Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 04:27 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Probably about right. Not much to do besides rotate tires, look at the brake fluid, and change the battery coolant. Tesla charges outlandish amounts of money for maintenance though so done at a Tesla service center that could be correct. Honestly I doubt 10% of people actually follow the maintenance schedule. I don't know anyone that goes in for tire rotations outside of oil changes and since there's no oil changes they probably just don't get rotated.
A typical modern car with a 10k oil change interval and synthetic oil changes driving 13000 miles a year at $100 an oil change (with tire rotation) would come out to $500 in oil changes. At 52k miles at least one engine air filter would require replacement which cost about $15. It’s not the 70’s anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 04:58 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
A typical modern car with a 10k oil change interval and synthetic oil changes driving 13000 miles a year at $100 an oil change (with tire rotation) would come out to $500 in oil changes. At 52k miles at least one engine air filter would require replacement which cost about $15. It’s not the 70’s anymore.
Haven't paid more than $50. Couple times I didn't get a coupon so I just did it myself. Regardless, a Tesla doesn't have oil changes so not sure what that has to do with anything.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Haven't paid more than $50. Couple times I didn't get a coupon so I just did it myself. Regardless, a Tesla doesn't have oil changes so not sure what that has to do with anything.
If Tesla charges $675 for 4 years of maintenance on a car that doesn’t have oil changes, but a gas powered car comes out to $500 with oil changes, then that blows the whole EV’s require less maintenance requirement. I’m well aware an oil change can be done cheaper or done DIY but that just makes the case even more.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:24 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
If Tesla charges $675 for 4 years of maintenance on a car that doesn’t have oil changes, but a gas powered car comes out to $500 with oil changes, then that blows the whole EV’s require less maintenance requirement. I’m well aware an oil change can be done cheaper or done DIY but that just makes the case even more.
My Chevy dealer and my Cadillac dealer both do full synthetic changes for less than $70.
That's without a coupon, so it's even less if I have one. It's not even worth my time to mess with it.

But I have changed the cabin air filter in the Cadillac. Pretty easy and cheap job.
I was already installing a glovebox CD player and saw it back there, so I swapped it out.

Last edited by eaton53; 08-19-2019 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
My Chevy dealer and my Cadillac dealer both do full synthetic changes for less than $70.
That's without a coupon, so it's even less if I have one.
I get it man. I’m throwing the $100 figure out there to be conservative.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I get it man. I’m throwing the $100 figure out there to be conservative.
Bottom line... once a year oil change is pretty cheap.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Bottom line... once a year oil change is pretty cheap.
Yes. Maintenance cost are overblown. In terms of oil changes anyway.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:29 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Assuming you take your car in for the every 6,250 mile tire rotation as the manual calls for that's probably about right. The only real thing to do is check the brake fluid and change the battery coolant at 4 years/50k.

Tesla doesn't really compete with Toyota though. Mercedes charges between $1,500 and $2,800 for a 4 year/40k maintenance plan on the C Class. That doesn't include 6,250 mile tire rotations, just the normal 10k A/B maintenance schedule. $675 is cheaper than $1,500 to $2,800. It's still stupid expensive considering there's really nothing to do besides check the brake fluid and change the battery coolant and most people will pay much less as they're just not going to drive down to a Tesla service center every 6,250 miles to get the tires rotated. Partly it's anal retentiveness. The maintenance schedule on a Toyota for the wiperblades is when they stop working well and the key fob is when the car tells me the battery is low. On a Tesla or Mercedes they're scheduled maintenance. The extra coddling has some cost but most of the price difference is just that Tesla/Mercedes have a higher wallet tax than Toyota. But then it's not like I'd pay for it. I won't even pay Toyota's normal dealership rates for anything unless I get a coupon let alone what Mercedes or Tesla charges.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-19-2019 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-19-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Mercedes charges between $1,500 and $2,800 for a 4 year/40k maintenance plan on the C Class.
Which is why I no longer have a C-Class Mercedes and have a Cadillac instead.
There is none of what I call "maintenance extortion".

Old 08-19-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Assuming you take your car in for the every 6,250 mile tire rotation as the manual calls for that's probably about right. The only real thing to do is check the brake fluid and change the battery coolant at 4 years/50k.

Tesla doesn't really compete with Toyota though. Mercedes charges between $1,500 and $2,800 for a 4 year/40k maintenance plan on the C Class. That doesn't include 6,250 mile tire rotations, just the normal 10k A/B maintenance schedule. $675 is cheaper than $1,500 to $2,800. It's still stupid expensive considering there's really nothing to do besides check the brake fluid and change the battery coolant and most people will pay much less as they're just not going to drive down to a Tesla service center every 6,250 miles to get the tires rotated. Partly it's anal retentiveness. The maintenance schedule on a Toyota for the wiperblades is when they stop working well and the key fob is when the car tells me the battery is low. On a Tesla or Mercedes they're scheduled maintenance. The extra coddling has some cost but most of the price difference is just that Tesla/Mercedes have a higher wallet tax than Toyota. But then it's not like I'd pay for it. I won't even pay Toyota's normal dealership rates for anything unless I get a coupon let alone what Mercedes or Tesla charges.
Mercedes just makes up maintenance cost as a “pay for the privilege” initiation fee. They know most of their customers are ok with just rolling it into their loan. Tesla’s just trying to follow suit, just much less expensive.

As for Tesla’s battery coolant changes, it sounds like it’s more frequent than a common engine coolant change, which is generally at around 100k miles. Since Tesla doesn’t believe in franchising, I would require a three and a half hour trip to the nearest Tesla service center to replace my battery coolant. It’s not like Tire Kingdom is going to do it when they rotate my tires.

Why does Tesla insist on changing AC desiccant every 2-6 years? I’ve never seen a car that required that.
And in case people didn’t know, Tesla’s do have oil and oil filters for gearboxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive