Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 02:02 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,721,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I was just speaking with a woman who has built a decades long career in sales and was on staff at a very high-end jewelry store. She commented about how the first thing a salesperson should understand is to avoid assumptions, as she once had a guy in overalls and a beat-up pickup buy a $500K bracelet from her store. She said in her experience, the people who appear to be the ones of the most modest means were often their wealthiest customers.
I read a very long article about a private jet salesman in London. He stated that he makes more sales to those in jeans-and-tshirts that those in suits, as the former are more likely to have the means to make a purchase whereas the latter are more likely to be trying to look like they're worth more than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 02:08 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,520,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
My two BEST car buying experiences buying new cars.

2) In 2012, buying a Scion xB. Scion dealerships had "no dicker stickers." I again did the entire transaction on the telephone. But, with two dealerships in town, I eventually got one to allow me to charge $10,000 of the purchase price on my Costco credit card (cash back). Then the other, to be competitive, allowed me to charge the entire purchase amount on it - something in the low $20 thousands, IIRC. Furthermore, we agreed up front on the trade-in of an old beater (97 Corolla with about 300,000 miles on it). An employee drove the Scion to my house; I signed the paperwork & credit card transaction receipt, and he drove off in the beater.
In Texas, it is against the law to buy a car on a credit card. But apparently it is allowed in your state.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:22 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,723,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
In Texas, it is against the law to buy a car on a credit card. But apparently it is allowed in your state.

The last time I bought a new car in Texas, I paid 3k using my credit card and the rest with a check.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:48 AM

258 posts, read 230,735 times
Amusing to read. Over here in the Bay Area every housekeeper or pool cleaner drives some sort of a luxury car like Audi, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Can't spit on most of the streets of SF without hitting one. So when someone says they looked like upper-middle class buying an Audi I figure they must be from Alabama. Over here upper-middle class drives either a Tesla S or some sort of gaudy monstrosity like G/S-klasse or Bentley. Audi is for peasants.

The fact that dealer looked down on you for driving a CRV is kind of sad though. I'd write them a nice review on Yelp for it.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:21 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,723,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Amusing to read. Over here in the Bay Area every housekeeper or pool cleaner drives some sort of a luxury car like Audi, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Can't spit on most of the streets of SF without hitting one. So when someone says they looked like upper-middle class buying an Audi I figure they must be from Alabama. Over here upper-middle class drives either a Tesla S or some sort of gaudy monstrosity like G/S-klasse or Bentley. Audi is for peasants.

The fact that dealer looked down on you for driving a CRV is kind of sad though. I'd write them a nice review on Yelp for it.

Living without roommates is a status symbol in SF Bay!

Old 07-07-2021, 07:52 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,676,819 times
Quote:
Fascinating. The transaction I mention is in Nevada.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:31 AM

15,818 posts, read 20,586,820 times
I never really experienced anything bad like the OP. I've actually had a few good stories.

Mid 20's. I had a decent job and was starting to become financially comfortable. I wanted a nice car. My college ride (that i bought myself hen i was 19) was a 1993 Lincoln Mark 8 with leaking airbags. When you parked it, the car would sink to the ground due to the leaking bags.

I wanted an Infiniti G35 coupe 6-spd. I could afford it. I drove my busted down Mark 8 to the Infiniti dealer, parked it out front and walked in wearing a T-shirt and jeans. Found a younger salesman and started talking to him a bit about the new Athens Blue 2005 G35 coupe out front. I ask him to take it for a test drive. Without hesitation he sets me up and slaps a plate on and then says he needs to stay back to help with a different sale that was ongoing. He lets me go out alone.

Believe it or not, i didn't joyride the car. I took it down side roads and the highway and genuinely gave it a test drive with the intention of buying it. I went back to the dealership and bought that car.

Kept that car 8 years. Was a nice car.

Honestly, my only issue with dealerships these days is i can't keep the salesmen from swarming all over me the second I step out of my car when i go to one. At least give me 5 mins to look around.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:28 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I read a very long article about a private jet salesman in London. He stated that he makes more sales to those in jeans-and-tshirts that those in suits, as the former are more likely to have the means to make a purchase whereas the latter are more likely to be trying to look like they're worth more than they are.
Someone buying a private jet usually doesn't work for someone else. Someone that doesn't work for someone else can wear whta they want.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The last time I bought a new car in Texas, I paid 3k using my credit card and the rest with a check.
$3K is a common limit that they'll take.

AFAIK it isn't actually illegal in any states, though dealers will say that. And, they have good reason to. Aside from the fee, it isn't as secure for the dealership. If you decide to dispute the transaction afterwards the dealer can have their money tied up for an indeterminate time period.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:45 PM

5,466 posts, read 6,093,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Someone buying a private jet usually doesn't work for someone else. Someone that doesn't work for someone else can wear whta they want.

$3K is a common limit that they'll take.

AFAIK it isn't actually illegal in any states, though dealers will say that. And, they have good reason to. Aside from the fee, it isn't as secure for the dealership. If you decide to dispute the transaction afterwards the dealer can have their money tied up for an indeterminate time period.
Always good to have erroneous information corrected. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2021, 01:27 PM

13,288 posts, read 8,488,520 times
Step out of the bubble. Treat the business transaction with the mutual regard of: I need x. Price. Pay. Leave. Done.

Then come in with the who wishes to provide that simple task?

The days of keep away or take from the golden goose are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive