Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 05:28 PM

12,527 posts, read 9,606,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
You spent WAY too much on tires for a family car.
Thanks eaton53, I care so much what people on the internet think is wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 05:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,843,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
There has been a lot of ranting about the total cost of ownership of the Camry being rigged. FYI, I just tried the "True Cost to Own" calculator at Edmunds, and it gave a value of $33,175 for a 2019 Camry LE, which is actually not very different from the value of $34,792 in the analysis linked above. Given that any such analysis will use a series of model assumptions and approximations, I am not buying the assertions of a vast Tesla conspiracy at CleanTechnica ;-).

See:
https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry...tyle=401771274
Since we posters have proven this is BS, seems you are moving the goal posts now. The LE now? Why, the only way to prove a Tesla cost is lower? The damn anaylis that you yourself put here shows a 25k price for the Camry, which is the abse model. now for the numbers to work, you want to add the LE package because without this, it does not work at all.

I have zero care what Edmunds or any site says, I have shown you the numbers. The Edmunds is pure BS also. The fuel price is inflated, they list above average miles driven and above average cost of fuel. Maintenance is also inflated as the maintenance costs are no where close to what they show. I would love for them to show what exactly cost almost $500 on year two of maintenance.

Give it up please, you are looking ridiculous now. I love Teslas, want to get one, but this analysis you show is BS.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,843,573 times
Quote:
I guess Edmunds is just part of the conspiracy then. makes perfect sense. For what it's worth, when I had a Honda Accord, I paid about $800 for a set of tires, all up. Now how did I know back then, to get in on this conspiracy??? Oooooooooh!
No conspiracy, Edmunds is just flat wrong, already demonstrated to you by a few posters.

We all own cars, we know how much these things cost...

Old 08-18-2019, 05:36 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,266,488 times
Quote:
Thanks eaton53, I care so much what people on the internet think is wise.
Doesn't matter if you care.
Others now know not to make the same mistake you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
We all own cars, we know how much these things cost...
The prices for every single one of them is just a few clicks away.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Since we posters have proven this is BS, seems you are moving the goal posts now. The LE now? Why, the only way to prove a Tesla cost is lower? The damn anaylis that you yourself put here shows a 25k price for the Camry, which is the abse model. now for the numbers to work, you want to add the LE package because without this, it does not work at all.

I have zero care what Edmunds or any site says, I have shown you the numbers. The Edmunds is pure BS also. The fuel price is inflated, they list above average miles driven and above average cost of fuel. Maintenance is also inflated as the maintenance costs are no where close to what they show. I would love for them to show what exactly cost almost $500 on year two of maintenance.

Give it up please, you are looking ridiculous now. I love Teslas, want to get one, but this analysis you show is BS.
I wish that there were more intelligent, sane people on this forum.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:57 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,266,488 times
Quote:
Intelligent people look up things for themselves.
Edmunds bogus numbers were easily disproved simply by going to places that actually sell the parts and services in question.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Intelligent people look up things for themselves.
Edmunds bogus numbers were easily disproved simply by going to places that actually sell the parts and services in question.
First of all, the fact that one can say, "Hey! you can get cheaper tires at Walmart" is a really lame way to try to invalidate the analysis, seriously? Secondly, many people stated here that the analysis was rigged to try to make Tesla look good by overstating the costs of owing the Toyota. How odd then, that an independent analysis by a different firm, of the same car, which had nothing to do with a Tesla comparison, came in with less than a 10% difference - so maybe it's not rigged, and maybe the estimates aren't unreasonable either. Finally, the whole point of this posting, is that it's a comparative analysis, and the results were really close, which is not what most would say - that's why I found it interesting and why I bothered to post it. If someone wants to continue going on and on by making all kinds of optimistic assumptions about how you get get something done cheaper for the Toyota, then you should do all the same things for the Tesla; or to put it a different way, to the extent that some might assert that there is a positive bias in the analysis to higher costs, such "errors" if I am generous here, would largely be offsetting - it is after all a competitive analysis.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:09 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,962,370 times
Quote:
Intelligent people verify information for themselves before forwarding it on the internet. What did you expect to happen?

Old 08-18-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
:
:
The Camry LE is the car that's in the comparison chart. Why are you so incensed that I used the Camry LE then? How else would I try to get an approximation of the same thing, but to use the same thing?

Old 08-18-2019, 06:18 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,962,370 times
Quote:
First of all, the fact that one can say, "Hey! you can get cheaper tires at Walmart" is a really lame way to try to invalidate the analysis, seriously? Secondly, many people stated here that the analysis was rigged to try to make Tesla look good by overstating the costs of owing the Toyota. How odd then, that an independent analysis by a different firm, of the same car, which had nothing to do with a Tesla comparison, came in with less than a 10% difference - so maybe it's not rigged, and maybe the estimates aren't unreasonable either. Finally, the whole point of this posting, is that it's a comparative analysis, and the results were really close, which is not what most would say - that's why I found it interesting and why I bothered to post it. If someone wants to continue going on and on by making all kinds of optimistic assumptions about how you get get something done cheaper, then you should do all the same things for the Tesla; or to put it a different way, to the extent that some might assert that there is a positive bias in the analysis to higher costs, such "errors" if I am generous here, would largely be offsetting - it is after all a competitive analysis.
They picked a trade in value for a Toyota today and speculated what the theoretical trade in value for a Tesla that just came out last year would be in 4 more years. Not exactly a solid analysis worth sharing.
I noticed you didn’t bother to challenge the absurd insurance claims. Or the maintenance aside from talking about tires which are more expensive on Model 3’s. The entire study is useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive