Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 03:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,827,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
https://electrek.co/2018/10/04/super...sla-autopilot/
https://jalopnik.com/one-of-the-best...a-h-1833724088

They're solving the issue in the 2nd link and it's about to make it's way into less expensive cars, going across Cadillac's lineup in 2020.

You're not allowed to sleep while using it... in other words, it stops you from doing something incredibly stupid.
But you don't have to touch the steering wheel either, making it truly hands free.

Sell your current car. Cadillacs don't have range issues and can be your only car.
At my Cadillac dealer, if you have an issue that will even minimally cause you inconvience, they will give you a new Cadillac to drive.
There are no issues getting parts or service either.
looks like the cadillac doesnt have the super cruise on other models yet, just the ct6. based on the articles you posted, it doesnt seem better to go with the cadillac if i have to get a ct6. id rather have it on an xt4. small suv is my preference.

thanks, ill keep an eye out for cadillac. at least i can test drive a cadillac, not sure how to go about doing that with a tesla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 04:29 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,290,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
id rather have it on an xt4. small suv is my preference.
2021 Model year, which the mddle of next year. Today's September 1, so this is not long to wait.
I got an XT4 as a loaner, it's a quite confortable and pleasant vehicle to drive.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:52 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,665,364 times
Quote:
looks like the cadillac doesnt have the super cruise on other models yet, just the ct6. based on the articles you posted, it doesnt seem better to go with the cadillac if i have to get a ct6. id rather have it on an xt4. small suv is my preference.

thanks, ill keep an eye out for cadillac. at least i can test drive a cadillac, not sure how to go about doing that with a tesla.
For scheduling a test drive, you can schedule one through here: https://www.tesla.com/drive

If you’re in New Jersey, you should have a lot of options for where to do a test drive. If small SUV is your preference, the Model Y supposedly gets released next year but will be deploying with the more expensive premium trim lines first. If you’re living in NJ and have a place to park with an electrical outlet you can use, range is a non-issue.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:56 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,074,557 times
Quote:
im looking into picking up a tesla model 3. does tesla have the best self driving technology available? that is one of the main reasons i am interested.

also, am i better off leasing or buying? if it became my only car, id be putting something like 20,000 miles a year on it but i could also keep my current car and split the mileage.

Self driving - I can't say for sure if they have the best one available, since no manufacturer currently has a full self driving feature. Tesla says they will eventually but I think it'll be a monumental task. If anyone does achieve full self driving then I would still put my money on Tesla. I believe Tesla logs all of their vehicles driving patterns and feeds that information to the central servers to hone it's artificial intelligence tool.

As for their current Auto Pilot software, it does a pretty good job driving itself on the freeway. I haven't tried it on side streets.

Lease vs Buy - There's the depreciation uncertainty for an EV but at 20k miles per year I would consider buying. If your mileage is mostly from commuting then range is a non-issue since you can plug in at night. I would lean towards selling the current car since you'll save on insurance/registration.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2019, 09:44 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,993,203 times
As far as self driving goes, I’m all about it, but after coming across a few sketchy left turns against a curved 5 lane city street (with a left turn lane) with traffic from a sloped parking lot, I think “full self driving” is going to be restricted to interstates for awhile. I just don’t see what kind of algorithm and sensor array would be that bullet proof to figure out some of those judgement calls.

Tesla will probably be the first to use self driving because they’re okay with taking risk and passing that risk onto the customer to beta test for them. After a few people die, they’ll adjust their software as they go. Their PR machine will just say it’s statistically still safer than driving without it and not recall it.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:16 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,014,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The analysis below finds that a Tesla Model 3 actually has a slightly lower cost of ownership over 5 years than a Toyota Corolla! I realize that there is some "windage" in any such analysis. However "fuel" cost being significantly lower is found in every analysis, and the powertrain of most EVs is significantly simpler than for an ICE car. At minimum, I think that this shows that the TCO is a lot closer than it appears at first. The Audi is found to have a far higher cost of ownership than the other two, which isn't going to shock most people.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/17...-toyota-camry/
They left out the towing charges for Tesla and the psychological counseling for low self esteem that comes with driving a Camry. Maybe they balance out.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
As far as self driving goes, I’m all about it, but after coming across a few sketchy left turns against a curved 5 lane city street (with a left turn lane) with traffic from a sloped parking lot, I think “full self driving” is going to be restricted to interstates for awhile. I just don’t see what kind of algorithm and sensor array would be that bullet proof to figure out some of those judgement calls.

Tesla will probably be the first to use self driving because they’re okay with taking risk and passing that risk onto the customer to beta test for them. After a few people die, they’ll adjust their software as they go. Their PR machine will just say it’s statistically still safer than driving without it and not recall it.
ive always wondered how they would handle heavy rain or snow when there is low visibility. im also not sure how they would handle many of the situations that arise when driving in nyc. my commute is mostly highway so i should be mostly good

Old 09-04-2019, 11:11 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,993,203 times
Quote:
ive always wondered how they would handle heavy rain or snow when there is low visibility. im also not sure how they would handle many of the situations that arise when driving in nyc. my commute is mostly highway so i should be mostly good
What specifically are you looking for? Easier bumper to bumper traffic? Most of the premium European brands offer some sort of traffic assist that will control steering, gas, and brakes. If you just want to be able to drive hands free on interstates while eating soup or reading the paper, pretty much all brands require hands on the wheel periodically enough to not be that relaxing.
Unfortunately we’re stuck with technology that is about 90% capable right now, but not capable enough to fully relax and trust it. It’s more of an experience like watching a drivers ed student drive your car.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,059,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
2021 Model year, which the mddle of next year. Today's September 1, so this is not long to wait.
I got an XT4 as a loaner, it's a quite confortable and pleasant vehicle to drive.
super cruise is already available on a Kia Soul gt turbo... the only difference is that it will beep after a few moments when your hands are not on the wheel.. what are you going to do with your hands off the wheel anyway..

Old 09-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
What specifically are you looking for? Easier bumper to bumper traffic? Most of the premium European brands offer some sort of traffic assist that will control steering, gas, and brakes. If you just want to be able to drive hands free on interstates while eating soup or reading the paper, pretty much all brands require hands on the wheel periodically enough to not be that relaxing.
Unfortunately we’re stuck with technology that is about 90% capable right now, but not capable enough to fully relax and trust it. It’s more of an experience like watching a drivers ed student drive your car.
im not familiar with what is available to be too specific. i guess i just want whatever will allow me to do less during my daily commute. most of it is highway moving pretty good. some of it is bumper to bumper traffic. id love to be able to eat dinner, watch a movie or read over documents but it seems that isnt an option (though i read somewhere that you can do it with tesla if you just grab the steering wheel when you get a beep from the car).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive