Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 06:45 AM

6,579 posts, read 7,187,828 times

Advertisements

I found a dealer that decided to add $100k onto msrp of a somewhat desirable car, but not desirable that price range. So there’s $100k in wiggle/negotiation room.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 06:57 AM

4,908 posts, read 3,335,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds1 View Post
Takeaway #5. Grown men that wear sandals aren't taken seriously.
Laughed out loud... because I feel exactly the same way! Judgy, we are.

Someone early on said they want the WORST salesperson. I say give me the BEST, especially at a 'volume' dealership, because they're busy selling cars and don't have time to play the BS games.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:18 AM

6,508 posts, read 3,191,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Laughed out loud... because I feel exactly the same way! Judgy, we are.

Someone early on said they want the WORST salesperson. I say give me the BEST, especially at a 'volume' dealership, because they're busy selling cars and don't have time to play the BS games.
Good point. I've been buying new cars, every several years, since 1971. Since I'm now retired, and have time to spare, while the negotiations can be frustrating, I also consider them a challenge. Secondly, I never wait until I NEED a new car, therefore if I can't negotiate what I consider an acceptable deal, I can simply say, "Thanks for your time", get up and leave.

To me, the classic situation occurred to me the last time I bought a new vehicle. I had done my research, and presented the dealer with a deal that was aggressive, for me, probably marginal, at best, for them, but worst case, a good place to start the negotiations.

After initially dealing with the salesman, selecting what I wanted, he politely excused himself, and the 6'5", 300 pound "closer" stepped in. Fortunately for me, A) I don't intimidate easily, and B) I recognized this as just a part of the game. He started out by asking me if I had shopped my offer around, I replied, "No, NOT YET", with a VERY serious look. The negotiation was over in about 2 minutes, as they came down $500, I came up $500, which I truly felt was a fair deal, and that was that.....

And with respect to being "sized up" when entering a dealership, I encountered that, several times, the worst example when I was buying my first new car. I was 19, at the time, looked like maybe 16, and nobody wanted to take care of me.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:19 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,805,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Ideally, I don't want ANY salesperson. I wish Amazon would get into the car sales game. You pick from a list of available makes, models, trims, and options (like those configure your car type thingies), apply for financing online, buy your extended warranty/service plan thingies (if you want) then the car comes to you on a truck. You take it for a spin and if you like it, you sign for it and you're done. All paperwork is DocuSigned.

No haggling, no back and forth, no negotiation, slimy salespeople, none of that. If the price is acceptable to me, I buy, if it's not, I don't. Simple as that.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:02 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,721,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I read a very long article about a private jet salesman in London. He stated that he makes more sales to those in jeans-and-tshirts that those in suits, as the former are more likely to have the means to make a purchase whereas the latter are more likely to be trying to look like they're worth more than they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Someone buying a private jet usually doesn't work for someone else. Someone that doesn't work for someone else can wear whta they want.
Completely irrelevant, because, a) most people purchase vehicles on their own time, not while working, and b) the point that judging by appearance holds.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:57 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,639,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

And with respect to being "sized up" when entering a dealership, I encountered that, several times, the worst example when I was buying my first new car. I was 19, at the time, looked like maybe 16, and nobody wanted to take care of me.
When I was a teenager, I stopped at a deserted dealership one night to check out a Mustang. The lone salesman in the office "sized me up" and never bothered to leave his chair. When I left the lot, he saw me heading towards my father's relatively new Challenger. Suddenly, the guy literally ran out to intercept me before I got in the car. He was all smiles and let me test drive the Mustang and chatted me up like I was an old friend. Seeing that I actually drove there in a nice car changed everything.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,891,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Amusing to read. Over here in the Bay Area every housekeeper or pool cleaner drives some sort of a luxury car like Audi, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Can't spit on most of the streets of SF without hitting one. So when someone says they looked like upper-middle class buying an Audi I figure they must be from Alabama. Over here upper-middle class drives either a Tesla S or some sort of gaudy monstrosity like G/S-klasse or Bentley. Audi is for peasants.
Wish I’d saved the link because I found an interesting article a while back about car buying habits of more than $10 million net worth households. The breakdown was something like 60% luxury cars and 40% appliances like a nice truck or a Honda Accord. We were in the parking lot of the Alwahanee Hotel in Yosemite ($600 normal all-in summer room rate) and the most common vehicle there was the outdoorsy appliance Subaru Outback.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:57 AM

10,919 posts, read 7,446,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAmsterdam View Post
I just cannot see how you can purchase such an expensive item without first SEEING/DRIVING it.
I've known several people who bought HOUSES sight unseen. It didn't usually work out well. What's the mindset? "Gee, I really want a house (or car) like that, but I don't want to go to the trouble of going to see it in person."

Old 07-11-2021, 02:31 PM

6,508 posts, read 3,191,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
When I was a teenager, I stopped at a deserted dealership one night to check out a Mustang. The lone salesman in the office "sized me up" and never bothered to leave his chair. When I left the lot, he saw me heading towards my father's relatively new Challenger. Suddenly, the guy literally ran out to intercept me before I got in the car. He was all smiles and let me test drive the Mustang and chatted me up like I was an old friend. Seeing that I actually drove there in a nice car changed everything.
Did you wind up buying the car?

Old 07-12-2021, 08:39 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,639,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Did you wind up buying the car?
Nope. I was in high school. Couldn't afford a Mustang key fob. Also, the power brakes were insanely touchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive