Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 05:24 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Same here... EV's in the 1970's and 3D printing in 1980's and 90's (Stuff that wasn't on the radar of the average Joe), but it paid the bills and provided lots of great stock options. And fun / creativity / profits.
Heck, I worked as a sign painter with paint and paint brush for a while in the 70's.
Don't ask me to do it today, it's basically a lost art. But back in the day, I could paint your name on the door of your truck.

Money in art, not that good. Switched to engineering, so everything's computers now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 09:31 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,439 times
Luciano, any time you're thinking about opening a business, you have to think about who your competition is / will be. For automotive tire manufacturing, your competition would be large corporations with huge amounts of money to invest in R&D, marketing, manufacturing, and sales, plus extremely experienced individuals manning those divisions, plus the availability of cheaper foreign labor markets. Good Luck with going against that - so unless you can find a "niche" market that would be unprofitable for the Big Boys to venture into, you're peeing into the wind. Maybe get a job at a tire retailer, so you can learn the business, before investing a nickel of your own money? A good salesman who is passionate about the product he's selling, is worth his weight in Gold. When I was in the Working World, I dealt with a sales guy for a local industrial Tire Service that took the time to inventory all of the tires on all of the equipment we had on site. When I needed a tire for a fork truck or skid steer, I only had to send him an email with the ID of the machine, and he sent me back a quote, with options (foam filled, etc.) within hours, and at a very good price and availability. Guess who got the vast majority of my business?

Old 07-15-2019, 01:10 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,718,254 times
Thank you guys for the responses as always Haha how can I appreciate you all?

I am serious, although I could say my interest in staring at tires let's just say isn't that new, only in the last few years though have I been putting more attention to tire detail and design

I also think tires more than ever have more artwork and graphic detail put into them, which only ignited (pun un-intended) my interest in starting at tires even more carefully and compartmentalized

And minivan tires aren't the only ones I enjoy staring at either

Plenty of touring, hi performance and sport tires get my attention too

The Pilot Sport tires from Michellin are from what I would assume of their looks, those got my attention liberally too.

One of them was on a Corvette parked at the fitness center I go to (I go to 2 now lol, but that's not required to even mention here)

And the other was at a Hyundai Veloster N Turbo that I saw at Mall Del Norte down in Laredo TX

Plenty of Fireli and Continental tires as well in many display cars

When it comes to most automotive technology sectors, tires sometimes are as under-appreciated as they go still. And they're also trying work on new tire technologies too if I am not mistaken.

But yes tires are also a very OLD technological and industrial sector, but with the evolving cutting edge automotive technology trends, tires may sure need some attention in the trend trips hahahah

Old 07-15-2019, 01:17 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,718,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
OP, do you mean for employment or you want to start your own brand? I’m assuming you meant for a job.
Correct, I pretty much meant the former at all costs 👌

Old 07-15-2019, 06:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Your factory will cost about $200 million. Distribution network maybe four times that amount. If you can borrow half a billion and have $100,000,000 as a down payment - go for it.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:26 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
You are not going to become "a tire manufacturer." Period.

If the intricacies of tire design etc. are a real interest and not a passing fad, and you have the ability to get an engineering degree, then that's where you need to go.

Talk to your school counselor, take some aptitude tests, write intelligent legible letters of inquiry to a few of the tire makers regarding careers.

Show initiative.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:52 AM

1,062 posts, read 979,914 times
You can get a degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, or industrial design, and apply for jobs at tire companies

Old 07-15-2019, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
It would be easier to get an education in chemical engineering or process engineering, or a degree in business. Position yourself to become part of a tire manufacture. Work your way up into the C suite. Do what you can to become the President and CEO of the company.

I would study the current crop of tire company CEO's and see what they did to get where they are.

For example Richard J. Kramer is a CPA and worked his way up to the top spot at Goodyear

Gordon Knapp has a MBA and worked his way up to run Firestone.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:10 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,161,173 times
Find a way to get hired into the tire manufacturing industry, one needs to know the industry before marking his own mark.
No need to "reinvent the tire"...

Old 07-15-2019, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 418 times
... and there is no such thing as a minivan tire. They are no different than any other car tire. Just happened that your parents own a Honda Odyssey, but all passenger car tires are essentially the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive