Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 12:13 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,639,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
While not direct competitors, I am sure there is some cross shopping between Model 3 and Camry, since a loaded Camry can cost well over $30k. I don't remember where I saw it but there was an article I read that aggregated the data for Model 3 owners and their trade ins. A major portion of the owners came from non-luxury makes.

I do think the Model 3 is a bargain in terms of operating costs for a car that performs like it does.
Nice, I was pretty sure that was the case though I never dug up any reports on that.

Yea, Model 3 seems like a pretty fantastic bargain given its price, operating costs, and how fun it is to drive. It’s a really solid car—hard stop. Not just good for the category of electric vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 12:16 PM

13,689 posts, read 9,776,537 times
Were I to be cross-shopping new "entry level luxury sedans" - Tesla Model 3, BMW 3-series, Mercedes C-class, Lexus IS350 - I'd probably choose the Tesla. Even with Camry/Accord/Altima, as new cars, the cost-comparison may in some cases favor the Tesla.

But my perspective is that of a bottom-feeder. I buy a car after the second owner's son's girlfriend refuses to keep driving it, because the engine makes weird knocking noises and the steering wheel vibrates and the A/C no longer works. In that market, Tesla simply isn't a player - at least not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
What can you expect from CleanTechnica ...aka “Tesla’s propaganda machine”?
Even Clean Technica admits that Teslas are a poor choice for bottom-feeders, who only buy cars after they've depreciated to <10% of their original value. Indeed, the whole argument is new vs. new (Tesla vs. BMW vs. Toyota), or at most gently used vs. gently used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
...EVs have no transmission to service, and an electric motor is far simpler and has less to service than an internal combustion engine. These things do matter.
They do matter, but a consideration that’s often left-out, is that older lower-end economy-oriented cars have a particular robustness to rough usage and shoddy maintenance. Corollas/Camrys from the 1990s are still doing fine. How many Tesla Model-3’s will remain roadworthy in the year 2040?

Old 08-19-2019, 02:00 PM

2,691 posts, read 2,345,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
A Corolla is a vehicle that a lot of people buy when they’re younger and couldn’t get financing for anything much more expensive. Teslas used to qualify for a $7,500 tax credit, but it’s slowly sunsetting.

If someone were considering a BMW 3-Series or Mercedes-Benz C-Class, then I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending a Tesla Model 3. Those three vehicles are similarly priced and sized.
Wow!

I live in a 7 figure house, and own 2 Corollas. I can afford way more, who cares it's a car. Every day it looses value.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:19 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Again, what are the logistics of replacing a bad “module” in the Tesla battery? Seems like a major disassembly task to drop the battery and open it up for service. Do they swap the entire battery instead? If so, what a PITA.
It's major no matter what.
Given that any of these things would be 8 yrs old or have 100K+ miles on it, it's probably not worth doing.
Rebuild Rich on YouTube (he oughta know) says $20,000 for a new pack. Don't know if that includes installation.

The only (mostly) EV I can think of where a battery might be worth doing would be a Cadillac ELR.
It was quite an expensive car when new and a battery pack is much less... no more than $10K installed.
Short range EVs and Volt, forget about it.

Best bet is to hope the battery never goes bad!!

Old 08-19-2019, 02:42 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,337,427 times
On the Tesla forum https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...just-found-out somebody is quoting a$675 for 4 years of scheduled maintenance? Can that be right?

Old 08-19-2019, 02:44 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,337,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Wow!

I live in a 7 figure house, and own 2 Corollas. I can afford way more, who cares it's a car. Every day it looses value.
This just reaffirms my suspicion of who frequents the car forum on C-D; people who don't care about cars.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Wow!

Why'd you waste so much money on a house?
My dream house is a small cheap one with a bunch of garages!

Old 08-19-2019, 03:39 PM

10,512 posts, read 5,189,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Given that any of these things would be 8 yrs old or have 100K+ miles on it, it's probably not worth doing.
Rebuild Rich on YouTube (he oughta know) says $20,000 for a new pack. Don't know if that includes installation.
Elon Musk tweeted: "Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k."

Is he wrong? If I could buy a deeply discounted used 8 year old Model 3 with over 100k miles and spend $7k to get me 300k more miles, I'd do it.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Is he wrong? If I could buy a deeply discounted used 8 year old Model 3 with over 100k miles and spend $7k to get me 300k more miles, I'd do it.
Elon always tells the truth, so go for it and report here what it actually costs you.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:07 PM

21,934 posts, read 25,286,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
On the Tesla forum https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...just-found-out somebody is quoting a$675 for 4 years of scheduled maintenance? Can that be right?
Probably about right. Not much to do besides rotate tires, look at the brake fluid, and change the battery coolant. Tesla charges outlandish amounts of money for maintenance though so done at a Tesla service center that could be correct. Honestly I doubt 10% of people actually follow the maintenance schedule. I don't know anyone that goes in for tire rotations outside of oil changes and since there's no oil changes they probably just don't get rotated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive