Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:17 PM

30,694 posts, read 18,319,995 times

Advertisements

I know folks who are happy with the Nissan Armada, which seats 8 if I recall correctly! But it is a big beast of an SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 12:47 PM

19,103 posts, read 27,690,868 times
It's truck with cab. With all Titan issues inherited. Our realtor has Armada, we rode with him. Yes, BIG.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:08 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,769,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I’d go CX9 or used MDX. The refresh is coming soon from Acura.
If one wants an Acura MDX, I'd get it now. Because when they refresh them, they will have bugs to work out all over again.

A friend of mine bought the MDX when the current generation came out. Traded it for an Infiniti a couple years latter because of all the bugs.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:26 PM

35,020 posts, read 57,115,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Your options are a Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Subaru Ascent, Mazda CX-9, Mitsubishi Outlander. The Highlander, Pilot, and Ascent are all assembled in the United States with the other two being assembled in Japan.

I would definitely pass on the Outlander. It has the tightest interior and doesn’t offer anything unique, and it's probably going to be the least reliable.

Do you need AWD? The Subaru Ascent comes standard with it. If you want it, then it’s the cheapest one of the bunch to have it. Otherwise, I would go with another option as you can get FWD. It has a turbocharged boxer engine which may be less reliable long term. I’ve heard really mixed things about Subarus. Some people love theirs while others have found them to be less reliable.

The Mazda CX-9 is the most athletic of the bunch. Due to its packaging, it is less space efficient. It has a turbocharged engine. It too will probably be less reliable than a Pilot or Highlander but not terribly so.

The Pilot is overall pretty good. There isn’t much noteworthy to say about it other than the transmission is made by ZF of Germany. This is where it gets tricky; some people have claimed about reliability, but it’s unknown if they just dislike the shift quality or if it has problems.

The Highlander will likely be the most reliable. It has a hybrid available, but I would pass. It’s pretty expensive, and there’s not much fuel economy gain. If possible, I would wait until the 2020 model hybrid. It should be much more efficient. Again there are also whispers of reliability issues with its transmissions.

You should really consider a minivan, especially if you don’t need AWD. If you’re set on a crossover I would look at the at the Kia Telluride.
This is great. Exactly what I would recommend too. I agree that for reliability the OP should stick to Toyota, Honda or Subaru. Mazda and Mitsubishi aren’t known for their reliability but still could be fine. Jay

Old 08-15-2019, 03:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,758,488 times
Highlander is a bit small, has 3 rows but the 3rd row is only good for 2 kids.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:32 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,274,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Just as a side note:

Almost 450K miles on 4 American SUV's with 3 rows........Zero repairs outside of brakes/batteries/tires/oil changes

Tahoe (1)/Yukon (2), Explorer(1)...........

sister has a 2013 Suburban........110K miles, one battery, one set of tires, then just oil changes.
V8 full sized SUVs (not CUVs) are as good as it gets if you're going to take a bunch of people road trippin' frequently.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 4,000,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is great. Exactly what I would recommend too. I agree that for reliability the OP should stick to Toyota, Honda or Subaru. Mazda and Mitsubishi aren’t known for their reliability but still could be fine. Jay
Mazdas reliability is just fine. Nearly, if not flawless rating from CR on cx5 and cx9.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:45 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,955,281 times
I would say every new Mazda vehicles are more-reliable than Toyota and Honda right now, due to them being all built in Japan. Simple as that...

Old 08-16-2019, 07:09 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,336,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Subaru owns and operates one manufacturing plant in the United States, which is currently at full-capacity. Impreza, Legacy, Outback, and Ascent are all built in Indiana. At one time, this Subaru plant assembled Camry sedans for Toyota during early-2010s.

The last Camry line was removed from the Lafayette plant three years ago. 2016 was the last Camry model year where some were built in Lafayette, IN. The 2017 model year was 100% Subaru there.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:38 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,336,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Want to leverage the collective knowledge of this forum...

I am looking for a new vehicle. There are my only 2 factors:

- Japanese make. Hopefully this reduces the repair budget
- Can seat 6 if necessary. It doesn't have to regularly seat 6, but when needed I need to be able to pack in 6 people (maybe something folds down to become 3rd row seat?). I want to take wife, 2 kids, and grandpa grandma on road trips all in 1 car

Personally, I think it's crazed to spend the money in purchase price and ownership costs on a 6-seat SUV or crossover when you're only going to haul grandma and grandpa occasionally. In those rare instances, rent a minivan. Put a receiver hitch on it and buy a 4x8 folding trailer you can store upright in the corner of your garage for the Home Depot and trash runs. A roof box or receiver hitch platform for extra gear on family trips.

Usually, threads like this are spending $5K/year in extra ownership costs to be able to haul the Little League team a few times per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive