Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 11:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
[/color]

My thoughts ? Do you live in California ? I did. I remember days driving home from work when I had to pull off the road because my eyes were tearing up so badly that I couldn't see (smog). Anyone who has driven near a diesel truck when it is accelerating knows how much black smoke they emit, they are about the dirtiest form of propulsion on the planet.

I love cars as much as the next guy, but I also realize the time is coming for every State to enact laws to limit gas and diesel burning vehicle use. It isn't just tree huggers who want this, but also people who care about their children and the planet.
I also remember and I am all for getting rid of them. Whenever I see or gag from the black gunk coming out of them, I keep wondering why they're still legal. So, we have to put up with 30 more years of them? Yeesh, that sounds like a win for the diesel owners to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
With a thirty-year deadline and lots of other factors closing in, this is hardly a hysterical nanny-state ban.
Have you noticed how they always make demands or predictions 30 years out? None of them will be around and nobody remembers what they said. Didn't California ban all gasoline engines by just about now a few years ago? Great products don't need a push. Who banned woodstoves?

Old 07-13-2019, 11:44 PM

1,663 posts, read 877,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Hauls more than 4 hours can be very unhealthy for truckers. It's recommended that folks down sit for durations longer than 45 minutes at this point. Drivers risk fatigue and kidney issues as well if they don't take proper breaks.
LOL. I would love to see a driver try to get a dispatcher to buy that!

Old 07-14-2019, 01:01 AM

1,663 posts, read 877,303 times
Quote:
[/color]

My thoughts ? Do you live in California ? I did. I remember days driving home from work when I had to pull off the road because my eyes were tearing up so badly that I couldn't see (smog). Anyone who has driven near a diesel truck when it is accelerating knows how much black smoke they emit, they are about the dirtiest form of propulsion on the planet.
New diesels don't smoke at all. They're also cleaner than gasoline engines and more efficient.
https://phys.org/news/2017-07-diesel-gas.html

Quote:
I love cars as much as the next guy, but I also realize the time is coming for every State to enact laws to limit gas and diesel burning vehicle use. It isn't just tree huggers who want this, but also people who care about their children and the planet.
Why? Internal combustion engines are all about 99% cleaner than they were 50 years ago, according to the EPA. https://www.epa.gov/transportation-a...transportation

As long as we don't let half of the third world in the country and if we stabilize our population somewhat things will be alright.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:01 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
New diesels don't smoke at all. They're also cleaner than gasoline engines and more efficient.
https://phys.org/news/2017-07-diesel-gas.html
That's the textbook response but I've had no trouble noticing I am standing to a running Diesel truck. The sound and odor are unmistakable even new.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:42 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's the textbook response but I've had no trouble noticing I am standing to a running Diesel truck. The sound and odor are unmistakable even new.
I see quite a few big diesel pick up trucks around here, when they take off from a red light, stop sign, etc, they put out HUGE plumes of black smoke, if they are doing this everytime they take off from a stop....thats ALOT of crap being emitted from these trucks!

These are not older trucks either, its late models, 2000s and up from what Ive seen.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:05 PM

24,476 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Regulators in California have made it plain diesel trucks will tow the environmental line. Recent legislation will make diesels disappear by 2050.

New regulations requiring existing diesel engines to be upgraded or renewed over defined time-lines have also been enacted in California. The expense of such legislation will have grave consequences in the trucking industry.

https://www.overdriveonline.com/new-...rucks-by-2050/

https://www.overdriveonline.com/carb...rting-in-2020/

My thought is the dirty diesel is what has built California. What's yours?
But it hasn’t been signed in to a law yet.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:05 AM

1,069 posts, read 787,722 times
Default Maybe your missing the big picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
With a thirty-year deadline and lots of other factors closing in, this is hardly a hysterical nanny-state ban.

Here is the reality of what my experience has been. I traveled across country last month to attend a funeral of my wife's mother who owned a 3rd generation trucking business with 200 semi trucks which were owned or leased to her company. I had worked at the business as an independent having owned my own tractor and trailer through the 1980's. If your a reader and are have read a number of Upton Sinclair books think of one of his titles being (owner operator).

Those were the Reagan years as president, remember the Reagan miracle. This trucking company that I am referring to existed in the state of Illinois. The cost of Diesel through the 1980's was a $1.00 a gallon which represented 31% of my gross earnings through those years. I bought my first truck and trailer at a Chicago public auction and being part of the Reagan miracle, I was in the trucking business. I like most of the other drivers I worked and lived from week to week with no certainty of whether there would be loads for me to haul the next week or even the next day. The trucking company agreement restricted you to hauling for the company you were leased to only. I had gotten into trucking after three large companies I had previously worked for had shut their doors with no announcement. Lionel Trains, Hillside, N.j. Owens, Illinois, Jersey city, N.J. and Hunt Wesson Foods. Boy was i in for a surprise.

The business of steel hauling was feast or famine. Net salary after taxes and expenses was right at $25,000 a year and being self employed there were no paid holidays or health insurance or pension. The hours were sometimes very long and the work was physically very hard as in 24 plus hour days. Back to the funeral I attended. The guys I had known during those trucking years were either all dead or had serious health problems. See the article "truck drivers live 16 years on average less then the rest of the male population in America".

Shorter Lifespan for Truck Drivers? | DOT Physicals | Orlando DOT Physicals – DOT Physical Exam

The trucking company has since been sold and all the guys that were owner operators went under because the nearby steel mill closed a third time. Each time no notice, no compensation, no retraining just "operations at the plant have ceased". This third owner of the mill then disassembled the production lines and moved it all to India. The mill was originally Jones and Laughlin then later LTV and finally ArcelorMittal.

PHOTOS: Work rolls from former Hennepin steel plant will be preserved | Free | newstrib.com

https://www.hindustantimes.com/busin...AJNBe8k6J.html

Here are some of the places we delivered steel to. Amana, Chrysler, Ford, G.E., Magic Chef, Hon, Mitsubishi, John Deere, International Harvester, Case, Fermi-lab to name a few, each one a story in itself.

So here's to the young healthy guys that delivered the steel that your filing cabinets, cars, pick-up trucks, mini-vans, microwaves, washers, dryers, cell towers, and a thousand other things. Small town people none of whom drank or took dope and many of whom died in their 50's.

Here is the harsh reality of what actually occurs currently in the real world that never makes the urban news.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Catastrophi...y_9th_2019_in/

I am (13_speed) filling in the blanks about that picture in reddit. I'll keep you updated on dirty diesel.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:00 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
California should either succeed from the Union, OR be given back to Mexico!!!!!
Speaking of.. What use is heavy regs in S Cal when TJ has zero. Every wind shift we get their heavy smog layer. El Cajon's air is horrible all thanks to Mexico.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:05 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I see quite a few big diesel pick up trucks around here, when they take off from a red light, stop sign, etc, they put out HUGE plumes of black smoke, if they are doing this everytime they take off from a stop....thats ALOT of crap being emitted from these trucks!

These are not older trucks either, its late models, 2000s and up from what Ive seen.
That is caused to due excess fuel going into the engine and not burning off. The un-burnt fuel is pushed out of the exhaust creating the black soot.

It could be due to worn fuel injectors or a fuel pump going bad. It is also a modification done by the vehicle owner to create the soot on purpose to mimic the tractors of old or to roll coal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive