Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 03:03 PM

9,613 posts, read 7,009,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not familiar with what is available to be too specific. i guess i just want whatever will allow me to do less during my daily commute. most of it is highway moving pretty good. some of it is bumper to bumper traffic. id love to be able to eat dinner, watch a movie or read over documents but it seems that isnt an option (though i read somewhere that you can do it with tesla if you just grab the steering wheel when you get a beep from the car).
What you’re looking for is probably another few years out. Nobody makes a system that that’s trustworthy yet.
The reason Tesla makes you grab the wheel now is because people were getting killed trusting the system too much while sleeping and watching movies. Cadillac allows you to drive hands free but it monitors you to ensure you’re paying attention.
If you just want relief from working the gas pedal in bumper to bumper traffic, adaptive cruise with stop and go is pretty common now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 05:04 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,305,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
super cruise is already available on a Kia Soul gt turbo... the only difference is that it will beep after a few moments when your hands are not on the wheel.. what are you going to do with your hands off the wheel anyway..
A KIA Soul does not have anything close to SuperCruise except in demos.
They do offer the same driver aids as everyone else.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:08 AM

9,613 posts, read 7,009,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
A KIA Soul does not have anything close to SuperCruise except in demos.
They do offer the same driver aids as everyone else.
Kia and Toyota and other mainstream brands are rolling out “Lane centering” and other improvements. Lane centering is an improvement on lane departure warning that keeps you centered for a “hands free” experience yet still requires hands on the wheel.
I honestly don’t see the point of half trusting a computer to drive a car while I sit there staring at the road as if I’m driving anyway. It would be nice to replace the “steering with the knee “ method while you open a water bottle or something.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,881,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
What you’re looking for is probably another few years out. Nobody makes a system that that’s trustworthy yet.
The reason Tesla makes you grab the wheel now is because people were getting killed trusting the system too much while sleeping and watching movies. Cadillac allows you to drive hands free but it monitors you to ensure you’re paying attention.
If you just want relief from working the gas pedal in bumper to bumper traffic, adaptive cruise with stop and go is pretty common now.
im beginning to think that i should wait. at least until the the Y comes out since my preferred style is a small suv. cadillac is too flashy of a brand for me, id only get it if it was the best alternative (and i kind of want electric and not gas powered). ill do some test driving when i have time and see if anything excites me.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:16 PM

11,475 posts, read 11,631,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Tesla self drive in bad traffic is magical. I have to tap the wheel every now and then, but it takes so much pain out of bumper to bumper traffic.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:26 PM

37,375 posts, read 39,800,466 times
Quote:
im beginning to think that i should wait. at least until the the Y comes out since my preferred style is a small suv. cadillac is too flashy of a brand for me, id only get it if it was the best alternative (and i kind of want electric and not gas powered). ill do some test driving when i have time and see if anything excites me.
Yea, that makes sense. If you’re not in a huge rush and you’re leaning towards electric and like small SUVs, then the Model Y seems like a decent option to wait for. If you buy nicer trim lines, then your wait will likely be about a year and if you’re going for cheaper versions, then it’d probably be two years.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, that makes sense. If you’re not in a huge rush and you’re leaning towards electric and like small SUVs, then the Model Y seems like a decent option to wait for. If you buy nicer trim lines, then your wait will likely be about a year and if you’re going for cheaper versions, then it’d probably be two years.
i go back and forth on how urgent it is (ultimately it isnt really urgent). the longer i wait, the less likely ill be able to keep my current car and get another car. it will have a lot of mileage. i kind of want to keep it (Subaru forester) because i feel like its served me well in the winter and my #1 priority is to get to and from work safely. also, if i go to visit my offices in less nice areas (bronx, jamaica, yonkers) i prefer to have a car that doesnt get any attention.

i saw that the volvo xc40 will be come out in electric. i dont know where they stand with self driving but i think that is a very cute small suv.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 AM

i see the model y is apparently coming out fall 2020 but they let you order on their web site. is their any benefit to ordering early or is it just to give tesla $2,500 to play with?

Old 09-11-2019, 08:48 AM

11,475 posts, read 11,631,901 times
Quote:
i see the model y is apparently coming out fall 2020 but they let you order on their web site. is their any benefit to ordering early or is it just to give tesla $2,500 to play with?
Presuming there is a production backlog like there was with the Model 3, you’ll be one of the first to get a vehicle.

I don’t see the benefit in being first. We’re about a month in to our Model 3 lease and I’m very happy. This is the first vehicle I’ve ever leased. We usually buy 2 year old Toyotas and keep them forever. The lease was a bit of risk mitigation on my end. I think there will be a lot more EV options in 3 years and I don’t want to be stuck.

We’ve got about 1,000 miles on it and no real issues except a few annoyances dealing with Tesla on ordering parts (charging cable adapter and garage door opener.)

The car makes driving fun again and waking up to a full tank every morning is awesome.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Presuming there is a production backlog like there was with the Model 3, you’ll be one of the first to get a vehicle.

I don’t see the benefit in being first. We’re about a month in to our Model 3 lease and I’m very happy. This is the first vehicle I’ve ever leased. We usually buy 2 year old Toyotas and keep them forever. The lease was a bit of risk mitigation on my end. I think there will be a lot more EV options in 3 years and I don’t want to be stuck.

We’ve got about 1,000 miles on it and no real issues except a few annoyances dealing with Tesla on ordering parts (charging cable adapter and garage door opener.)

The car makes driving fun again and waking up to a full tank every morning is awesome.
what did you drive prior to the tesla?

im planning on doing a test drive soon, it would be easier if the first appointment wasnt 10am. best for me is to go before work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive