Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 05:39 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
There is nothing romantic about sexual escapades in a car. Just because you can do "something" in a car doesn't make it romantic. I'm willing to bet most women will agree with me on this. I don't know anyone whose first choice of romantic locations would be seat of a car. It was more that there was no better option available. How many times have you heard, "Where do you want to go for our anniversary? Oh, how about the front seat of your car!" And remember, I am not one of those youngsters who have no idea. I was there.
I agree.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 09:31 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I wonder if not needing a transmission tunnel for EVs might lead to some re-emergence of front bench seats.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wonder if not needing a transmission tunnel for EVs might lead to some re-emergence of front bench seats.
You don't need a transmission tunnel in a front wheel drive car either (probably 85% of current production), yet they all have the giant space-robbing consoles.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:26 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You don't need a transmission tunnel in a front wheel drive car either (probably 85% of current production), yet they all have the giant space-robbing consoles.
Good point. I think a good deal of front wheel drive vehicles come with options for all-wheel or four wheel drive systems, so it may be that instead of designing and setting up for production twice, they just stick that big console in regardless.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:19 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
There is nothing romantic about sexual escapades in a car. Just because you can do "something" in a car doesn't make it romantic. I'm willing to bet most women will agree with me on this. I don't know anyone whose first choice of romantic locations would be seat of a car. It was more that there was no better option available. How many times have you heard, "Where do you want to go for our anniversary? Oh, how about the front seat of your car!" And remember, I am not one of those youngsters who have no idea. I was there.
Some "ladies" don't mind

Old 11-10-2020, 02:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I don't know why people hate Minivans but one thing I love about Minivans are the seats are amazing on the front and middle rows. The SUV seats these days are trying to become like minivans but without the complete configuration and incline positions. I used to go to work in my minivan so I can take a nap or have lunch inside with near complete privacy. It's also great to have a romantic talk having a good couch like middle row.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:56 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Don't all seating positions now require a head restraint and shoulder belt, in addition to the previously required lap belt? If so, probably not worth the cost to automakers, considering the front center passenger position was probably the least-used seating position.

For example, my 2006 model extended-cab truck (w/front bucket seats) didn't have head restraints for the rear seat passengers. But my 2015 same make/model/configuration/trim-level truck does have head restraints for the rear seat.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:20 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Car makers install front bucket seats instead of bench seats, for the same reasons car makers do anything: More people buy them that way.

Old 11-10-2020, 06:24 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Car makers install front bucket seats instead of bench seats, for the same reasons car makers do anything: More people buy them that way.
This is exactly right. Auto companies will do whatever they can to sell cars. If there was a market for it, they would build it. Same with manual transmissions. They don't stop offering them to save cost, because if that was the only reason then another competitor would meet the market demand and steal their sales. Complexity is always a serious issue, there is only so much space along side of the assembly line (or more cost for just in time delivery/scheduled), engineering cost to design more stuff, more suppliers to manage, more employees needed, etc, so if they offer an option that has a low take rate, unless they can charge more $$ for extra revenue they will lose money.

Also, bucket seats are way better for really driving a car in a sporty way. They keep you planted rather than sliding around when turning.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 11-10-2020 at 06:33 PM..

Old 11-10-2020, 06:34 PM

7,703 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
In the olden days . . . long before most reading here were born.

All cars had bench seats. And when one viewed a man and a woman in the front seat. One could tell married women from single women.

The woman was snuggled up next to driver - if dating.
The woman was over to the far side near passenger window if married.

Get it ?
Yeah, probably because the married couple got a dog and it was relaxing up front between the two of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive