,550,156 times
2050 is more than 30 years off. I am not going to get too worked up over it. In all likelihood, good alternatives will have been developed well before then. Many are under development now.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:29 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Regulators in California have made it plain diesel trucks will tow the environmental line. Recent legislation will make diesels disappear by 2050.

New regulations requiring existing diesel engines to be upgraded or renewed over defined time-lines have also been enacted in California. The expense of such legislation will have grave consequences in the trucking industry.

https://www.overdriveonline.com/new-...rucks-by-2050/

https://www.overdriveonline.com/carb...rting-in-2020/

My thought is the dirty diesel is what has built California. What's yours?

My thoughts ? Do you live in California ? I did. I remember days driving home from work when I had to pull off the road because my eyes were tearing up so badly that I couldn't see (smog). Anyone who has driven near a diesel truck when it is accelerating knows how much black smoke they emit, they are about the dirtiest form of propulsion on the planet.

I love cars as much as the next guy, but I also realize the time is coming for every State to enact laws to limit gas and diesel burning vehicle use. It isn't just tree huggers who want this, but also people who care about their children and the planet.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
[/color]

My thoughts ? Do you live in California ? I did. I remember days driving home from work when I had to pull off the road because my eyes were tearing up so badly that I couldn't see (smog). Anyone who has driven near a diesel truck when it is accelerating knows how much black smoke they emit, they are about the dirtiest form of propulsion on the planet.
Sounds like Colorado.... She burning smog.... As you well know, diesel trucks do not need to 'smoke' under acceleration, if they do, there is a problem. (Air intake, engine, or driver).... Rail is ugly, but they too could burn clean Bio-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive